Anyone Understand Design Approach of Stenheim? What are they doing differently from Magico, YG, Wilson, etc., to have High Sensitivity?

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Interesting you experience. I have heard them many times, living here in Switzerland, and I would not call any of the experiences Shite; however, they also didn't convince me to buy them either...

i guess sh!te is hard word but i suspect my 10” mg’s would run in circles around them.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Im still a bit flappergasted by this stenheim experience. They sounded so sh!te that im starting to think that they’re specifically designed to rip people off. Not only for the crazy money they cost, but also because youll never be happy with them. Then youll go to the dealer and the dealer will say “thats because you need a bigger more expensive amp/dac/cables/feet/whatever”.

It’s the hifi dealer’s wet dream.

Until you have heard the speakers on another, more powerful amplifier, I don't think you can draw such definitive conclusions from your one-time experience. Potential impedance issues have been pointed out.

Reactions: MadFloyd

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
As i said, ive heard them on ch precision too. Left me (ice) cold too. But it didnt stand out as bad as this experience.

Anyways, may try a trusted solid state amp if i get the chance. Btw if anything, its not the number watts that counts but the output impedance.

Oh and btw btw if you really like them i can sort out a very reasonable price for you.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Oh and btw btw if you really like them i can sort out a very reasonable price for you.

I have never heard the speakers nor am I even remotely interested in them.

My only concern is about bashing components heard under conditions that with great likelihood make them underperform. Happens all the time in the audiophile community, by the way.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Most Europeans who take this hobby seriously and therefore visit the Munich show have heard these, several times, with big power. jespera is generous.

Reactions: jespera

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Most Europeans who take this hobby seriously and therefore visit the Munich show have heard these, several times, with big power. jespera is generous.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The cables arent right. The feet are the wrong ones. Everyone knows thats a sh!te dac. And really you need the ch precision signature biamped monoblocks for those speakers. Blahblahblahahahahahahha

This is what is called bass:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have never heard the speakers nor am I even remotely interested in them.

My only concern is about bashing components heard under conditions that with great likelihood make them underperform. Happens all the time in the audiophile community, by the way.

Well, I have listened to them in a show and shop demos and they sounded quite decent, but I had no experience with the matching components.

A pity audiophiles go on bashing so easily. Why not simply saying it did not match their preferences and give us some details on why?

To get an idea of the people behind Stenheim we can read this interview with their CEO , Jean Pascal Panchard https://www.live.stenheim.com/english/issue7 . The kind of person I would love to have in WBF, but I doubt that he will feel tempted to participate in this forum. BTW, the Stenheim team comes from Goldmund. They are known to voice their speakers with DartZeel and Nagra.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The cables arent right. The feet are the wrong ones. Everyone knows thats a sh!te dac. And really you need the ch precision signature biamped monoblocks for those speakers. Blahblahblahahahahahahha

This is what is called bass:

Stenheim sounds like hifi, there is no life in it. Better buy a nat set amp and a Harbeth. when you press the power button you know right now, it comes music with goosebumps guarantee.;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Stenheim sounds like hifi, there is no life in it. Better buy a nat set amp and a Harbeth. when you press the power button you know right now, it comes music with goosebumps guarantee.;)

While the video of the Stenheim was bad, unfortunately I don't hear much bass from that video either.

How do you judge anything from crappy videos?

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
While the video of the Stenheim was bad, unfortunately I don't hear much bass from that video either.

How do you judge anything from crappy videos?

I agree with that. I liked the lyrics better than the music in that post.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
No i heard them at ATR germany ..sorry not my cup of tea
I was there because of the new Cabasse and also listened to the Stenheim speakers there.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
This is a great video. The only thing missing is a pan shot of the fat bald muppets in the plastic chairs, discussing the cables …

You can smell the vibe …
One of the worst sounds in a show room I ever heard was at Munich. And with a SOTA amp noch. Halcro incidentally.

As someone who travelled round the world to show by show as an exhibitor, and who was complimented waaayyy too much for the room
sound, you are advised never to base your evaluations on show rooms.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
This is a great video. The only thing missing is a pan shot of the fat bald muppets in the plastic chairs, discussing the cables …

You can smell the vibe …
Funniest thing for me at shows was after people kindly complimented me on the (mostly) really good sound ( thank ye kindly Sir) they would always then walk behind to check out the back of the speakers. What the heck did they expect to see there? Some sort of mysterious black box adding some sauce to make that good sound?

I kept telling them it was all about the heart of the system. The amps. They never ever got it!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As someone who travelled round the world to show by show as an exhibitor, and who was complimented waaayyy too much for the room
sound, you are advised never to base your evaluations on show rooms.

True. My mantra is, if it sounds good at a show it must be good; if it sounds bad at a show, then whatever, withhold your judgment. It's a meaningless data point.

Bad sound at a show can have a myriad of reasons. Bad, hasty setup, bad acoustics, bad power (hotel rooms, and everyone hangs on the same line), or any combination of those. Throw in possibly bad gear combinations because of certain contracts or agreements, or just because of a wish to randomly show off the main brands you carry as for example a distributor, and with all the above combined the chances of a bad sound at a show can be quite high.

Reactions: Bobvin

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) For the first friend, we have tried different amp/speaker combinations (he is using Magico speakers currently). Nothing sounded good except for some extremely expensive high powered amplifiers that cost 3 to 4 times what his speakers cost. Tube amps were useless. (...)

I am curious - what were exactly these Magico's that only sounded good with amplifiers that cost 3 to 4 times ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tube amps will never sound as good with Wilsons and Magicos as SS amps, and yes cost of SS amps keeps going up for quality. ( ...)

IMHO Wilson speakers sound great with tubes - I had great sound with many tube amplifiers and various Wilson's, as well as a few friends. In fact they were and are often paired with VTL, Audio Research and conrad johnson, just to refer to well know old brands. The Siegfried II is an exceptional pairing with the XLF.

Reactions: gadawg58

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Tube amps will never sound as good with Wilsons and Magicos as SS amps, and yes cost of SS amps keeps going up for quality. One thing with tube amps is to add a SS preamp like Soulution instead of the valve preamp, then they can work better.

Which 2a3 PP amp did you try? NAF 2a3 is very good, and which valves did you use? Which 300b amp and valves are you using?
Why?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing