Another Apogee thread? You bet!

11 days to know the final choice? :)

Trip mostly towards end of June. Just so you know, I love both, but my front runner is one horn, scintilla second, and another horn third. If I had more money (35k), it would have been another customized horn, direct.

Trip mostly towards end of June. Just so you know, I love both, but my front runner is one horn, scintilla second, and another horn third. If I had more money (35k), it would have been another customized horn, direct.

Also that will be the sonic decision. I will leave the purchase decision to when I buy my new room, I could live with either.

Caelin, I went down that research road as a possible alternative to Pendragons if that idea could not be executed. My answer was Full Ranges from True Sound Works in Nevada, using Graz ribbons and the heaviest, most robust frame Rich of TSW can devise.

The amplification solutions for FRs are extremely controversial but I don't care about that -- I know what I would've used. I would have asked Rich to engineer the crossovers so I could use a solid-state amp on the woofer, and then drive each pair of midrange/tweeter ribbons with a single high power, push-pull tube mono amp (i.e. my VTL MB-750s).

I spent a lot of time with Schick and Schroeder, the designers, in the WE room. Schick owns an apogee caliper and said the Kong's FR system in Hong Kong is the best apogee system he has heard. Panels in the middle of the room and when you go to either side, you get the image. Michael, accurate?

Caelin, I went down that research road as a possible alternative to Pendragons if that idea could not be executed. My answer was Full Ranges from True Sound Works in Nevada, using Graz ribbons and the heaviest, most robust frame Rich of TSW can devise.

The amplification solutions for FRs are extremely controversial but I don't care about that -- I know what I would've used. I would have asked Rich to engineer the crossovers so I could use a solid-state amp on the woofer, and then drive each pair of midrange/tweeter ribbons with a single high power, push-pull tube mono amp (i.e. my VTL MB-750s).

Thanks Ron, that's helpful.

Don't think they are controversial, Ron. One needs to try one push pull valve and one low impedance, high current high power SS

I spent a lot of time with Schick and Schroeder, the designers, in the WE room. Schick owns an apogee caliper and said the Kong's FR system in Hong Kong is the best apogee system he has heard. Panels in the middle of the room and when you go to either side, you get the image. Michael, accurate?

What is Kong using to drive his Full Ranges? Do you know what the rest of his system is by any chance?

What is Kong using to drive his Full Ranges? Do you know what the rest of his system is by any chance?

Now he has Pass X600.5, but previously he had some many CJ, a total combo of 100 odd valves in his set up.

Now he has Pass X600.5, but previously he had some many CJ, a total combo of 100 odd valves in his set up.

Yeesh...100 tubes. I wonder if my Gryphon would be enough to drive the Full Ranges if Rich Murray/TSW used a good passive crossover...or would you say i have to assume a 2nd Gryphon amp to drive the Full Ranges properly?

Yeesh...100 tubes. I wonder if my Gryphon would be enough to drive the Full Ranges if Rich Murray/TSW used a good passive crossover...or would you say i have to assume a 2nd Gryphon amp to drive the Full Ranges properly?

Yes you will need two. But Rich I think just do some adjustment to be driven by one, I forget.

A good way might be to start with Scinnie on current amp and see if you like that sound. 11k euro. Even if you are forced to resell at a loss it won't be much. Anyway later just got back from Munich.

I think his 100 included 24 from Aesthetix IO eclipse and more from the preamp

Yes you will need two. But Rich I think just do some adjustment to be driven by one, I forget.

A good way might be to start with Scinnie on current amp and see if you like that sound. 11k euro. Even if you are forced to resell at a loss it won't be much. Anyway later just got back from Munich.

I think his 100 included 24 from Aesthetix IO eclipse and more from the preamp

thanks...I have never bought just to try and then resell at even a marginal loss. not my thing...suppose that's why most of what i buy is 2nd hand or demo. In any event, having spent time with Apogee Stages many, many years ago, it has remained on my list all this time as a particularly special sound. I probably need to go listen to a Full Range and get a feel for it. I suppose that means Henk?

Caelin, no to horns
That Duettas experience w the visceral wall of sound has cooled my desire for any horns
No, it's more the grand combination of things from potential ribbon signature in treble, to inappropriateness of tubes and Duettas in my large space, to Duettas' overly forensic nature, to most importantly that I truly have a satisfying sound w less overt signature than what I heard at Justin's, and I actually believe it's greedy at this point to potentially throw all my system building out the window for this nirvana/mirage scenario
Decision helped by a lot of first hand experience opinions in private
Micro, decided to put all my music storage at back of room hence reducing listening area depth to 37.5'

Caelin, no to horns
That Duettas experience w the visceral wall of sound has cooled my desire for any horns
No, it's more the grand combination of things from potential ribbon signature in treble, to inappropriateness of tubes and Duettas in my large space, to Duettas' overly forensic nature, to most importantly that I truly have a satisfying sound w less overt signature than what I heard at Justin's, and I actually believe it's greedy at this point to potentially throw all my system building out the window for this nirvana/mirage scenario
Micro, decided to put all my music storage at back of room hence reducing listening area depth to 37.5'

Temperance

Something rarely found amonst audiophiles. Hat's off to you my friend.

Caelin, no to horns

Like most of you here, I am drawn to the spatial qualities of the Apogees and the 'live' jump factor of a horn. There is no perfect speaker, for all tastes and music types. And yet, I am pretty sure that I have found a speaker that has enough of the qualities of both the Apogee and the qualities of a horn without giving away much if anything on either side.

I won't mention it in this thread since it would derail the thread.

Like most of you here, I am drawn to the spatial qualities of the Apogees and the 'live' jump factor of a horn. There is no perfect speaker, for all tastes and music types. And yet, I am pretty sure that I have found a speaker that has enough of the qualities of both the Apogee and the qualities of a horn without giving away much if anything on either side.

I won't mention it in this thread since it would derail the thread.

Talk about leaving us in suspense! Will you mention this 'part Apogee/part horn' in one speaker...in a new thread?

Caelin, thanks for the temperance accolade, I'll do my best to deserve it one day LOL
I've gone thru complete/modded gear: 5 analog front ends, 5 digital, 5 amps SS now tubes, 5 prs spkrs, any number of cbls changes, conditioners to balanced power, dedicated lines and now the uber upgrade of a close to ideal room
And it's the latter two changes, big bucks spent on carving out the new space and providing super quiet pwr to the rig, that is driving down any need/desire to upgrade
I truly am both content and suprised by my current sound
What I loved back in London is maxxed out here w so many other plusses
And I feel duty bound to truly sit back and just take it all in, not start from scratch again w such a big change to Duettas

(...) That Duettas experience w the visceral wall of sound has cooled my desire for any horns (...)

Fortunately you did not listen to an Audio Physics Gaudi speaker in a 20x30' room ... Your definition of visceral wall of sound would have immediately changed again. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing