Anyone know 'Converted into Sound' online shop?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I came across a post from this company for sale of a pair of Sonus Faber Palladio Strads, a pair i used to own and really liked.

https://www.convertedintosound.com/product-page/sonus-faber-stradivari-palladio

Turns out the pair they are selling was actually my pair and the photo they show is of my old house.....my pair was the last pair and held at Sonus Faber HQ.

So my question is are these guys legit? They list the pair as 4 years old but i bought them from SF in 2010. Hmmmm

astraltraveler

Dec 9, 2019
I can confirm that these guys are in fact SCAMMERS! I have fallen victim to their scam and want to warn others NOT to purchase from them.

Reactions: howiebrou

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, there seems to be more than a few warnings on the internet about these guys.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Strange?--Yet they sell unabated on other Audio sites.

BruceD

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I can confirm that these guys are in fact SCAMMERS! I have fallen victim to their scam and want to warn others NOT to purchase from them.
Hi Astraltraveler. I am dealing with this company so wonder if you could be a little more specific about the scam? The website seems legit and they are eager to answer questions.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hi Astraltraveler. I am dealing with this company so wonder if you could be a little more specific about the scam? The website seems legit and they are eager to answer questions.
Re-read the first post. They are using a photo of my old place selling my speakers. The dates are wrong. I wrote to asking why they are using a photo obtained from the web with wrong info. No reply. I would run a mile.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'm with Howie on this--Rod Morris at Audio Asylum confirmed to me he banned that mob on Nov 11 last year as a suspicious seller.

Don't touch em:mad:!

BruceD

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Re-read the first post. They are using a photo of my old place selling my speakers. The dates are wrong. I wrote to asking why they are using a photo obtained from the web with wrong info. No reply. I would run a mile.
Using your photo may be careless and lazy but it doesn't mean that they are scammers, which is a very serious charge meaning that they steal your money in return to no services on false pretenses. You say you were a victim of a scam so how much did you lose and did you report it to the police?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Using your photo may be careless and lazy but it doesn't mean that they are scammers, which is a very serious charge meaning that they steal your money in return to no services on false pretenses. You say you were a victim of a scam so how much did you lose and did you report it to the police?

A set of points devoid of subtlety or awareness. The unenforceable nature of correcting the misdeed fails to separate it from in fact being one.

The highly visible, and most reported, example is lifting a photo off the internet and placing it on a billboard. Your logic about dialing the local non-emergency line and reporting it to an officer is found quite lacking. At best, he could start the legal process by going out of pocket through a lawyer. With a nearly unattainable amount of proof being built up on his side at great expense if he hoped to really go after them hard. Getting the photo taken down is fairly easy. Discouraging the widespread practice by shady business entities is not.

Best of luck in your ongoing relations with this company and all others willfully partaking in similar business practices. In this case the previous seller was quite easily found and it would appear no contact was made to ascertain their willingness to allow usage of any part of their ad.

Heeding the advice to cut bait and attempt to hook another fish would be the wisest course.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We debated this subject - internet scams - several times in this forum. All the details are easily found if someone cares to google the word "scam" and "prices" in this forum. IMHO asking people to expose their past situations in an open forum is not an way of handling the situation.

One of the reasons I do not post high quality photos, even in advertisements, is that some photos of my equipment have been used in a few scam sites. These sites change their name and internet provider regularly, but curiously have little imagination in their layout and brands!

The eternal rule - if it sounds too good to be true it is a scam.

Reactions: rando

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I never said I was scammed. I said the photo was misused and the age of the product was wrong. I would never do business with a site that misrepresents its gear.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
please go ahead and do business with them and let us know how well it goes.

Reactions: howiebrou

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
The fraudulent Converted Into Sound playbook:

1. HD photos are downloaded from a legitimate advertisement; Photoshop enables a verification photo; phony former clients email that their experiences were positive. Due diligence done, you send a transfer to the seller's bank. The ideal seller and he pays the shipping.

2. Now it gets creative. A few days after the transfer an email arrives that a mistake has been made in the bank information and that your transfer will be refunded within a few days, automatically. Then you will be supplied with the real data and the deal can go on. This tactic introduces confusion and delay, and of course the refund never arrives. The site maintains close communication delaying the lightbulb from going off that you've been scammed. In this way responsibility for the lack of product is shifted from the seller to the bank.

3. By the time this happens the money will be in an account in the Bahamas or some other tax haven, and the scamming goes on wherever the guy's kitchen table is located, probably not in the U.K. as advertised. The victim can contact the local police, have his bank contact the scammer's bank to return the money, but for a master scammer this is probably impossible. The buyer is left with holes in his audio rack and bank account, and a bruised butt from kicking himself.

The moral of the story? Listen to the slightest hint of suspicion, don't be seduced by fancy websites and low prices, and deal only with known websites. Tell your friends about suspicions in forums like this and take action; it's up to us to eliminate scamming (which is common theft) so that our wonderful equipment can find new owners.

Reactions: clab and howiebrou

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Never dealt with this company but I am seeing regular ads from them in local second hand forum at obviously very very tempting prices ( 30-50% cheaper than the best second hand price ). Too good to be true?

clab

Feb 12, 2012
traveling but based in Switzerland
Thank you Cascais !
I was looking for a pair of Avalon Isis on Hifi Shark for an incredible price,
a shop in Czech Republic was announced, I clicked on it and arrived on Converted into Sound ... with a british phone number ?
all the offers are so incredibly cheap Dartzeel for 6000.- Viola Lab 7000.- aso aso that I become suspicious and landed here.

Last edited:

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
You know the old saying: if a thing is too good to be true, it usually is. Roman, who runs this sight, is very good at his crooked craft, the perfect seller. The problem is that he has nothing to sell and could be located anywhere although claiming to be located in the UK. On the internet anything is possible which is why over caution is necessary.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, what is eBay kleinanziegen, btw? Is it genuine?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing