Do I really need an " Audio Grade Network Switch "?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It's good to hear that many people tried isolators already. I think a good idea for a beginner is to get a medical-grade isolator. They hold value pretty well, so it's easy to get your money back. Additionally, they have guaranteed low leakage which is very important in audio. When we connect lots of different devices, leakage currents can induce noise.

Reactions: Alrainbow

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
New Switch on it's way. Brand new design and layout. Will be layering two of HNEs switches, this one is being added to my existing HNE switch pictured in this thread. I will keep you updated on what I hear!

Last one was equivalent to the difference of adding a nice preamp to my system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.34.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.34.04 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.57.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.57.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: Mark38

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Is HNE from Vietnam? I had never heard of that brand before. There are a lot of small companies manufacturing excellent products but I guess it would be impossible for ”legal” reasons to use one in EU.. I think you know that all products using 230 volt must have a CE certification when sold within EU. If imported directly from a non EU country the importer takes full responsibility if something goes wrong. Risky.
Prior buying Farad I saw that an UK LPS manufacturer lacked that certificate so I took it out from my shortlist.
Never the less I am curious to here what you think of the new on. True, a good Switch / LPS is like a pre amp upgrade.

jma6

Jan 18, 2020
France
New Switch on it's way. Brand new design and layout. Will be layering two of HNEs switches, this one is being added to my existing HNE switch pictured in this thread. I will keep you updated on what I hear!

Last one was equivalent to the difference of adding a nice preamp to my system.
Have you received it ? Can you make comments on the sq of this new switch .
I am interested by this HNE switch .

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have not read any comments on this issue but I will share my experience. After I tried all kind of diffrent PS I tried to use a battery as a main PS. What a diffrence, so much more analog sounding, all that was getting better when I added one more switch in parallel and obtained highend ethernet Cables from AAI Maestozo. Now I am set for a while. I am sure I can still get better with something in the market since the streaming is growing so fast. I am happy now with this solution, it sounds very close to analog(Tambaqui, Pink Faun as a source). 20231028_163121.jpg

Last edited:

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have not read any comments on this issue but I will share my experience. After I tried all kind of diffrent PS I tried to use a battery as a main PS. What a diffrence, so much more analog sounding, all that was getting better when I added one more switch in parallel and obtained highend ethernet Cables from AAI Maestozo. Now I am set for a while. I am sure I can still get better with something in the market since the streaming is growing so fast. I am happy now with this solution, it sounds very close to analog(Tambaqui, Pink Faun as a source). View attachment 118927
Looks interesting. Please explore.
I see Varta. Which model and approx price.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Very late to the discussion but I would like to add that these Ethernet tweaks have a limit - the best possible sound is if there is no LAN connection.

Normally if one disconnects the LAN from a streamer to hear the effect, the music stops or at the very least the controls stop functioning. So this is not possible for long term use. But it's possible to hear the effects of the best possible LAN connection, one that is not connected. The playback software need to have a full buffering function like Euphony v4 which I current use. It allows a full buffering of local and streaming Tidal/Qobuz tracks into the RAM and plays from there. So once buffered, one can disconnect the LAN cable and playback of the playlist still continues.

There is one further point that once the LAN cable is disconnected, the OS might continue to search for a working connection thereby increasing the workload and affecting the sound adversely. Euphony v4 has a function to switch off the network systems for a set period of time. So this can be used during the LAN disconnect hearing tests to avoid this handshake loading.

Having tried this on my Pink Faun system, I found very little difference between my current network set up :

Orbi wireless satelite (powered by Paul Hynes DR7t+) -->
Trio of SOtM ethernet cables (dCBL-CAT7, iSO-CAT6, dCBL-CAT7) -->
Pink Faun 2.16x streamer / Euphony v4 operating normally

vs.

A disconnect of the LAN cable from the streamer with Euphony switching off PF's networks.

This means my network is mostly optimised for my current setup and no further attention is needed. Furthermore I can return to playing with the LAN cable connected and ethernet functions turned on without any sound degradation.

or it could mean my system is poor and isn't resolving enough to hear the LAN issues! :D

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Very late to the discussion but I would like to add that these Ethernet tweaks have a limit - the best possible sound is if there is no LAN connection.

Normally if one disconnects the LAN from a streamer to hear the effect, the music stops or at the very least the controls stop functioning. So this is not possible for long term use. But it's possible to hear the effects of the best possible LAN connection, one that is not connected. The playback software need to have a full buffering function like Euphony v4 which I current use. It allows a full buffering of local and streaming Tidal/Qobuz tracks into the RAM and plays from there. So once buffered, one can disconnect the LAN cable and playback of the playlist still continues.

There is one further point that once the LAN cable is disconnected, the OS might continue to search for a working connection thereby increasing the workload and affecting the sound adversely. Euphony v4 has a function to switch off the network systems for a set period of time. So this can be used during the LAN disconnect hearing tests to avoid this handshake loading.

Having tried this on my Pink Faun system, I found very little difference between my current network set up :

vs.

A disconnect of the LAN cable from the streamer with Euphony switching off PF's networks.

This means my network is mostly optimised for my current setup and no further attention is needed. Furthermore I can return to playing with the LAN cable connected and ethernet functions turned on without any sound degradation.

or it could mean my system is poor and isn't resolving enough to hear the LAN issues! :D
Interesting Idea, maybe playing from a battery powered offline buffer is the future of streaming...

I can take the LAN connection of my Statement offline and it does slightly sweeten local playback. It shows me my 3 switches and power supplies and ethernet cable filters could be better?

I am curious to try the Waversa filters. Of course the expensive one is better but how much better, and how does the lower cost one compare to products like the ENO and SOtM and the like?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia

vs.

Hi,
please, may I know which type of plug has the DC cable connector to Orbi satellite. Is it a 5.5 x 2.5 male connector?

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Another believer in the use of audiophile switches, LPS’ and quality power cables. Also the Ferrum Hypsos power supply combines the best of a LPS and switched power supply.
I use the SoTM, Melco and Telegartner, in that order. The Melco and Telegartner are powered by the Sean Jacobs LPS. Excellent. The SoTM and Orbi router use the Ferrum Hypsos power supply.
Use of these devices has made streaming a totally different experience. You can listen to streamed music critically although a local file still slays it!
I’m about to replace my primary 6 year old Ethernet feed cable (upgrade) as my next step.
An important takeaway from all these posts is the importance of power in network audio. It’s critical.

antigrunge

Jan 17, 2022
The Etherregen tricked out with a decent LPS and reclocked with a quality clock is no slouch. In my system I use a netgear and an Lhyaudio OCXO switch in front of it. Daisy chaining switches is actually an alternative to going fibre, which in the conversion process has its own challenges with regard to soundstage, attack and decay.

Reactions: Re-tread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing