CH Precision D1

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
from Danon : To me Vitus MP-D sounded more analog , detail retrieval of both DAC's are in the same league. CH will sound impressive initially but as you pump up the vol, digititis creeps in .CH is out of my room. Vitus is staying.

Danon and I are buddies and I'm familiar with his system which consists of very high end stuff...Clearaudio statement tt, AFO, top of the line Vitus electronics, Pendragon, etc, etc. With due respect to Danon and from my listening impression, I prefer the C1 (even without the X1). Caveat: I own the C1 with the streaming card and I'm waiting for the X1 to arrive.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Danon and I are buddies and I'm familiar with his system which consists of very high end stuff...Clearaudio statement tt, AFO, top of the line Vitus electronics, Pendragon, etc, etc. With due respect to Danon and from my listening impression, I prefer the C1 (even without the X1). Caveat: I own the C1 with the streaming card and I'm waiting for the X1 to arrive.

Hi Thf99,
Congratulation!
Looking forward to your report on C1 vs C1+X1.
Many thanks in advnace!

nickif

May 17, 2013
Thanks to CK, pulled the trigger on the C1 with Ethernet card...now scratching my head on the idea of getting the D1 as well(they look so sexy together!). Coz I found myself need some getting used to life without a transport... Although both TAS review as well as some members here reported Ethernet streaming sounds superb but based on my past experience transport seems to have an edge on fluidity and weight. Anyone has done a direct A/B with same recording?

Florian is such nice guy, who replied my dozens of email within couple of hours from a different time zone. Even himself is honest enough to say there's no difference between signals via D1 and via Ethernet based on their tests. That makes the purchase of D1 a bit pointless as I don't want to spend that kind of money just for SACD playback and the "convenience" of not having my CDs ripped.

Anyone?

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Thanks to CK, pulled the trigger on the C1 with Ethernet card...now scratching my head on the idea of getting the D1 as well(they look so sexy together!). Coz I found myself need some getting used to life without a transport... Although both TAS review as well as some members here reported Ethernet streaming sounds superb but based on my past experience transport seems to have an edge on fluidity and weight. Anyone has done a direct A/B with same recording?

Florian is such nice guy, who replied my dozens of email within couple of hours from a different time zone. Even himself is honest enough to say there's no difference between signals via D1 and via Ethernet based on their tests. That makes the purchase of D1 a bit pointless as I don't want to spend that kind of money just for SACD playback and the "convenience" of not having my CDs ripped.

Anyone?

I have done long term testing on C1 with D1 and C1 with the Ethernet card. Both combinations are great but I prefer the ethernet streaming option which I opted for. I'm not good in using reviewers' languages a to describe the positive and negative traits of the playback but I certainly can tell the difference between good and bad sound.
When you take the ethernet option, make sure you use a good ethernet cable. Also, try to use no more than 5-bay NASes as they will slow down the start-up process. I just wish we have dedicated audio NASes with high speed processors.
Hope this helps a little.

nickif

May 17, 2013
I have done long term testing on C1 with D1 and C1 with the Ethernet card. Both combinations are great but I prefer the ethernet streaming option which I opted for. I'm not good in using reviewers' languages a to describe the positive and negative traits of the playback but I certainly can tell the difference between good and bad sound.
When you take the ethernet option, make sure you use a good ethernet cable. Also, try to use no more than 5-bay NASes as they will slow down the start-up process. I just wish we have dedicated audio NASes with high speed processors.
Hope this helps a little.

Hi Thf99, thanks for sharing your experience. One question, is it you opted for ethernet card purely because it sounds superior to the D1 or the cost of D1 also plays a part? I'm using Acoustic Revive Lan cables and isolator,agree with you Lan cables do make a difference(to my surprise). Ordered a PSU for the NAS as well...just started with NAS but it seems lots of tweaks are required in order to get the most out of it, please share your experience here if possible.

And the how about the quality of CD ripped file? Can it be 100% the same with the data on CDs?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Nick maybe you should check out the GISO GB Isolator :

========================

thank you very much for your mail and your interest in our GISO. Nice to hear your good results. I think we are talking about the GB version? The price for that is 293,- EUR plus 15,- EUR shipping, thus all in all 308,- EUR. If you want to order, I only need your address. Then I will send you an invoice and payment is possible via Paypal. We would then ship the unit as DHL Worlwide Premium parcel incl. tracking and insurance.

Very best wishes

Ralf
================================

Back to My pal. He was nice enough to loan it (GISO GB) to me for a month or so. I love it and want one (works great from switch to NAS). Ralf has no US distributor (as of last PM to me..he can’t seem to connect to this email address to send me responses).
=====================================================

Contact info:

ACOUSENCE recordings & records
Ralf Koschnicke
Eleonorenstraße 5
55597 Wöllstein
GERMANY
Tel. 06703/305230
FAX 06703/305231
http://www.acousence.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=253&Itemid=90&lang=en

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Hi Thf99, thanks for sharing your experience. One question, is it you opted for ethernet card purely because it sounds superior to the D1 or the cost of D1 also plays a part? I'm using Acoustic Revive Lan cables and isolator,agree with you Lan cables do make a difference(to my surprise). Ordered a PSU for the NAS as well...just started with NAS but it seems lots of tweaks are required in order to get the most out of it, please share your experience here if possible.

And the how about the quality of CD ripped file? Can it be 100% the same with the data on CDs?

My decision to go with the ethernet streaming option was based purely on SQ and not on cost. On top of that, streaming music files is so much more fun.
The quality of ripped CDs is as good as the original. The main problem here is finding a good CD ripping drive.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I use the C1 with D1 and have tried the streamer but I agree that it's a process and will take time with NAS technology evolving so fast. Yet, I still prefer using the C1 and D1 together with the proprietary CH link and BNC connection. I feel there's a little more body and presence with the D1 and I do have more than 2000 cd's so it just makes more sense for me. Either streamer or D1 is a win win scenario and I really love the CH sound. Either way, you have to invest in the X1 - it makes a huge difference for dynamics, low noise floor and ease.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
as a new owner of a C1, I'm thrilled with the SQ I am now experiencing via coax from my nagra cdp to C1 coaxial as well from laptop to usb board. I have posted impressions on another forum that many here follow so don't mean to repeat but as there are a few WBF members using the C1 (CK and thf99 and redsquare) I wanted to post here as well with a question re: ethernet. I am going to tackle the ethernet streaming setup next and have received some recommendations for Synology as a preferred NAS option. Wondering what other C1 owners are using and considering that CH are rumoured to be developing their own control app, looking for advice on choosing an appropriate NAS. Probably will need to rip a collection of approx 600 Cds so not huge current requirements in terms of space but obviously want extra capacity as the collection and hires downloads expand. As a vinyl guy, I am a mac user and NAS newbie so welcome suggestions on NAS options.

image.jpg

nickif

May 17, 2013
as a new owner of a C1, I'm thrilled with the SQ I am now experiencing via coax from my nagra cdp to C1 coaxial as well from laptop to usb board. I have posted impressions on another forum that many here follow so don't mean to repeat but as there are a few WBF members using the C1 (CK and thf99 and redsquare) I wanted to post here as well with a question re: ethernet. I am going to tackle the ethernet streaming setup next and have received some recommendations for Synology as a preferred NAS option. Wondering what other C1 owners are using and considering that CH are rumoured to be developing their own control app, looking for advice on choosing an appropriate NAS. Probably will need to rip a collection of approx 600 Cds so not huge current requirements in terms of space but obviously want extra capacity as the collection and hires downloads expand. As a vinyl guy, I am a mac user and NAS newbie so welcome suggestions on NAS options.

View attachment 14849

Welcome onboard tunes! I'm using Synology 213j, but was recently told the faster the CPU the better SQ, hence maybe you want to go for the higher model like 214+ or 713+. Other than Synology, Qnap and Bufallo are also compatible with CH.

Some tweaks I found useful:

- Use high quality Lan cable, I don't understand the logic behind but they do make an audible difference
- Using a Lan isolator between the NAS and Router, which improves the SQ as well
- Use LPS for the NAS and Router
- Use independent network for streaming if possible

CH is not rumoured but actually will be releasing their own app which is able to control the whole CH system i.e.,D1, C1 and A1, android version only at the beginning though. The app has nothing to do with whatever NAS you are using hence you could safely leave that out of the scope.

hope this helps and enjoy your C1!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

View attachment 14849

Hi Tunes,

WoW! A Trinity underneath your Nagra+C1 combo!

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Welcome onboard tunes! I'm using Synology 213j, but was recently told the faster the CPU the better SQ, hence maybe you want to go for the higher model like 214+ or 713+. Other than Synology, Qnap and Bufallo are also compatible with CH.

Some tweaks I found useful:

- Use high quality Lan cable, I don't understand the logic behind but they do make an audible difference
- Using a Lan isolator between the NAS and Router, which improves the SQ as well
- Use LPS for the NAS and Router
- Use independent network for streaming if possible

CH is not rumoured but actually will be releasing their own app which is able to control the whole CH system i.e.,D1, C1 and A1, android version only at the beginning though. The app has nothing to do with whatever NAS you are using hence you could safely leave that out of the scope.

hope this helps and enjoy your C1!

Thanks nickif. much appreciated. high quality lan cable is something i have not thought about at all. will look into this further.
thanks for the synology model info.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Tunes,

If I find the time next week, I can ask for a specific recc...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, not sure if you're into vinyl, but the trinity phono is wicked. quiet and dynamic. best ss phono i have tried.

Hi Tunes,

The LANS tweaking accessories which Nikif mentioned are from Acoustic Revive :
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_terminator.html
http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_cable.html

BTW May we know the reason why the CH C1 is chosen rather than the mighty Trinity DAC?

CK

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
CK,
Thanks for the info.
I did not listen to the trinity DAC as it was not an option for my budget and the CH gear is similarly spectacular in build and sound quality from all reports.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Picked out a synology 713+
Any suggestions as to hard drives to use with it? Western digital red, seagate,? Hdd, ssd?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing