American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tried Gotham cables with Amphenol connectors- dull and boring.
Use inexpensive chord chrysalis cables, they made for naim or phonosophie..etc not boring.;)
Used 30- 40€ on ebay61248.jpg

Is that in comparison to the Dueland? Which Gotham did you try, and what was it miS
sing? Tia.
No, it was in comparison with DIY VH Audio IC recipe with Shielded Twisted VH Audio Airlock CU wire and WBT NextGen connectors. I used copper instead of silver wire.
This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FR3HX6L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I found this cable to be non-offensive, but lacking life and excitement. This is the best i can describe it.
VH Audio DIY cable is very very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
Love the diffusers on the front wall.
Can you elaborate on them, please

Vicoustic DC2 diffusers. Helps the front wall disappear.

Reactions: christoph
No, it was in comparison with DIY VH Audio IC recipe with Shielded Twisted VH Audio Airlock CU wire and WBT NextGen connectors. I used copper instead of silver wire.
This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FR3HX6L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I found this cable to be non-offensive, but lacking life and excitement. This is the best i can describe it.
VH Audio DIY cable is very very good.

I don't know the cables you mention, but thank you for the follow-up.

Tried Gotham cables with Amphenol connectors- dull and boring.

haha. To me they are very balanced (no frequencies sticking out at all) and extremely quiet.

Reactions: Petrat and tima
That's what I find with Gotham speaker cables. I ordered some of the GAC 4/1 to try the interconnects.

Will be interesting to see how you get on. Scientifically speaking they will be quieter than 95% of audio fool cables due to their construction. I find that helpful in a very efficient system.

haha. To me they are very balanced (no frequencies sticking out at all) and extremely quiet.
Sounds like dynaudio monitors make hardly any mistakes but somehow boring in the long run. is like good food where the salt is missing

• Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Reactions: XV-1
I don't want to salt my sound with flavored cables.
you're welcome to do that, i just think it's a shame if you don't recognize the qualities or shortcomings of devices because the cable doesn't allow it.

Ah mon ami, it is precisely because I do recognize the qualities of my devices that I choose not to salt their sound with cables. :)
I said you can do whatever you want to be happy. If you don't want any cable influences, pay attention to low-impedance devices and a true-balanced design. then the cable sound moves into the background. Just because it fits your device doesn't mean it will fit other devices. devices react too differently to cable capacitances due to their input and output resistances.

Sounds like dynaudio monitors make hardly any mistakes but somehow boring in the long run. is like good food where the salt is missing
One of my first proper speakers was the Dynaudio contour s3.4

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Ah mon ami, it is precisely because I do recognize the qualities of my devices that I choose not to salt their sound with cables. :)
Every cable, electronic parts or components have a sound signature. The ideal of the "piece of amplifying wire without any sound signature" has led to amplifiers that produce 0.0000000001% distortion and therefore produces the best sound of all. It has prooven that this will not function in practise, otherwise any new $100 SS amp from the big asian audio companies would be a dream, soundwise.

We all knew, its not. And it isn't, because the path of even lower distortions, virtually no sound signature, hasn't lead to audio nirvana but just to completely boring sound without any emotions transferred.
So let there be a little salt in your system, it just tastes and sounds better. The art of engineering audio isn't to prevent any salt, but to compose a fine dining menu with the right portions of spice ingredients. Only this will lead to the best sound, imho.

P. S. The "American sound AS-2000" record player has a strong sound signature. It sounds like metal, because the plinth and everything seems to be manufactured from something like metal. Every component has, and this record player is no exception from the rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
The thing about adding salt is that it enhances flavors. That’s great on my eggs in the morning but I don’t put it in my tea or on my banana. I don’t want to taste it on every food.

When I removed the Furutech IEC connectors from the wires connecting my gear to my electrical panel, suddenly my recordings started sounding more different from each other and less the same. I heard more of the music on the recording and less of the flavor added by the connectors. This process continued when I got rid of my audiophile cables.

Listening to music is different from tasting food. I want my system to reproduce the music that is on each individual recording, not enhance the sound of all my LPs with a particular flavor.

To get this thread back on the original topic, I’d like to share the observation that after living with the same turntable that Tang has for a couple of months now, I find that it just gets out of the way more than other tables that I have heard. It does not seem to have a flavor of its own and the music just flows through unenhanced.

Reactions: tima and Lagonda
The thing about adding salt is that it enhances flavors. That’s great on my eggs in the morning but I don’t put it in my tea or on my banana. I don’t want to taste it on every food.

When I removed the Furutech IEC connectors from the wires connecting my gear to my electrical panel, suddenly my recordings started sounding more different from each other and less the same. I heard more of the music on the recording and less of the flavor added by the connectors. This process continued when I got rid of my audiophile cables.

Listening to music is different from tasting food. I want my system to reproduce the music that is on each individual recording, not enhance the sound of all my LPs with a particular flavor.

To get this thread back on the original topic, I’d like to share the observation that after living with the same turntable that Tang has for a couple of months now, I find that it just gets out of the way more than other tables that I have heard. It does not seem to have a flavor of its own and the music just flows through unenhanced.
I think it's quite understandable that salt in tea or a banana is an unpleasant taste.

Thats why I wrote about the right amount of spice in every meal. You shouldn't use a wrong combination and too much of something will not add flavor but will spoil the taste.

And I'm repeating myself here. If an audio component with the lowest distortions, with absolutely no own sound signature, be the best, how would the music sound like on this? It would sound like music sounds on a $100 Yamaha SS amplifier. Emotionless, meaningless, pointless. Because this kind of audio gear has been invented already. It's the super perfect measurement asian audio components. From a technical viewpoint, they are perfect. But do they sound perfect?

And no, this turntable doesn't get "out of the way more than others". Because it imprints every part of the music I heard on this turntable with its own sound signature. And that is the signature of the materials used for the record platter, the plinth etc. Of course, the materials used are audible for the experinced listener, who knows how different materials in audio will sound like.

And thats why no record player "gets out of the way" when it comes to its own sound signature. There is no such thing in audio that has no own sound signature. If you think, try different materials for a record player plinth or a platter and you will learn very fast that every component sounds the way the materials sound it has been produced from.

I have learned this for myself, and I'm no longer been fooled for a record player that, allegedly, has no sound signature.

Build a record player plinth from plastic like the asians do, build it from wood, build it from metal or stone. Every single one will sound different.

So this is nonsense to have an argument about the first record player that has no own sound signature. Of course, it has. And it's audible within every aspect of the music it reproduces. That's why there are so many different turntables on the market. Otherwise, we could only have one, the technical perfect example and that's enough and perfect for everyone. But there is no such thing.

Btw, a scientific test has been done about this topic some 40 years ago. The question once was: do different turntable base drives sound different because they make use of different drive systems, different plinth material etc. It has been proven to be true some decades ago.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing