Axpona 2024 who is going and why?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
FYI this will be the largest Axpona Show ever.They have more rooms than ever before however it is hard to get a room particularly if you need something other than a sleeping room. Axpona gets more people than all the other US shows by far and small guys like me do not have the time nor the resources to do a show ever 4-6 weeks. Personally I don't believe one needs to do ever single show , its just nuts,
We did Pacific - no one was there, I thought about Texas but it too is a first year event and they had very limited larger rooms, Florida show has only a few large rooms so many companies have to pick the shows they can actually get what they require and that fit the schedule. Fo me going to MOC is a high priority as that is the show that manyy companies introduce their new gear and that follows Axpona by a month.

Logistics, resources, and costs along with timing governs what most companioes can do
Completely understand this, Elliot. While I love CAF and am a fan of Lou Hinkley, frankly I think it was a bad choice to slot this Southwest Audio Fest right in between Florida and Chicago. I actually think there are maybe now too many shows - or maybe too many too close together. I can see how tough (and expensive!) it must be for manufacturers, distributors, and dealers to figure out what to support over a given year. IMO the Florida guys will have to go to a bigger venue - I hope they do. They've maxed at the current location. AXPONA is AXPONA - the U.S. show for the last several years. It would be great if the whole industry and the big show organizers could sit down and coordinate yearly show timing better, so that the current "anchor" and the growing shows are spaced out a bit better.

Reactions: Elliot G.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Completely understand this, Elliot. While I love CAF and am a fan of Lou Hinkley, frankly I think it was a bad choice to slot this Southwest Audio Fest right in between Florida and Chicago. I actually think there are maybe now too many shows - or maybe too many too close together. I can see how tough (and expensive!) it must be for manufacturers, distributors, and dealers to figure out what to support over a given year. IMO the Florida guys will have to go to a bigger venue - I hope they do. They've maxed at the current location. AXPONA is AXPONA - the U.S. show for the last several years. It would be great if the whole industry and the big show organizers could sit down and coordinate yearly show timing better, so that the current "anchor" and the growing shows are spaced out a bit better.
I totally agree. The cost of doing these has become really high and the logistics and cost of the shipping etc. would blow most peoples minds.
I personally question the results of doing all these shows as an investment you want to monitize the event . The shows make money, the hotels make money, the shipping companies make money the exhibitors make nothing and nothing over a dozen shows is not sustainable. I uinderstand that the shows are marketing but a show every month just is very hard to rationalize and see any real results.

Reactions: tony22

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
I believe the 2025 Florida Audio Expo is moving to a larger facility;

New Digs, New Dates for Florida International Audio Expo 2025

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks. I didn't realize we had announced it yet. I actually already knew we would (Suncoast member :)) but was keeping mum until Bart made it official. ;)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Thanks. I didn't realize we had announced it yet. I actually already knew we would (Suncoast member :)) but was keeping mum until Bart made it official. ;)
there are now about a dozen shows. Someone is making money but I doubt its the exhibitors

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I totally agree. The cost of doing these has become really high and the logistics and cost of the shipping etc. would blow most peoples minds.
I personally question the results of doing all these shows as an investment you want to monitize the event . The shows make money, the hotels make money, the shipping companies make money the exhibitors make nothing and nothing over a dozen shows is not sustainable. I uinderstand that the shows are marketing but a show every month just is very hard to rationalize and see any real results.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Synergistic Research I know makes hundreds of thousands of dollars via direct sales by Scott Walker in their "static display room". Many manufacturers tell me that the shows do "move boxes".

But the ultimate proof is that if the shows were not effective, no one would pay the high expense. Florida was completely sold out! Axpona is very full according to Mark Freed.

Reactions: thomask

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
"Suncoast" Mike posted this on the Audioshark on March 5.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I'm not sure I agree with this. Synergistic Research I know makes hundreds of thousands of dollars via direct sales by Scott Walker in their "static display room". Many manufacturers tell me that the shows do "move boxes".

But the ultimate proof is that if the shows were not effective, no one would pay the high expense. Florida was completely sold out! Axpona is very full according to Mark Freed.
this is the biggest Axpona ever. No doubt highly attended however many companies dont sell gizmo's , records, or cables. Comp[anies that sell expensive gear like speakers don't sell at shows very often if ever. There is a reason that companies like Wilson , Magico, ARc etc only show with dealers. I did it and do it to bring and build my brand but after a while the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It is good for you press guys that need something to write about for sure.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
this is the biggest Axpona ever. No doubt highly attended however many companies dont sell gizmo's , records, or cables. Comp[anies that sell expensive gear like speakers don't sell at shows very often if ever. There is a reason that companies like Wilson , Magico, ARc etc only show with dealers. I did it and do it to bring and build my brand but after a while the juice isn't worth the squeeze. It is good for you press guys that need something to write about for sure.

The audio press is valuable for keeping the excitement going and getting attention for smaller/newer players. In a way, JV helped launch Magico. Wilson, for instance, has explained to me that they like the real trade shows like Munich but also like to support local dealers where possible at regional shows.

The economics may not work as well for Bending Wave given that a lot of your clientele and brands (Nobel, Wadax) are at the upper reaches of pricing. I certainly don't blame you if the economics are not there and you don't want to participate. There may be better ways for you and other "national reach dealers" like Maier Shadi to reach their true audience.

As a sincere compliment to you Elliot and Javier/Oliver: your systems always sound sublime to my ears. There is a benefit to even the affordable audio crowd to hear what's possible. Indeed, your old boss Mike Kay took that approach to me when I walked into Lyric in 1990 and he first sat me down in front of the IRS Betas. I would love to see Bending Wave and other great distributors and dealers (like Quintessence for example) keep putting people in the seats and hearing what's possible.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
As a sincere compliment to you Elliot and Javier/Oliver: your systems always sound sublime to my ears. There is a benefit to even the affordable audio crowd to hear what's possible. Indeed, your old boss Mike Kay took that approach to me when I walked into Lyric in 1990 and he first sat me down in front of the IRS Betas. I would love to see Bending Wave and other great distributors and dealers (like Quintessence for example) keep putting people in the seats and hearing what's possible.
I can vouch for Elliot's willingness to do just what you suggest above. I had the pleasure of enjoying Elliot's hospitality during a recent visit to Bending Wave in Florida. It's a wonderful thing to be able to look (hear) beyond the horizon from time to time. It was much appreciated.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC

I booked flight and hotel reservation for Axpona 2024 last night.

This is my first time to Axpona.

My prime target will be

1. Aris Cerat which I had not listend myself.

How good is Aurora and theire Dac and elextronice?

2. MBL

I like theiir 101E which sounds very musical but wish to listen to therir larger model.

3. Martin Logan

It had been a while since I listened to Martin Logan, thus want to have update on their electrostatic speakers.

4. Clarisis speakeer

I wnat to find out how good this planar speaker is.

5. Wof von Langa

I wish to get a filed coild speakers most likely original or replica of Western Electric.

But I als want to find out how good it is.

I had also got very good impression of Songer Audio field coil units.

It will be nice if Voxactive also display field coil unts.

.6 Bcach-SP

I have serious interest in this cross talke cancelling unit and Dac.

I wish to find out the effect myself.

There could be unexpected suprise as ohter audio show. ;)

I had lived in Chicago from 1998 to 2001 whete my son was born.

I had enjoyed nice audio shops over there.

I bought my Apogee Duetta Sig driven by Krell KSA 150.

It is one of the most musical audio system through my 45 years of Audiophile.
I have had the Bacch (software) version only streaming from a Mac Mini and I can tell you it’s easily one the biggest upgrades to my system regarding soundstage and the feeling of being immersed in the performance of the artist.. I just ordered the RME unit with the microphones and the new room correction software so we will see what further improvements that makes.

i will point out that the speaker Edgar uses at shows, usually the room and associated gear does not do justice to the actual potential. Was at CAF last year and my system show WAY more of what it is capable of. Garbage in, garbage out - no offense to the associated components he uses at shows.

Also need to point out the Bach system is designed for points source speaker and may not be effective with dipole/panel type speakers.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I have had the Bacch (software) version only streaming from a Mac Mini and I can tell you it’s easily one the biggest upgrades to my system regarding soundstage and the feeling of being immersed in the performance of the artist.. I just ordered the RME unit with the microphones and the new room correction software so we will see what further improvements that makes.

i will point out that the speaker Edgar uses at shows, usually the room and associated gear does not do justice to the actual potential. Was at CAF last year and my system show WAY more of what it is capable of. Garbage in, garbage out - no offense to the associated components he uses at shows.

Also need to point out the Bach system is designed for points source speaker and may not be effective with dipole/panel type speakers.
My speaker is not dipole but line arrays.

Unless I try it in my system, I may never know it works or not.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
My speaker is not dipole but line arrays.

Unless I try it in my system, I may never know it works or not.
They have a money back guarantee if it Doesn’t work for you. Edgar is straight forward but a pleasure to work with. He was part of the recording team on some of David Chesky’s albums and we used some of those recordings to set up my system.

If it is in the recording, you will get 360 degrees of sound - but some older recordings or not all may not work correctly based on their original mic set-up.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I have owned the BACCH for two years now. It was the single most significant upgrade in my 40 years of audio
Agreed, if your system is already at a high level, the jump is significant for what seems little money in comparison to getting a new component or speakers.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can vouch for Elliot's willingness to do just what you suggest above. I had the pleasure of enjoying Elliot's hospitality during a recent visit to Bending Wave in Florida. It's a wonderful thing to be able to look (hear) beyond the horizon from time to time. It was much appreciated.

Yes, however not everyone has the time and/or money to travel. A regional or national show helps facilitate more seat time for more people.

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
Yes, however not everyone has the time and/or money to travel. A regional or national show helps facilitate more seat time for more people.
I was simply responding to your reply to Elliot regarding manufacturers/distributors/dealers being accessible to the consuming public like myself. I personally don’t see that as being limited to trade shows.

I agree regarding time and money but my visit to Bending Wave in south Florida was pure serendipity. I happened to in Florida already so I contacted Elliot regarding the possibility of a visit. He welcomed me without hesitation. It cost me nothing but a little initiative and the desire to reach out. I gained a wealth of knowledge in the process.

It’s a push and pull from my perspective. I will also be attending AXPONA 2024, something I’ve never done.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was simply responding to your reply to Elliot regarding manufacturers/distributors/dealers being accessible to the consuming public like myself. I personally don’t see that as being limited to trade shows.

I agree regarding time and money but my visit to Bending Wave in south Florida was pure serendipity. I happened to in Florida already so I contacted Elliot regarding the possibility of a visit. He welcomed me without hesitation. It cost me nothing but a little initiative and the desire to reach out. I gained a wealth of knowledge in the process.

It’s a push and pull from my perspective. I will also be attending AXPONA 2024, something I’ve never done.

Sounds good. I hope to see you there!

Reactions: mxk116

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
We've often been visited by people passing thru. Some plan it and others don't.

Reactions: No Regrets
Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Elliot G has said about the shows. Rarely do exhibitors ever "make a sale" at a show. The ROI is dubious at best. I do love sharing my products with people who haven't heard them yet, and the press coverage is always good, but if you dont have something "new" then the press isnt so interested in covering it. Really 1-2 shows a year is sort of a useful maximum. The costs are very high, along with the time away from the business to do a show. (dont forget to include the prep, packing, and unpacking when you return). He and I are not alone either in this thinking, there are a lot of rumblings of "show burnout" happening.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing