Bass Tightening

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Wayne,
Thanks so much for the observation and notes about my room much appreciated!!! Also that was a great read about the YDP I will look around for one based on what I just read. So to sum things up you feel that other than the things you pointed out my room is not too bad?

Jay

Hey Jay,

I must say that from what I see with your measurements, your original inquest about wanting to tighten up your bass is perplexing. I don’t really see anything in your measurements that would account for the problem. The speakers don’t have much extension to begin with, and your waterfalls don’t show any excessive ringing (i.e. long low freq decay times), except for at 40 Hz, and response is down nearly 15 dB at that point.

That said, judging by the full-range response graph, a good parametric EQ would certainly be useful. Eliminating the wide depression between 600-4 kHz and toning down the peak at ~180 Hz would make a dramatic improvement. I recommend the vintage Yamaha YDP2006. This post contains excerpts from a review I never got around to finishing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Jay, I would suggest that indeed you do need eq. And that the Soundcraftsman is not up to the task. The Behringer that was offered to you would be of use as well as the Yamaha that Wayne recommends. Though you may have some time finding the Yamaha, you could try the Behringer in the meantime, while looking for the Yamaha.

I dont see why Wayne is perplexed about your freq response, it appears to me that you have an upper bass boom and an exciting high freq range. Is this how it sounds? Lots of upper bass with a bright top end?

Wendell

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Hi Wendell,
No it does not sound like that, it sounds great to me other than some of the low bass sounds a little fat ot flabby. Just not tight or sharp.
Hi Jay, I would suggest that indeed you do need eq. And that the Soundcraftsman is not up to the task. The Behringer that was offered to you would be of use as well as the Yamaha that Wayne recommends. Though you may have some time finding the Yamaha, you could try the Behringer in the meantime, while looking for the Yamaha.

I dont see why Wayne is perplexed about your freq response, it appears to me that you have an upper bass boom and an exciting high freq range. Is this how it sounds? Lots of upper bass with a bright top end?

Wendell

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Thanks Ethan.
Here ya go Wendell:Well I tried and the file is too big for the site. I can not make it small enough the forum's limit is 976.6kb I can only get it down to 1.78mb...

Last edited:

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Jay, I am back after a hectic weekend of having almost a hundred friends at my house for a party celebrating Italian motorcycles.

I down loaded your m.dats and they generally look reliable. Are you confident for now that they are representative of what you hear as far as freq response goes?

Are you happy with the bass level (besides the overhang) that you are hearing?

The m.dats that you posted say one is flat and one is with eq, in the graph with eq we see a 2db increase in level is this just insertion gain?

Wendell

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hi Jay, Ok so the two m.dats are;

The first being "flat", without the equalizer connected in the system at all.

And the second is with the equalizer in the system, but with all controls set to flat. So you see the equalizer adds 2 db to the overall gain of your system.

Is this correct?

Wendell

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Wendell,
For the most part what I did was to increase the frequency's that where real low by a small amount, and decrease the high peaks by a small amount. This is really a learning expirence for me right now, I am using a vintage graphic eq which is limited. I have a digital parametric eq in the mail should be here next week.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Well I got the Yamaha up and runing this thing is nice nice nice!!! there is a bit of a learning curve though. I have never had a parametric eq before it's quite nice and I am enjoying learning what it can do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing