Purchasing Mint Condition Pair of ML 2.0's - Your Thoughts and Expertise Would Be Appreciated

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
your suggestion and comment was my thought exactly

The CJ might sound good but IMHO Lamm amps sound best with Lamm preamp and the LL2.1 Deluxe would be my recommendation as well

Surely - an used L2ref sounds better with Lamm amplfiiers than the cj in my system. But IMHO the cj ACT2 topology (4 parallel 6h30 triode sections) is very compatible with the Lamm's and will give Highlander a lot of pleasure!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hello Highlander

You can't be more than a few hours from Lamm HQ in NYC if you're just an hour and a half away from Montreal "just across the border". Go for it man!

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
microstrip, thanks for the concern about speaker matching, it's appreciated. I'll report back on how the amps pair with both the Audio Physics, and also the Tekton Perfect SET's. The Sonus Faber Olympica III's were indeed lovely speakers, but they require surprising power to truly open up and perform, and would certainly not be applicable in my current situation.

Granted all manufacturers claim their power amps pair best with their own preamps. However, I have read a lot about the special synergy of Lamm amps and preamps and do not doubt it. I would certainly not be against acquiring a Lamm LL2,1, except, unless I have been misinformed, it has no remote. That is unfortunately a deal breaker due to a couple physical issues I am dealing with. Thankfully, my old friend RJ, the Australian Audio Guru, well known to many here in the forum over the years, has already informed me that he had previously paired the ML series amplifiers with a Conrad Johnson ACT2 preamp, and it worked beautifully.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Was up early and drove over to Canada nd picked up the amps from a very kind elderly audiophile. I made it home, unloaded and got the amps unpacked, set up, connected and ready. After a brief delay for dinner, I followed the procedures to check the tube bias. After two small adjustments, all was ready to go. I have to say, I had allocated an hour and a half of listening time, and that just went completely by the wayside. These amps are simply superb. What I was listening to before was already at a very high standard, but it's difficult to find words to describe what the ML2's have added. The notes just hang in the air like stars. The soundstage was outstanding, bass was absolutely dead on, treble was that of the purest bell I could imagine. The overall experience was magical. Fours later, I just stopped here to report on my experience, and thank all of you for cheering me on for this purchase.

I do have a question, though. I've read a number of comments saying that tuberolling in the ML series is pointless. That makes perfect sense, as there is no tube rolling with 6C33C's being a single production tube, and 6NP's having no real alternative either. But I have also noted several people who advocate getting a pair of the best 12AX7's that you can, because they do have a significant impact on the sound. What is the truth? Thanks.

Last edited:

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Hello Highlander

You can't be more than a few hours from Lamm HQ in NYC if you're just an hour and a half away from Montreal "just across the border". Go for it man!

Sorry if I somehow misled, but I was referring to the fact that I am just an hour and a half away from a very different part of Canada. I'm about 45 minutes north of Detroit, and cross over to Canada at Sarnia, Ontario. That said, I could only wish I was I was only an hour and a half away from Montreal. It is, without question, my absolute favorite city in North America. Wonderful architecture and an amazing blend of European and new world cultures. Not to mention an endless variety of great food, great people, and my favorite Irish pub.

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Was up early and drove over to Canada nd picked up the amps from a very kind elderly audiophile. I made it home, unloaded and got the amps unpacked, set up, connected and ready. After a brief delay for dinner, I followed the procedures to check the tube bias. After two small adjustments, all was ready to go. I have to say, I had allocated an hour and a half of listening time, and that just went completely by the wayside. These amps are simply superb. What I was listening to before was already at a very high standard, but it's difficult to find words to describe what the ML2's have added. The notes just hang in the air like stars. The soundstage was outstanding, bass was absolutely dead on, treble was that of the purest bell I could imagine. The overall experience was magical. Fours later, I just stopped here to report on my experience, and thank all of you for cheering me on for this purchase.

I do have a question, though. I've read a number of comments saying that tuberolling in the ML series is pointless. That makes perfect sense, as there is no tube rolling with 6C33C's being a single production tube, and 6NP's having no real alternative either. But I have also noted several people who advocate getting a pair of the best 12AX7's that you can, because they do have a significant impact on the sound. What is the truth? Thanks.

Any comments regarding my 12AX7 question?

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Vladimir uses perfectly matched tubes and He doesn’t condone tune rolling except for the 12AX7 which IMO is worth rolling. If you can find them as they are as rare as hens teeth I would recommend a matched pair of NOS Tekefunken ECC803S which is the Holy Grail of 12AX7 tubes. I started using them with my ML 2.1 and now with my ML3. They provide a big sonic improvement

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Any idea what Vladimir charges for a pair of 6N6p tubes? I will be needing some. I couldnt find anywhere on the Lamm website to order them.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Any comments regarding my 12AX7 question?
Imo, the Tele 12AX7 brings the strengths of SS into tube gears. Instruments become more articulate. Details are more clearly laid out and more precise. More stable like surgeon hand. Cymbal strike is very resolute. The bass is tighter and quick. Better photographic snap shot of the musical scene. However, The music is less reaching to you. The original tube has more drive more involvement. If you dont want to go all the way sound of Tele 12AX7 you can go Mazda instead. My friend @Ovenmitt introduced me to Mazda. The Mazda has 81.45% of the strengths of Tele but more musical more drive more reaching. I tried them in ML3 and EMT phono. Both Tele and Mazda have different levels of 12AX7. I am talking top one. Generally Mazda is less expensive than Tele. If I were to guess ddk probably uses original tubes.

* I was just being a wisearse about 81.45%. But you get my point.

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

I have owned the ML2.1 and now the ML3 so for well over 15 years. In that time I rolled 12AX7 tubes and for my ears the Telefunken ECC 803S (or the Tele ECC 801S for gear with 12AU7 tubes) produces the best overall sonic improvement. Three years ago I was fortunate to replace my aging 2nd set with a literally unused pair of NOS ECC 803S and after over 15 years of using this tube IMO there just isn't one better

Problem is good luck finding them and if and when you do you first have to be certain they aren't cheap Chinese knockoffs (there are plenty around) and then once you verify that they are real you want to be sure they are a matched set (which also is very difficult to find). Then once you are certain that they are real and a matched set the only thing left is to feel the anxiety as you open your wallet and lay out $1000's of dollars for this pair of tubes.

The 12AX7 has a life of around 10,000 hours and it is for this reason that I have my amps off when I am not listening to music.

FWIW I also use Nick Doshi's tape pre which is all tube. There are 6 12AU7's. I managed to find a matched quartet of ECC801S's that I use there

For my ears simply put the Telefunken ECC803S in my ML3 is so good that they are going to bury those tubes with me and I just won't part with them. They are amongst the many keepers in my system

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
This can't be a god thing. I just called (and verified) the contact number for Lamm, as listed on their page. I got two messages saying the number had been disconnected, and then tried one last time, and the message said the number was no longer in service???

If something has happened to Lamm, I know of other sources for the 6C33C's, but none for the 6N6p's. As I recall, Lamm had purchased all of those that were available.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This can't be a god thing. I just called (and verified) the contact number for Lamm, as listed on their page. I got two messages saying the number had been disconnected, and then tried one last time, and the message said the number was no longer in service???

If something has happened to Lamm, I know of other sources for the 6C33C's, but none for the 6N6p's. As I recall, Lamm had purchased all of those that were available.
Nothing happened to them just on and off for the month of August, PM me and I'll arrange for what you need with their staff.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
FYI, Lamm is currently changing phone systems it will be up and running shortly.

david

Highlander

Dec 31, 2016
Thank you Steve and David, much appreciated. I will be in touch asap if I don't hear back, as I really need that pair of tubes.

Steve Williams

Thank you Steve and David, much appreciated. I will be in touch asap if I don't hear back, as I really need that pair of tubes.
PM me your info and I’ll forward it to Elina

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing