Big Band Swing

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Art Pepper +11 is one of my favorites.

We used to go to Big Band dances all dressed up in our late teens to big band music in ballrooms and that was about 1980. Lester Lennin. Places like the Waldorf and Plaza in New York City. Park plaza in Boston. Lots of fun for young kids a couple of whom might’ve had a flask in their breast pockets.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Art Pepper +11 is one of my favorites.

We used to go to Bog Band dances all dressed up in our late teens to big band music in ballrooms and that was about 1980. Lester Lennin. Places like the Waldorf and Plaza in New York City. Park plaza in Boston. Lots of fun for young kids a couple of whom might’ve had a flask in their breast pockets.
+1

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Tang
There are so many choices for your consideration that recommendations may take you years to explore. To be honest, this is where streaming is invaluable. If you like what you hear it on a track or section of an album heard on streaming, it de-risks the purchase of an LP. (although streaming is so good with some of today's digital gear that an argument can be made for its exclusivity for listening).

As far as program material, there are too many places to find the "usual suspects" so I'll chime in with something you may not get elsewhere.
Some music schools are famous for turning out gifted classical musicians as either virtuosos or tutti players. But one music school in particular is considered to be the training ground for some of the finest big band jazz musicians anywhere. Its' the University of North Texas. Their finest players are selected for the One O'clock Lab Band (simply because they rehearse at 1 pm). However, that Jazz Big Band program has become so popular that they soon expanded to have a 2 o'clock lab band , a 3 o'clock lab band and even a 4 o'clock(?). Students aspire to make it to the 1 o'clock band sometime before they graduate if they have the talent. They are not going to be found on any list of the most commercially successful big bands in the land but their musicianship is hard to beat. Since it's a rotating cast (after all, students do eventually graduate), the 1 o'clock band generally puts out an album every year as the culmination of their efforts Unfortunately, most of their released work is digital, however you can find a fair number of their LPs on Discogs.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 5.36.03 PM.png

Most of the recommendations you have received are from the "Golden Age" of big band recordings. However, in the modern era, mention has been made of Grammy-winning Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band (based in LA). They are incendiary and very well recorded, but again, most of the material they have is digitally released. They did put out a double vinyl LP of one of their albums but it was made from a digital recording, so I bought and played it out of curiousity. But it is now sitting on my floor and likely will never get played again. (I think LPs made from a digital recording is just a foolish concept but others seem to enjoy them). His compositions and arrangements are funky and electric; he’s not terribly beholden to swing; he’s unashamed about appealing to pop sensibilities as well (the guy scores Disney movies!) But those guys can definitely cook.

Last comment- Big Band Jazz is remarkable for 2 reasons. The first is obviously the musicians who bring the music alive. But perhaps even more importantly, it is the arrangers that often make the song great. It's all about "the charts". Think about it. Ellington and Basie are long dead, but their arrangements have survived for decades with a host of different musicians playing their songs even in their legacy bands. So in exploring the genre, keep in mind that the arrangers should attract your attention as much as the composer or band leader. Aside from Duke and Basie, some of my favorite and most gifted arrangers (in no particular order) are those listed below, but this is hardly a complete list. Enjoy your exploration.
Billy May
Nelson Riddle
Sammy Nestico
Neal Hefti
Gordon Jenkins
Marty Paich

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Orchestra

Woody Herman

Christian McBride Big Band "For Wes, Jimmy and Oliver" recent Mack Avenue release with good sonics

More adventurous:

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band

Maria Schnieder Orchestra

Jihye Lee Orchestra

Phil Kelly & the SW Santa Ana Winds

Ulysses Owens Big Band

Darcy James Argue Secret Society
Slowly working my way through this list, but loving it so far! Thanks for sharing

Reactions: jazdoc

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
If you're going to be at the Pacific Audio Fest at the end of this month, we've sponsored a live Big Band performance by a local group - The Kings of Swing led by Paul Sawtelle. This 17-piece band has been around since 1944, and have been keeping Seattleites toes tapping since. Hear what a live, mostly unamplified band can sound like, and then give a listen to an album at home to compare!

Kings of Swing 1e.jpg

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Here are a couple of modern big band recordings that were done really well IMO, but I know Rich so am biased:

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
I don’t know this genre (Big Band, which I believe evolved somewhat over its lifespan) very well, but I do remember quite well growing up listening to my Mom’s favorite recording of the raw and contagious emotion of Benny Goodman’s “Sing, Sing, Sing” live in Carnegie Hall. It is a very famous, long version of the song with great drums and a pulsing (double time?) conclusion. The polite crowd goes crazy with applause.

If you are not familiar with this recording, seek it out. The recording may be sub-par (it feels scratchy and old), but the music is fantastic. I think it is from c. 1938.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I don't believe Gil Evans has been mentioned. Perhaps too obvious... I put a lot of Mingus in the big band category (or medium-size band plays big anyway). Benny Carter, Jazz Giant.

Despite the corny title, this is a top 50 album for me, Carla Bley's Big Band Theory. Her arrangement of Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat is astonishing.

B5Erik

Dec 18, 2022
The absolute hottest, the tightest, most powerful Big Band ever was Buddy Rich's band from 1966-1986. WOW. I was lucky enough to see them (at least) 3 times, and they were phenomenal. Not pure swing, but Jazz all the same. So much stuff going on, so much power, and yet a ton of sophistication, too. And, occasionally, some funky grooves!

This is one of my all time favorite Jazz songs (a great Don Menza composition and chart), and it comes from my favorite album...

As for albums to check out, here's a list I'd recommend...

Buddy Rich - The Roar Of '74
Buddy Rich - Big Swing Face
Buddy Rich - Plays and Plays and Plays
Buddy Rich - Richcraft
Harry James - Wild About Harry
Woody Herman - Giant Steps
Woody Herman - Thundering Herd
Woody Herman - 1963 ("The Swingin'est Band Ever")
Count Basie - Atomic Basie
Louis Bellson - The Louis Bellson Explosion (he preferred the spelling Louie, but his record companies occasionally went with Louis)
Louie Bellson - 150 MPH
Stan Kenton - Back To Balboa
Stan Kenton - Kenton Showcase
Bill Holman Band - Bill Holman Band (aka World Class Music)

That's a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Re-tread

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing