Burmester 069

Espen L

Dec 29, 2012
Hi
I have 069 cd player right in one 911, I wondering if anyone knows have good are the preamp inside 069? Will it be much bether if i bay one 077 preamp?
PS! Sorry for may English
Espen L

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The 069 has an excellent built-in preamp, but in my opinion, adding the 077 between it and the 911 improves it. That is how I would usually run the full Burmester system when I use it for shows. The 077 is one of those rare preamps that. Is better than no preamp.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The 069 has an excellent built-in preamp, but in my opinion, adding the 077 between it and the 911 improves it. That is how I would usually run the full Burmester system when I use it for shows. The 077 is one of those rare preamps that. Is better than no preamp.

I agree with Gary and I'll pipe in... I always prefer a preamp to no preamp. It gives the sound a firmer foundation and opens up the stage both in width and depth.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I'll third that notion by my esteemed posters- every decent dac nowdays has a "volume control/attenuator", that doubles as a premap. have not heard one that that sounded resonably good ,to my ears.
The 077 , as Gary mentioned, is a rare preamp in its ability to disappear from the sound, lower the noise floor to negligable levels, and yet "sound" so amazing.
preamp it should be.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Am in the pre-amp, is the heart of your rig, camp .... the digital vol. control on most CDp's and DAC's are not up to scratch in my experience .

Last edited:

Espen L

Dec 29, 2012
Hi
Peter and garylkoh
Thank you fore the answer, but here comes one more :)
I have read that the 077 and 069 both use the same discreet opamps for the output stage and these opamps drive the 911? Would that be like putting two 069s in series? 069 has the same output stages as the 077 with xamps modules if i read right :)
If i read it right why do you think then it will be better sound?

PS!May loudspeaker are Magico Q3
Sincerely Espen

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi
Peter and garylkoh
Thank you fore the answer, but here comes one more :)
I have read that the 077 and 069 both use the same discreet opamps for the output stage and these opamps drive the 911? Would that be like putting two 069s in series? 069 has the same output stages as the 077 with xamps modules if i read right :)
If i read it right why do you think then it will be better sound?

PS!May loudspeaker are Magico Q3
Sincerely Espen

The best answer I can give you is "I don't know". I know that Burmester uses the same output stage in all their Reference Line Products.... the 069 has a Reference Line preamp built-in as a result. So does their 111 Music Center. However, I find that I prefer the system with the 077 on both the 069 and the 111.

This is specifically with the 911 and the 909 amplifiers driving Genesis loudspeakers. I have not tried this combination with the Magico.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I don't know for sure, but maybe in part because the 077 does not have a transport inside and all that it entails.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Hi Espen,

I own also the 069's (with psu reference line) and in my burmester reference line system using the 808 Mk5 and 077's the sound is much better in all regards. With both preamps the sound is really amazing even if the music is expressed in different way. After a direct and long comparison in my system I prefer the 808 Mk5 over the 077's.

panjan

Apr 29, 2013
Thanks,
but it's just my curiosity. I think that Burmester sounds best only in its own system... But I haven't a lot of experience and I could be wrong.
We'll see.

Aref

Jun 20, 2013
Like Espen, I have the 069 connected directly to the 911 amp, i.e. without separate preamp. I am living with this combination for almost 3 years now and I am still wondering from time to time whether I should add a separate preamp or not and if I do I think that it would/should be a Burmester.
In fact I did never feel that this combination was missing a preamp but have the feeling sometimes that a separate preamp may have smoothen some recordings. Depending on the type of music I listen to, I change the gain setting of the 069.
Without a separate preamp the music reproduction in my system can be described as as a raw, wild, vivid or living reproduction of the sound or the recording with all the positive meanings of these words as opposed to a tamed or civilized sound reproduction. Of course, wild does not mean chaotic or unlistenable.

Espen L

Dec 29, 2012
Like Espen, I have the 069 connected directly to the 911 amp, i.e. without separate preamp. I am living with this combination for almost 3 years now and I am still wondering from time to time whether I should add a separate preamp or not and if I do I think that it would/should be a Burmester.
In fact I did never feel that this combination was missing a preamp but have the feeling sometimes that a separate preamp may have smoothen some recordings. Depending on the type of music I listen to, I change the gain setting of the 069.
Without a separate preamp the music reproduction in my system can be described as as a raw, wild, vivid or living reproduction of the sound or the recording with all the positive meanings of these words as opposed to a tamed or civilized sound reproduction. Of course, wild does not mean chaotic or unlistenable.

Hi Aref
i am going to tried one 077 preamp in August, i have a deal to borrow one from may dealer. I will write and tell you may experience when i tried it. I am moving to a new house this thays so i can`t tried it before August when may system is ready in the new room :)
Espen

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Aref
i am going to tried one 077 preamp in August, i have a deal to borrow one from may dealer. I will write and tell you may experience when i tried it. I am moving to a new house this thays so i can`t tried it before August when may system is ready in the new room :)
Espen

The 077 is a spectacular preamp. I had the 077 with both the stereo 911mk3 and then mono block 911mk3's. I always prefer a preamp in the system. Others will disagree. Adding a preamp for me adds musicality at the expense of some detail. A trade off I will gladly accept. I never got to try a Burmester CD player but have since moved on. You will love the 077 in your system. Good luck!

Espen L

Dec 29, 2012
The 077 is a spectacular preamp. I had the 077 with both the stereo 911mk3 and then mono block 911mk3's. I always prefer a preamp in the system. Others will disagree. Adding a preamp for me adds musicality at the expense of some detail. A trade off I will gladly accept. I never got to try a Burmester CD player but have since moved on. You will love the 077 in your system. Good luck!
Thank you Joe
What system do you have today?
Espen

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Joe
What system do you have today?
Espen

Hi Espen,

I have Dartzeel NHB-18NS, Dartzeel NHB-108, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, D'Agostino Momentum Preamp, Burmester 948, TAD CR-1's, Klipsch Cornwall III's, Bob Carver VTA20S Black Magic, Emm Labs DAC2X, Emm Labs TSDX, ModWright Ultimate Truth Mod Sony XA-5400ES.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
IME, many good/average pre-amps usually act as buffer/coloration which many may like/need, while some simply don't.

The great ones, while staying true to original signal, improves significantly the musicality along with most facets of reproduction. Unfortunately in doing so, many do reduce ever so slightly that sense of directness, resolution, and detail. However, these are trade offs most would be willing to take and happier with.

Now, those truly rare and superb ones should do what the great one does without sacrificing 'anything' at all (easily verified by continuously A-B'ing them in/out). Instead, they should further intensify and build upon those newfound micro/minute details into rendering a much more wholesome, believable, and life-like listening experience.

I'm with most others here, given the right fit, a pre-amp in chain will surely enhance your enjoyment of music.. good luck.

Espen L

Dec 29, 2012
Thanks,
but it's just my curiosity. I think that Burmester sounds best only in its own system... But I haven't a lot of experience and I could be wrong.
We'll see.
Hi panjan
I have before Burmester loudspeakers (B80) i tried Magico Q3 and may ears like it much better with Magico loudspeaker that Burmester did, may electronic are Burmester all the way so it was bether and not any problem to use Burmester together with another brands :)
Espen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing