Choral music on 15ips (IEC) reel to reel tapes?

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello all and hope you had a great weekend. I can't help it. As much as I love modern jazz, I may love choral classical music more? Does anyone know if any company I may have missed has recorded any of Wm Byrd, Tallis, Bach, Motzart, Berlioz or other small or large scale choral work? So far, I don't know of Tape Project having made such a tape. Is there anything coming in the near future? Give me a "heads up" if you know anything. :( Thanks all.

jazzbo Bob

Hi Bob, Opus 3 has some choral releases, Bach etc. The title I have is Musica Sacra by the Erik Westberg Ensemble. Their tapes are expensive, $450 each since they are direct dups from the original analogue 2 track masters, limited to 50 copies, and consists of 2 reels per album. I have about 10 of them and they are wonderful. A nice sampler is $250, but not a direct dup. Lots of jazz also (but with local Scandinavian artists). I do mostly classical, but did get the Eric Bibb Rainbow People album, that I already have in vinyl. The contact person, Kevin Berg, Berg_Kevin@hotmail.com is in your neighborhood, greater Atlanta, 770-316-6831. The tapes are made to order in Sweden and then shipped to Kevin who sends them to the customer.
I just checked on the Opus 3 website (look for List of Master Tapes.) There is a second sampler available and to see the choral albums, you need to click near the top of the page to see their list of SACD's which are available also as master tapes.

You can google Opus 3 tapes and Myles Astor has a review in Positive Feedback of the first sampler tape.

Larry

Hello all and hope you had a great weekend. I can't help it. As much as I love modern jazz, I may love choral classical music more? Does anyone know if any company I may have missed has recorded any of Wm Byrd, Tallis, Bach, Motzart, Berlioz or other small or large scale choral work? So far, I don't know of Tape Project having made such a tape. Is there anything coming in the near future? Give me a "heads up" if you know anything. :( Thanks all.

jazzbo Bob

Hello AstroToy,

Good guy thank you for getting back to me so quickly with this great information. I will check this out. You are right regarding the price, but, "you don't get top quality for nothing". Thanks again sir.

jazzbo Bob

Hi Bob, Opus 3 has some choral releases, Bach etc. The title I have is Musica Sacra by the Erik Westberg Ensemble. Their tapes are expensive, $450 each since they are direct dups from the original analogue 2 track masters, limited to 50 copies, and consists of 2 reels per album. I have about 10 of them and they are wonderful. A nice sampler is $250, but not a direct dup. Lots of jazz also (but with local Scandinavian artists). I do mostly classical, but did get the Eric Bibb Rainbow People album, that I already have in vinyl. The contact person, Kevin Berg, Berg_Kevin@hotmail.com is in your neighborhood, greater Atlanta, 770-316-6831. The tapes are made to order in Sweden and then shipped to Kevin who sends them to the customer.
I just checked on the Opus 3 website (look for List of Master Tapes.) There is a second sampler available and to see the choral albums, you need to click near the top of the page to see their list of SACD's which are available also as master tapes.

You can google Opus 3 tapes and Myles Astor has a review in Positive Feedback of the first sampler tape.

Larry

And 2nd sampler tape too! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing