Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No. Mastering processes is a part of cutting lacquer. Whether you’re cutting from tape or digital file, analog signal goes through mastering console to amplifiers and finally to cutter head. You need a mastering process even for a previously mastered tape or file.

Mastering also means shining sound or achieving a desired sound for the last 40+ years but during the vinyl era mastering meant basically cutting lacquers that will play without problems. That’s why people who cut lacquers are called mastering engineers.

MOFI doesn’t mention any mastering process while transferring music from tape to dsd or any digital mastering afterwards. So it’s not a mastering process, it’s simply a digital transfer. They do mastering while cutting lacquers.

also when people talk about the golden era, apart from the equipment used then the cutting lacquer part of the mastering process was an art. Now it is probably an algorithm. Difference between a master chef cooking, tasting, correcting and some amateur following a a recipe

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
also when people talk about the golden era, apart from the equipment used then the cutting lacquer part of the mastering process was an art. Now it is probably an algorithm. Difference between a master chef cooking, tasting, correcting and some amateur following a a recipe

I think that is a generalization. I have seen many videos of Kevin Gray cutting Blue Note LPs. Bellman and Grundman as well.

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think that is a generalization. I have seen many videos of Kevin Gray cutting Blue Note LPs. Bellman and Grundman as well.

that’s why they are the better ones in the current lot. but the point is there is a reason this is not simply related to advancement of technology.

Reactions: mtemur

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Yes to the point it is an extra digital step. Depends on the machinery. When cutting traditionally it isn’t a set it and forget it. They need attention to adjust as they go. Basically between tracks.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
really? and some local Seattle guys? :( :oops: :rolleyes:

signs Armageddon is upon us.......i think i'll put my head in the sand. i already don't want to think about it.

and i'll have to explain this to people here......how many times? :eek: this is not going to be a net gain for our hobby.

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My guess is this may get thrown out. Not sure if this has merit. It will be some time before we know.

I have a few of the early one steps and most are reported to sound great-excellent. I do like Sinatra at the Sands and Hot Buttered Soul. Waiting to see if those were DSD64. The WaPo article quoted them as stating 2011 was when they started. Chances are they may have started earlier.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Now it is probably an algorithm. Difference between a master chef cooking, tasting, correcting and some amateur following a a recipe
This statement isn't correct. Spend any time around a mastering lathe and you'll see why. It takes some time to get to know the ropes. If you don't know what you are doing, you will blow up the cutter head which is unpleasant at best. Put another way there's no algorithm- its still an art.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have not read the complaint (it is available to read and can an non-attorney understand it?). However, even if they win the argument about being deceived how would the damages be calculated if many of the LPs are worth more than they cost when purchased?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have not. What’s your opinion?
My opinion is that it’s ill-advised to have an opinion if one has not read the complaint.

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

This lawsuit may damage our hobby - I’m not sure - but whether it comes from a manufacturer, dealer, etc. deceptive advertising and claims about audiophile products definitely harms it. I personally don‘t desire to do business with such companies….

I think it’s good that audiophiles hold MoFi responsible for what they’ve done. Some have chosen to not purchase from them any more and apparently some are suing them. Hopefully if any other labels and or manufactures are doing the same as MoFi has been, they will clean up their act!

I think this may be the first of other lawsuits to come. But only time will tell.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. Mastering processes is a part of cutting lacquer. Whether you’re cutting from tape or digital file, analog signal goes through mastering console to amplifiers and finally to cutter head. You need a mastering process even for a previously mastered tape or file.

Mastering also means shining sound or achieving a desired sound for the last 40+ years but during the vinyl era mastering meant basically cutting lacquers that will play without problems. That’s why people who cut lacquers are called mastering engineers.

MOFI doesn’t mention any mastering process while transferring music from tape to dsd or any digital mastering afterwards. So it’s not a mastering process, it’s simply a digital transfer. They do mastering while cutting lacquers.

Although mastering can be part of the cutting process, it is not mandatory that it is made at the cutting time - sometimes "cutting tapes" , adequate to the limits needed for vinyl cutting, were prepared in advance and just used at the cutting time directly to the cutter console.

In fact, at the early phase of digital , it was found that some very poor sounding CDs were inadvertently recorded from these tapes.

Our member Bruce B had an excellent series of posts about mastering in WBF a few years ago, I thing at about the time he was mastering the Wilson Audio files.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My opinion is that it’s ill-advised to have an opinion if one has not read the complaint.

I think we do not need reading it to have a general opinion. Except for a fair compensation to those who feel that have been crooked I do not see any advantage in law suits involving the high-end.

The high-end history is filled with law suites - just remembering about Mark Levinson, Magnepan versus Apogee , Krell - but as far as I remember never because a company has been involved in this type of fraud against consumers. IMHO the high-end will loose its image of credibility with this lawsuit.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
I think we do not need reading it to have a general opinion. Except for a fair compensation to those who feel that have been crooked I do not see any advantage in law suits involving the high-end.

The high-end history is filled with law suites - just remembering about Mark Levinson, Magnepan versus Apogee , Krell - but as far as I remember never because a company has been involved in this type of fraud against consumers. IMHO the high-end will loose its image of credibility with this lawsuit.
At this juncture, all we know is that is a civil case being tried in a Federal court. The US District Court. The filing that I attached mentions diversity. In legal terms that would mean that the plaintiffs are from two different states and the lawsuit deals with a value of $75,000 at a MINIMUM. Absent the reading of an official COMPLAINT we have NO idea what the plaintiffs are asking of the court. Thus, NO information upon which we can debate the grounds of the case.

I, and possibly others, are endeavouring to gain access to the court documents. For the past week, I have been writing about this "The MoFi Predicament" over at dagogo.com and have been adding updates in the Comments section as I learn more. The MoFi Predicament - Dagogo. Please feel free to visit.

PS. I am not a lawyer, but I am engaging in diligent legal research, and calling upon several corporate and criminal lawyers in my personal network to assist in my understanding from a legal perspective.

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

But how is anyone going to get fair compensation? I haven’t seen where MoFi has offered any, have you? They had an opportunity. What about those vinyl stores that invested heavily in MoFi one-steps for resale? What about their loss of sales? Who’s going to pay them back?

High-end audio was harmed the instant all this came to light. Washington Post ran it, so it’s already in the public eye. The failure to hold MoFi accountable at this point will harm the hobby even more IMO.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But how is anyone going to get fair compensation?

Offering owners a pendrive with a genuine DSD256 file in a luxury box with a numbered apology letter carrying the same number as the LP. It will become valuable in a few years! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and Audire

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This statement isn't correct. Spend any time around a mastering lathe and you'll see why. It takes some time to get to know the ropes. If you don't know what you are doing, you will blow up the cutter head which is unpleasant at best. Put another way there's no algorithm- its still an art.

There is a digitally controlled system for it. The tech is a little over a decade in use.

Reactions: bonzo75

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Offering owners a pendrive with a genuine DSD256 file in a luxury box with a numbered apology letter carrying the same number as the LP. It will become valuable in a few years! :)
So customers thought they were being sold AAA Vinyl and you want to offer them a DSD file? That just adds insult to injury! Besides customers already have DSD in the record that was deceptively sold to them. :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing