AXPONA 2023 Video Tour

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Given the few extra seconds allotted to the Planars featured in the video I would say that you still remain a panels kind a guy at heart Ron :p

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The introduction of planar loudspeakers from Clarisis, Diptyque, and JansZen increases by -- what? -- one-third? -- the number of high-end planar loudspeakers in the marketplace.

This was, indeed, a big show for planars!

Reactions: Argonaut

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Ron,

Excellent. Thanks so much for the video. Thanks for highlighting the most important thing - the music.

I‘m not sure what they sounded like in person, but upon your YT video I enjoyed Von Schweikert Ultra 7s, the REIs, the Estelons, Stenheim, and the Aries Cerat rooms the most.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Ron,

Excellent. Thanks so much for the video. Thanks for highlighting the most important thing - the music.

I‘m not sure what they sounded like in person, but upon your YT video I enjoyed Von Schweikert Ultra 7s, the REIs, the Estelons, Stenheim, and the Aries Caret rooms the most.

Thanks again.
Hi Audire. This is my personal opinion only, so take it for what it‘s worth. :) I’ve heard the Ultra 7s more than once in different venues. They sounded good at AXPONA, but IMO not quite at their best. There was a slight softening to its transient attack capabilities that I know is not a characteristic of it normally, nor either of my own Endeavor SEs. Still, they’re Von Schweikerts, so they still sounded fine. :D

I was surprised the Estelons did not sound as awe inspiring as I expected. Maybe my expectations were set too high, but I felt the extreme low end was slightly out of control relative to the rest of the range, and conversely, when pushed hard, there was a slight harshness in the midrange. I’ve read so many reports on how great these are, so this could have all been due to any number of other factors.

I thought the Stenheim Ultimes were among the small handful of best in show systems. Personally I felt they sounded wonderful. I forgot about the system and just heard music.

The Wilson Benesh / Aries Cérat room was also nice. I was only able to hear the larger pair of WBs - the smaller floor standers were apparently set up for only a short time on Friday and I missed them (I really wanted to hear those). I liked this room a lot, although IMO Robert played the music way too loud for the size of those large speakers in that size room. He wasn’t doing the system any favors. I had a couple of chances to lower the volume when he stepped out. Much nicer. Classic WB sound with smooth musical flow and very nice resolution.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Al M. and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Hi Audire. This is my personal opinion only, so take it for what it‘s worth. :) I’ve heard the Ultra 7s more than once in different venues. They sounded good at AXPONA, but IMO not quite at their best. There was a slight softening to its transient attack capabilities that I know is not a characteristic of it normally, nor either of my own Endeavor SEs. Still, they’re Von Schweikerts, so they still sounded fine. :D

I was surprised the Estelons did not sound as awe inspiring as I expected. Maybe my expectations were set too high, but I felt the extreme low end was slightly out of control relative to the rest of the range, and conversely, when pushed hard, there was a slight harshness in the midrange. I’ve read so many reports on how great these are, so this could have all been due to any number of other factors.

I thought the Stenheim Ultimes were among the small handful of best in show systems. Personally I felt they sounded wonderful. I forgot about the system and just heard music.

The Wilson Benesh / Aries Cérat room was also nice. I was only able to hear the larger pair of WBs - the smaller floor standers were apparently set up for only a short time on Friday and I missed them (I really wanted to hear those). I liked this room a lot, although IMO Robert played the music way too loud for the size of those large speakers in that size room. He wasn’t doing the system any favors. I had a couple of chances to lower the volume when he stepped out. Much nicer. Classic WB sound with smooth musical flow and very nice resolution.

Hope this helps.

YT videos aren’t enough to fully evaluate a system for sure. Thanks for the “in person” review notes. These are very helpful.

Reactions: Al M.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
YT videos aren’t enough to fully evaluate a system for sure. Thanks for the “in person” review notes. These are very helpful.
No problem! Just one audiophile’s opinion, under show conditions… all the usual caveats.

Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The introduction of planar loudspeakers from Clarisis, Diptyque, and JansZen increases by -- what? -- one-third? -- the number of high-end planar loudspeakers in the marketplace.

This was, indeed, a big show for planars!
1/3X+X=12? I guess it depends on your definition of planar and high end. I would include open baffle in that set. Trey save money, as usual there are easy to design difficult to master.
I saw so many full range ribbons that never made it to market. I am glad to dee them finally come to fruition.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
First of all, let's recognize Ron for what should be an award-winning series of videos.
Secondly, I can hear why the Clairysis is the subject f so much praise.
Thirdly, despite my negative opinion,I am thoroughly impressed by ithe PS Audio speakers. Taming that slight brightness should not be that difficult.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the kind words on the video tour!

Please kindly be sure to subscribe to the YouTube channel. We had the owner of a major digital audio firm cancel an interview when he saw how few subscribers we have on the YouTube channel.

• Wow
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
(Just went to YouTube and made sure I was subscribed)

Mr. Resnick, that has to be frustrating - and rightfully so IMO. I would have thought with the quality of the previous interviews and interviewees ANY manufacturer would jump at the chance for that kind of exposure!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Ron I just subscribed as well. Do you think it may be a good idea to make subscribing to YT a separate post that way more people will find out about it? I’ve been watching all the videos but I just subscribed because you mentioned it.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ron, Nice videos. I thought AXPONA was several notches better this year than last year. Maybe last year everyone was coming back from Covid and getting back into the swing of things. What stood out to me:

Again this year the big Stenheim/VTL/Nordost room was outstanding. Even much improved over last year. It looked like the seating was positioned closer to the speakers. The sound was highly organized and it just sounded like music.

I visited the KingRex Electric booth. Rex was very freindly and informative. What he has done to modify an electrical panel is pretty mind blowing. I am pretty tempted to upgrade my dedicated panel.

Like most people I was very impressed with the Clarisys rooms. I could not believe the amount of bass those were producing. In the room on the upper floor (6, I think). They played "fanfare for the common man" and nobody moved. When it was over there were lots of "Wow!". In the room on the lower leve (4, I think) I was there for the demo of the Shunyata Altaira ground box. The impact that thing had on the sound was not subtle at all. The most facinating part was the bass. With the Altaira the bass released into the room and was flowing. Without it the bass was demur and stuck at the speakers. Might have to get one of those to try.

The new Avantgarde Duo GT was sounding great. They also had the new Esoteric TT spinning. The room was turned 90 degrees to what they typically have and I think that made a pretty huge difference for the positive in the sound of the room.

I had a private demo with The Chord Company (Cables not the electronics). We swapped out a single pair of interconnects from the DAC to the preamp. Started with the signature then went to the SarumT and then the ChordMusic. The jump from signature to SarumT was huge. Then the jump from SarumT to the Music was again big. The main thing the ChordMusic brings is a quietness and sense of ease to the sound. I also got to demo the new Chord "Professional" ground array. That little box also made a remarkable impact on the sound quality.

I talked to Scott at CAD. He has some new interesting proucts. A new USB cable and a couple USB filter devices. One of them is an inline filter that just filters the 5V signal. I am axious to try one of those. (Although, it distrubs me a little to have another connection point in the USB past.)

I got the hear the new Bacch-SSP DSP device. It takes measurements with a mic in each ear and does its DSP magic to remove interaural crosstalk. I asked to play some orchestral music and he was very happy. It was impressive in the soundstage that it threw in front of me. However, the timing was not right. The orchestra was not playing together as a cohesive whole. I think this is a great product for anyone who has a situation where the speaker position is compromised due to domestic constraints.

I thought the Sonus Faber/Boulder room was good but dry as mentioned. The Magico S3 with Luxman was good and the big borresen room was good (He always plays interesting music).

It is unfortunate that Elliot has such travel woe's. I was looking forward to hearing those subwoofers.

Reactions: Al M.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Thanks for putting this together Ron. Lots of very interesting systems. Was Acoustic Signature a show sponsor? So many of their turntable in use! It was also interesting to see that large box speakers still dominate at the high end in North America. I get the sense that in Europe it’s horns.

If only presenters could wean themselves off the (by now) cliche music they have been using for decades. Fast Car! I think that came out in 1989.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing