CH Precision L10/M10 mono vs Kondo G1000i/Kagura

TLi

May 27, 2016
First I would like to thank CH Precision Hong Kong to lend a set of L10 and M10 mono for comparison. The set consists of 6 boxes and total weight near 300 kg. It is not a easy task to move the set to my music room.

Ch Precision L10 and M10 are generally regarded as one of the best solid state amplifier system available. This time, they come face to face with Audio Note Kondo G1000i and Kagura 2i which are also widely considered as one of the best tube amplifier in the market.

First the Kondo set was used to play a few songs and then we swapped to CH Precision. We also tried to mix and match Kondo with CH but the result was not good. The best sound was obtained with preamp and power amp of the same brand. There were a few experienced audiophiles in the audition. Some of them preferred CH Precision for its control and background quietness. I liked warmness of tube sound from Kondo. Music was simply more attractive with Kondo.

There are two sides of a coin. It is difficult to say which system is better. It depends of personal preference. CH Precision has more details, wider soundstage and darker background. Kondo is more musical and more present to listen. I think it is basically the difference between solid state and tube amplification IMG_3671.JPG IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3672.JPG .

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fun comparison! Are they Magico M6's? What tubes are in the Kaguras?....thx

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
First I would like to thank CH Precision Hong Kong to lend a set of L10 and M10 mono for comparison. The set consists of 6 boxes and total weight near 300 kg. It is not a easy task to move the set to my music room.

Ch Precision L10 and M10 are generally regarded as one of the best solid state amplifier system available. This time, they come face to face with Audio Note Kondo G1000i and Kagura 2i which are also widely considered as one of the best tube amplifier in the market.

First the Kondo set was used to play a few songs and then we swapped to CH Precision. We also tried to mix and match Kondo with CH but the result was not good. The best sound was obtained with preamp and power amp of the same brand. There were a few experienced audiophiles in the audition. Some of them preferred CH Precision for its control and background quietness. I liked warmness of tube sound from Kondo. Music was simply more attractive with Kondo.

There are two sides of a coin. It is difficult to say which system is better. It depends of personal preference. CH Precision has more details, wider soundstage and darker background. Kondo is more musical and more present to listen. I think it is basically the difference between solid state and tube amplification View attachment 121260 View attachment 121261 View attachment 121262 .
What speakers were you using 'TLi' ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In early 2015 i did same your trial with same your conclusion

I had speaker Electrovoice Sentry 3 with Supertweeter from Yamamura,a TAD 703 modified,and some months later arrived Montagna speaker

Attachments

• L1050155.JPG
    L1050155.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 59

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Kondo M7 KSL,phono GE1 and 2 Souga
CH L1,C1 and 2 A1, P1,M1 and X1 was not in production yet

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I had a chance to listen to Thomas's system recently where Thomas has been a most gracious host. The system running the af0 and the p10 with st tonearm was quite the revelation. This is a highly nuanced system where the kagaras running the rca 211 showed up tonality soundstage and dynamics in spades, I understand he has only moved into this room which is used only for listening pleasure only a yr ago - so despite just being set up a month ago and have it sounding very mature - that was very very impressive indeed!

It is a superlative system - no least seeing the huge AF0 in person - that is an experience in itself . I understand even in HK only Thomas has the AF0 set up where there are other pieces around but still left in the crates - a peculiarity as most keep it as an investment to be sold later rater than to be opened up to play with. I doubt i have heard a better system yet and look forward to Thomas's report when he gets the M7 later in the year.

Only in HK can you in a few days listen to statement pieces in audio which is what Thomas has here . I have left the room that night very very impressed not just in the music but also the passion and depth of knowledge from my gracious host. The passion of the HK audiophile is unrivalled!

Thank you very much Thomas for a magical evening:)

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I had a chance to listen to Thomas's system recently where Thomas has been a most gracious host. The system running the af0 and the p10 with st tonearm was quite the revelation. This is a highly nuanced system where the kagaras running the rca 845 showed up tonality soundstage and dynamics in spades, I understand he has only moved into this room which is used only for listening pleasure only a yr ago - so despite just being set up a month ago and have it sounding very mature - that was very very impressive indeed!

It is a superlative system - no least seeing the huge AF0 in person - that is an experience in itself . I understand even in HK only Thomas has the AF0 set up where there are other pieces around but still left in the crates - a peculiarity as most keep it as an investment to be sold later rater than to be opened up to play with. I doubt i have heard a better system yet and look forward to Thomas's report when he gets the M7 later in the year.

Only in HK can you in a few days listen to statement pieces in audio which is what Thomas has here . I have left the room that night very very impressed not just in the music but also the passion and depth of knowledge from my gracious host. The passion of the HK audiophile is unrivalled!

Thank you very much Thomas for a magical evening:)
Likewise. My first time to listen to the AF0 and boy is it massive! Great to see a top flight Kondo system doing the business end as well. Thanks to TLi for another lovely evening.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@TLi you should audition DarTZeel. When I moved from the Kondo M77 and Souga to the 18NS and 108, I lost none of the musicality I enjoyed with the Kondo, and gained the detail, increased dynamic range, low end and speed that makes great solid state so appealing. DarTZeel has been reviewed as being “tube like” in nature.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
This is exactly why I switched to Aries Cerat New Amps. I wanted the best of both worlds with Tubes and SS, but without the maintenance costs and constant tube rolling.

The debate between Tube and SS is never-ending. Ultimately, I prefer tubes over SS, but there are certain virtues at which SS always seems to excel. Now I've found something that can challenge both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing