Seoul Audio Show

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

It is going to be held from March 3rd to 5th, 2023 at Kangnam, Seoul.

The above video is from the one last year.

It had been 20 years since I had been to that show at Seoul.

But I plan to visit Seoul during this March to see my granddaughter who was born last month.

I will report what is going on there.

It seems to have much more brands than Pacific Audiofest held last year at Seattle.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

i am flying to Seoul today.

Since it had been 20 years to attend the Seoul Audio show last time, I have high expectation.

I would like to listen to MBL speakers again.

I may be able to attend it on Saturday only, but I will keep you updated if any noticable thing happen. :)

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_123525.jpg

I had been to Seoul Audio Show 2023 on March 4th.

I had lot of fun there.

To make long story short, there are several nice turntables which give much more musical sound than digital source.

The best speaker at the show is MBL 101E Mark 2 which really impressed me with organic details, all around soundstage and natural dynamics.

The last time that I had listened to MBl radial speaker was at CES Las Vegas on 2008.

At that time, it sounded beautiful but not with well balanced bass or dynamics.

But this time I almost got shocked.

Lot of other things to report but I need time for organization. :)

Reactions: hogen and Kenc

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
The most musical sound is from Blumenhofer horn speaker driven by Airtight Pre and power amp using latest Kronos turntable.

20230304_104546-2.jpg

It sounds natural and musical to my ears.

Nice amps and speaker also contribute to it.

But Kronos discovery turntable is the main culprit, ;)

During Pacific audiofest 2022, I like the sound out of Big Genesis driven by Merril Audio amps.

But excellent VPI turntable did play important role.

Shall I get decent turntable instead of upgrading my digital source?

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_110322.jpg

I had not had chance to listen to DCS Apex before Seoul Audio Show.

But Vivaldi Apex full stacks including clock, upsampler, transport was available to drive Wilson Alex V. Amp was Audio Research tube pre and monoblocks.

I did attend full 30 minutes demonstration section seated at sweet spot.

Ella Fitzerald's voice sounds real with full details.

This system did what it is supposed to do, that is, extreme details, sharp focus, holographic back to front layering, clean bass and dynamics.

But somehow I could not enjoy the sounds since it sounds too hot or analytical to me.

The history repeats.

22 years ago I had DCS Elgar and upsampler, CEC Tl0x transport and Jadis 500 while living in Seoul, Korea.

I was enjoying Avalon Ascent II but one of Korean audio dealer did make stong recommendation of Wilson Watt Puppy4 to me with offer of special discount. ;)

I accepted the offer out of curiositiy.

But Watt Puppy 4 sounded too hot and analytical at my home driven by Jadis 500 from DCS Elgar direct without pre.

Thus I let it go only after six months.

Then I got B&W Notilus 801 which worked well in my listeing room for two years.

Some people may enjoy Wilson sound combined with DCS but not me.

It depends on personal taste.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_140022.jpg

I saw two Lampi Horizons at Seoul Audio Show.

YG Audio Summit speaker driven by Viola amps using Horizon and Aurender as source sounds very musical and balanced with pleasant details, bass and dynamics.

While I found the sound out of Wilson Alex 5 with DCS Vivaldi full stacks too hot and analytical to my taste, I found YG Summit with Horizon quite enjoyable.

It may not bump my Scaena 3.2 driven by Line Magnetic 508 with source of Dave(modified with Farad 3 Lps) and Mscaler, Aurender N 30.

But I could live with YG Summit while I can not with Wilson Alex 5.;)

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Thomas, this is great stuff! Keep it coming.
I've heard mention of Wilson W/P 4 a couple of times. As I recall, they did not make a model 4 because of some antipathy to this
number in some Asian cultures. I thought they went from the 3/2 to the 5. Was there a model 4?

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_141520.jpg

They displayed Goevel speakers at two separate rooms.

The more musical sound is from the Marquis driven by Esoteric Amps and turntable.

20230304_141912.jpg

Esoteric turntable is something speciall with magnetic gravitation,separate power supply and option of external clock to control servo motor.

They also played Led Zeppelin with and without external clock.

It sounds much more clear and dynamic with external clock engaged,

Turntable cost 80k$ and external clock cost another 25k$ but they are worth the money.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomas, this is great stuff! Keep it coming.
I've heard mention of Wilson W/P 4 a couple of times. As I recall, they did not make a model 4 because of some antipathy to this
number in some Asian cultures. I thought they went from the 3/2 to the 5. Was there a model 4?
Was t Watt Pupppy 5?

It was 22 years ago, thus not so sure.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

They also played big Goebel speaker driven by all Ch Precision amps and digital setup.

It sounded decent but lacked some kind of magic! ;)

Goebel driven by Ch Precision amps and Wadax digital setup sounded fantastic during Pacific Audiofest 2022.

But Ch Precision digital setup lacks the magic of Wadax setup.

While I enjoy the sound out of smaller Goebel driven by Esoteric amps and exotic turntable, I did not enjoy the sound out of Goebel driven by all Ch Precision.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

They also played big Goebel speaker driven by all Ch Precision amps and digital setup.

It sounded decent but lacked some kind of magic! ;)

Goebel driven by Ch Precision amps and Wadax digital setup sounded fantastic during Pacific Audiofest 2022.

But Ch Precision digital setup lacks the magic of Wadax setup.

While I enjoy the sound out of smaller Goebel driven by Esoteric amps and exotic turntable, I did not enjoy the sound out of Goebel driven by all Ch Precision.
Is the show still going on? Any Best of Show predictions?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_111155.jpg

There are several Korean makers of amplifier and speakers on disply during the show.

This gentleman played 3 way horn system(92 db/w) he made driven by tube amps he also made.

It sounded very nice with excellent details and pretty good dynamics. :)

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Reactions: Johan K and thomask

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
Interesting. Just found out my flight out of Seoul today is delayed by 2 hours. Perhaps I should check this out.

And even better, I was an idiot when I visited Bongeunsa Temple yesterday and missed checking out the big Buddha statue. Since COEX is right across the street, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Was t Watt Pupppy 5?

It was 22 years ago, thus not so sure.
not sure. I had the Watt Puppy 2/1 (used) and Jadis JA 80's made them sound better than most :cool:. Are Korean brands that we know here like Allnic, SoTM, HiFi Rose in showing in Seoul?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing