Any Esoteric fans here?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Mmm... if the top tier stuff has cheap trannies and crapo IEC power inlets and the changes done with MU materials and Furutech connectors then I'm not sure whether the K1 Grandioso series is worth its pretty penny! Not sure what the cost is in the US but down unda (Aus) these things are top level luxury items, definitely not the hard-working save and buy thing, no chance!

At this level, we're looking at close to 70grand for K1 series. It's really discouraging to learn that this type of mediocre stuff / parts are found in the K1 series digital playback systems.

I'm using the humble K-07xs series and it has a wonderful EI core tranny of top quality. It's not even top tier gear, rather entry level but no issues with trannies as far as I'm aware. I've dared to even open it up, I don't see the point in that, especially under warranty... but I did mange to get a chance to check one out whiles demoing at the dealership. It's high quality parts right throughout and it's the only two type of players that use EI core trannies (K07xs & K03xs). All the others above this level use toroidal trannies.

I was seriously considering the new XD series, either the K03XD or K01XD but if those are using mediocre trannies, no thanks!
Any idea what type of trannies the latest XD series uses? I'll be damned if it's anything less compared to my entry level K07xs! Ha, that would be the play of day.

This is very interesting at the same time off-putting... might have to consider something else. The last thing I would want to do is spend 69grand on a digital player and then have to modify it simply because... nah, not worth it.

All the best, RJ

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Fremer is enjoying their new turntable design, so named the Grandioso T1...utilizing the MagneDrive System, which is supposed to have much of the advantages of an idler drive without any inherent drawbacks. One can only wait and hear.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Fremer is enjoying their new turntable design, so named the Grandioso T1...utilizing the MagneDrive System, which is supposed to have much of the advantages of an idler drive without any inherent drawbacks. One can only wait and hear.

I listened to it at Seoul Audio show yesterday.

It sounds fantastic.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I listened to it at Seoul Audio show yesterday.

It sounds fantastic.
Nice, and that was with Goebel Speakers, right? I was curious how a full Esoteric system would sound into speakers that were so uncolored. Evidently, very very good. (I had heard the Goebel Speakers with CH gear several times and found the combination a bit bleached...to each his own. I should add that I believe either components or speakers can be used in a system to a pleasing end...I just thought their synergy at that time was slightly lacking.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Nice, and that was with Goebel Speakers, right? I was curious how a full Esoteric system would sound into speakers that were so uncolored. Evidently, very very good. (I had heard the Goebel Speakers with CH gear several times and found the combination a bit bleached...to each his own. I should add that I believe either components or speakers can be used in a system to a pleasing end...I just thought their synergy at that time was slightly lacking.

#1l and 12

Goebel driven by Esoteric turntable and amps sounded attractive while big Goebel driven by all Ch Precision sounded rather mediocre.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_112927.jpg

One gentleman made magnetic planar units from the scratch and also got the patent right of it.

His proto type speaker give lot of potential with clean an fast sound.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne

Oh my! Very very nice. Now that's something worthwhile looking into. No units of those over here, I'm thinking it should be well over the price of the fine Spec TT, which is also made in Japan and is string driven. Same company that makes the Spec Aluminum disc mat. Had to give it away for next to nothing due to unresolved static issues but their TT was a fine piece of Art!

The Eso TT looks truly amazing, solid build like the mothership of TT's from the intergalactic!
I would probably require a Uni course to learn how to set that thing up and it still wouldn't be right.
Guess they would also include a set-up crew at the owner's home... that would be nice.

Cheers to whoever has this, hats off! Well done and do enjoy those very fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you practicing flying under the radar comments now?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Mike Lavigne haha you dropped enough hints last few days :)

When you're ready we all will be curious to know if you go with a tonearm you already know ( Tosca or Primary Control ) etc. Fun stuff!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
@Mike Lavigne haha you dropped enough hints last few days :)

When you're ready we all will be curious to know if you go with a tonearm you already know ( Tosca or Primary Control ) etc. Fun stuff!
yes, took myself off my self imposed Esoteric posting embargo a few days back.....once my Saskia was sold.

as far as tonearms, i'm buying the T1 version with the Ikeda TA-9D arm, then adding arm boards for the Tosca/Dava and Primary Control FCL/Etsuro Gold. i'll add my wood arm wand Telos back on the NVS, and the 2nd Tosca will stay on the NVS. so with the CS Port linear tracker that will be 6 tone arms.

i have 2 new cartridges coming, and still have my unmounted 1.0mil Miyajima Infinity mono too.

108CY

May 4, 2013
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Dava, Etsuro Gold(s) and both Miyajima mono 1.0 and 0.7 stylus sizes. Hmm whats next ... ;) excited to see

Reactions: 108CY

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
btw; the arm boards other than what is listed as 'factory' must be built, not just drilled, and are very spendy. and involve a multiple month process. which i am part way thru. and only the front left position can handle longer arms (my 12" FCL). the back left (Tosca) and back right (Ikeda TA-9D) can only handle shorter arms.

stock choices......

Grandioso T1
Analog Turntable with TA-9D Dynamic Balance Tonearm
(as shown above)

Grandioso T1/AL
Analog Turntable without Tonearm

AB-T1SM1
Optional Tonearm Base Kit (for SME and Graham Phantom)
AB-T1KD1
Optional Tonearm Base Kit (for IKEDA)
AB-T1SC1
Optional Tonearm Base Kit (for SAEC)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing