Deadwood

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
ok, so who was a fan of this show? Many "Best ofs" have DW as a top 10 show of all time.

I just made it through Season One- while a little slow, the acting is exceptional. The swearing has started to grate on me a bit.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Deadwood is right up there with some of my other favorite series. They cut Deadwood about one season too short. Not sure if you noticed but at least a dozen of Deadwoods characters also had roles on Sons of Anarchy. Several also showed up on Justified.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes, Deadwood was great. Along with Rome, HBO got into a cost cutting mode and canceled both shows are being too expensive. I could understand Rome, but Deadwood was just some wooden buildings on a local set.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
ok, so who was a fan of this show? Many "Best ofs" have DW as a top 10 show of all time.

I just made it through Season One- while a little slow, the acting is exceptional. The swearing has started to grate on me a bit.

Deadwood is right up there with some of my other favorite series. They cut Deadwood about one season too short. Not sure if you noticed but at least a dozen of Deadwoods characters also had roles on Sons of Anarchy. Several also showed up on Justified.

IMO Deadwood was one of the best shows ever on cable. Yes every other word is an expletive deleted and the value of a life was meaningless as death and carnage runs rampant on Deadwood. It ended too prematurely and they were going to make a movie to wrap it all up but it never materialized

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Actually it looks like 15 characters turned up on SOA. A few of them key roles

Fifteen members of the cast of Deadwood (2004) also starred in Sons of Anarchy (2008). The list includes Tony Swift (Prospector/Biker), Tim DeZam (Townsman/Nate Meineke), Kevin P. Kearns (Pasco/Luke), Dan Hildebrand (Shaughnessy/Tim Driscoll/Sean Casey) , Julie Ariola (Countess/Mary Winston ), Cleo King (Aunt Lou Marchbanks/Neeta), Dayton Callie (Charlie Utter/Chief Wayne Unser), Paula Malcomson (Trixie/Maureen Ashby), Robin Weigert (Calamity Jane/Ally Lowen), Titus Welliver (Silas Adams/Jimmy O'Phelan), Jamie McShane (Ned Mason/Cameron Hayes), Ray McKinnon (Reverend H.W. Smith/Lincoln Potter), Jim Cody Williams (Terrence/Uncle Vinky). Kim Dickens (Joanie Stubbs/Colette Jane),Keone Young (Mr. Wu/Bohai Lin)

Steve Williams

Yes, Deadwood was great. Along with Rome, HBO got into a cost cutting mode and canceled both shows are being too expensive. I could understand Rome, but Deadwood was just some wooden buildings on a local set.

I also agree about Rome. It too was way out there but far too expensive to produce. So similarly The Borgias which I loved and ended far too soon

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
IMO Deadwood was one of the best shows ever on cable. Yes every other word is an expletive deleted and the value of a life was meaningless as death and carnage runs rampant on Deadwood. It ended too prematurely and they were going to make a movie to wrap it all up but it never materialized

+1- Love that show and if anything a good window into another time.

david

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We also enjoyed Rome and Borgia's. All three of these left you hanging with their abrupt cancelations. I have to say that as good as these were the Gold Standard is still "The Wire". Television acting and storytelling at its very best. Another series that held up well and actually finished when it should was The Tudors.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Deadwood...at first I thought that this might be a tonearm discussion :).

Great show on human nature, loved the Calamity Jane actress; however, I must admit, was quite partial to Al.

Cheers!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
We also enjoyed Rome and Borgia's. All three of these left you hanging with their abrupt cancelations. I have to say that as good as these were the Gold Standard is still "The Wire". Television acting and storytelling at its very best. Another series that held up well and actually finished when it should was The Tudors.

Yes, agree with you that the Wire is the best of all time (still).

Steve Williams

I watched every episode of The Tudors and it too was a favorite. Problem was it was not renewed for the next season and as a result in mid season the story line had to be dramatically changed. I thought the series finale was the weakest episode

BTW the abrupt cancellations were due to production costs

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I have to say that as good as these were the Gold Standard is still "The Wire". Television acting and storytelling at its very best.

Still have to check out The Wire, but the Gold Standard for me are: 'Sherlock' and 'Hannibal' (first two seasons). Not sure Hannibal's third season is panning out well though.

'Breaking Bad' was awesome too.

Steve Williams

Still have to check out The Wire, but the Gold Standard for me are: 'Sherlock' and 'Hannibal' (first two seasons). Not sure Hannibal's third season is panning out well though.

'Breaking Bad' was awesome too.
I know many feel the Wire to have been the best but for me Breaking Bad ranks supreme.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I know many feel the Wire to have been the best but for me Breaking Bad ranks supreme.

Have you checked out 'Better Call Saul', Steve? You'll like it.

Forgot to mention that Netflix/Marvel's 'DareDevil' was very good too (but takes from Hannibal).

Sherlock was #1, but one episode in Hannibal Season 2 made me sit straight and say 'woah!'.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
BTW the abrupt cancellations were due to production costs

So annoying when this happens. For a long time I had stopped watching shows because of this. Then came Netflix and the better made-for-TV shows and the ability to binge watch shows with complete seasons and story arcs.

Made it all worthwhile again.

Steve Williams

Have you checked out 'Better Call Saul', Steve? You'll like it.

Forgot to mention that Netflix/Marvel's 'DareDevil' was very good too (but takes from Hannibal).

Sherlock was #1, but one episode in Hannibal Season 2 made me sit straight and say 'woah!'.

I watched the first season of Better Call Saul and essentially it was developing some of the past stories so I am hoping Season 2 will be better

Steve Williams

So annoying when this happens. For a long time I had stopped watching shows because of this. Then came Netflix and the better made-for-TV shows and the ability to binge watch shows with complete seasons and story arcs.

Made it all worthwhile again.

I'm a subsubriber to Netflix as well

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Since I don't have HBO, I have always binged watched their shows, because I would buy the BRs. Unfortunately, I was always a season behind. :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
the one show around the same time as Deadwood that I tried but ended up quitting a few seasons in was 6 Feet Under. Just got too dark for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing