Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please excuse my bad English]

It very much depends of your musical tastes (I listen to 80% classical and I love Mahler too, as you do), distance from the speakers, room acoustics (rather more reverberation than absorption, or the opposite?), etc. As you know, of course.

I attend to classical concerts regularly. Sitting on the best seats has fine-tuned my ear-brain over the years.

What I dislike with many high-efficiency speakers (HES) is that what they achieve best is SHOUTING (but I admit that, of course, their 'live experience', dynamics, etc - is very impressive too, TBH).

BUT at least two amazing HES gobsmacked me those last years, AND pleased me immensely with their lifelike timbres:
1. Aries Cerat's Symphonia - horn, 101 dB - totally jaw-dropping, on every aspects (roughly €90k).
2. Stenheim: bass-reflex, lower efficiency though (96dB? 93dB?).
The only model I heard though is the magnificent "little" Alumine Two (2 ways, flat, does not highlights the treble, nor the bass, impressive expressiveness in the midrange). But to replace (?) your Wilson Alexia 2, only the 3 ways Stenheim Alumine Three can apply here (not heard them).

Not sure though that either of those speakers will reach bass deep enough to match your requirements.
But on timbres, even the little 2 way Stenheim is, imho, more interesting, lifelike, tuneful and, well "right"-sounding than even the mid-treble seperate "head" of high-end speakers produced by big names in the speaker industry ;-)

As for the Symphonia of Aries Cerat, they are nothing short of stellar.

To listen to those brands will probably require quite a long trip for you to have an opinion, given the distances in the US. But I think that trip will be worth it, definitely. At least, I can say you will not loose your time.

Keep us posted ;-)

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If we leave off the 'new' criteria and the 'excellent manufacturer support' criteria, I suppose the Vitavox CN-191 corner horns make the list. :)

My room: 16'W x 20'L x 8'H ft / ~312 sq ft, 29 sq m

Lamm ML2.2: 18 Watts into 16, 8, and 4 Ohms > 0.85 Volts RMS ± 2%

What about the JBL M9500 or others in the K2 related projects?

:)

Other options ?
The Classic Audio Loudspeakers should probably still be on your list. One thing to be aware of is how your amp is designed. From the specs you show here, the amp isn't meant to act as a voltage source. This rules out the larger JBLs like the Everest and the like since they are designed around the voltage rules. If you put an amp like the Lamm on them they will be light in the bass.

I think you've read this; if you have a refresher might be in order:

An alternative you might consider is due to the simple fact of your room. In any room with regular dimensions you can get standing waves in the bass region quite easily. Add to that the fact that at 80Hz the waveform is a good 14 feet long and that the ear will not acknowledge the sound until the entire waveform has passed by it.

a few milliseconds later the bass note has met the wall behind you and bounced off of it and is setting up a standing wave, cancelling succeeding iterations of the bass note. So there are two implications: all the bass is reverberant, which means its omni directional and secondly, you'll likely have standing waves at the listening chair.

You can try to break up standing waves with room treatment and DSP room correction, but if you are dealing with bass cancellation you can have 1000 watts to play with and the bass will still be deficient. The way to fix this is with a Distributed Bass Array where you have four subs asymmetrically placed in the room so as to break up the standing waves. This will cause the bass to be evenly distributed throughout the room. This is about 95% effective; room treatment and room correction being the other 5% in tandem, IOW it workes really well and is surprisingly easy to set up.

The best known version of a DBA is the Swarm made by Audiokinesis. I have a pair of these subs since my front speakers are flat to 20Hz (and by that I mean they are not even 1dB down at 20Hz), made by Classic Audio Loudspeakers. Despite their ability to plumb the bass I have a standing wave in my room and don't experience the bass unless the subs are on. One is to my left and the other behind me and slightly to the right.

The Swarm subs are built to operate inside the room boundary effect and so roll off at 3dB/octave starting at 100Hz. But you place them right against the wall and they go flat to 20Hz. This keeps them out of the way and the size down. I have mine with the drivers actually facing the wall so the waveform is for sure in the boundary effect zone.

The implication here is that if you have a DBA the main speakers no longer need to go anywhere near the bottom octave. This allows you a much wider range of speakers that would do the job. The Classic Audio Loudspeakers are still one of my top 5 favorites because they do everything so well (98dB with 1 watt, 15 ohms, flat to 20Hz and the first breakup in the midrange driver is at 35KHz; field coil drivers so very fast, smooth and detailed). The horns allow for controlled directivity so I have them toed in quite a lot to prevent early side wall reflections. They image like crazy despite being pushed against the wall behind them. But if I had it to do over? I'd probably get a set of Swarms and then figure out something with the same sort of speed and resolution that was not so large. My speakers dominate the room- no other way to describe it. But they do sound great and I simply can't clip my amps at any volume level.

I've had them since 1997 and they've been updated with dual woofers and a new crossover and field coil operation about 12 years ago. I go to a lot of shows but really haven't seen anything that knocks them off the perch.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If we leave off the 'new' criteria and the 'excellent manufacturer support' criteria, I suppose the Vitavox CN-191 corner horns make the list. :)

My room: 16'W x 20'L x 8'H ft / ~312 sq ft, 29 sq m

Lamm ML2.2: 18 Watts into 16, 8, and 4 Ohms > 0.85 Volts RMS ± 2%

What about the JBL M9500 or others in the K2 related projects?
View attachment 79739
image courtesy @ddk :)

Other options ?

Nice old thread. Tim, you are welcome to visit me anytime to hear first version ML2s and the Vitavox corner horns. Please bring some of your excellent records.

I heard those JBL‘s with the ML2s at David’s house. They are excellent. It’s a different sound, more modern meaning slightly more extension.

I’m sure David could hook you up with a pair of speakers.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, you are welcome to visit me anytime to hear first version ML2s and the Vitavox corner horns. Please bring some of your excellent records.

Thank you, Peter - much appreciated. I enjoy driving the coasts of New England, lakes and ocean. I would love to hear your system.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
If I owned Lamm ML2 or ML.2.2 amplifiers what's a satisfying full range speaker under $50k and under $100k. (please, no subwoofers). Speaker should be available new with excellent manufacturer support. TIA
With Zingali back in the USA I would also have to audition their latest top of the line offerings:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
With Zingali back in the USA I would also have to audition their latest top of the line offerings:

Zingali should work...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for your suggestions!
Zingalis have beautiful wooden horns...you can ask Julian about his (Aries Cerat Espana)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Zingalis have beautiful wooden horns...you can ask Julian about his (Aries Cerat Espana)

Never heard of them until now. The Client EVO 3.18 struggles with my aesthetic. No doubt they deserve coverage from someone other than Serinus who seems weirder everytime I read him. The woodwork looks very nice. How well would something like that hold up over time? I've had some sketchy experience with curvy wood components.

Zingali Client EVO 3.18.jpg

The Symphonia certainly looks interesting, though likely ot of my price range.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Never heard of them until now. The Client EVO 3.18 struggles with my aesthetic. No doubt they deserve coverage from someone other than Serinus who seems weirder everytime I read him. The woodwork looks very nice. How well would something like that hold up over time? I've had some sketchy experience with curvy wood components.

View attachment 81609

I wonder what they sound like?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think they are poor. Colored mids and wooly midbass

Reactions: KeithR

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

View attachment 81609

The model below this one is more conventional looking...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Very well indeed...

I had Client EVO 1.5 Reference in Wenge finish for a while ( not my image ) whilst looking after them for a friend, lovely speakers.

View attachment 81610
Seems you and Ked don't agree...who would've thought... I haven't heard these but from the components and design they seem promising...if you don't want horns but with a more conventional bass alignment...

• Haha
Reactions: tima and Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Seems you and Ked don't agree...who would've thought... I haven't heard these but from the components and design they seem promising...if you don't want horns but with a more conventional bass alignment...

Something of a compromise over full range horn loading for sure however a fine sounding compromise for conventional domicile rooms

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing