American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
GAC-4 is a great cable so is the Mogami 2549. I use Mogami 2549 from my preamp to my amps and they are long runs. I used hundreds of meters of it at my studio. If you are in a noisy environment with intense RFI then you can go with 2534. They are all balanced.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Apologize to all friends. Before we further share more info on cheap professional cables. I think there is a Cable for high sensitivity speakers thread. Maybe that is more appropriate. I don't want to side track ddk's thread so much.

Reactions: shakti

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That’s great Tang, if just this one record was played this would be better than the Cessaro.

Can we have one more violin concerto, a different one?

Are you worried he’d miss the WHOO, WHOO, WHOOOO tunnel sound of his subs added to everything including violins?

Understandably, the misconception and error in thinking here is that this speaker system is simply another piece of vintage with some wood paneling stuck on or a half baked DIY project as you see posted everywhere. This speaker pair is something new in the world; a completely new speaker system; built with the best components I know of irrespective of era. Not another speaker with random active subs either but a fully integrated speaker system with enhanced frequency response with matching electronics customized to Tang’s existing system. He knows what he’s getting! The baffle design is also unique and resonance based the design and materials allow for easy bass tuning within a predetermined range adapting the character of the sound to the system, environment and/or personal tastes. You’ll never get this level of integrations and coherence with frequency challenged satellite speakers married to some active subwoofer with generic plate amps and DSP digital crossovers; in this case another hybrid digitized sound that has nothing in common with a SET amplifier level of Lamm ML3.

The YT vids Tang posted here are easy to comprehend fluff pieces for purposes of communication between us as HIS speaker project progressed. His feedback is what determined the tuning range of the baffle. There’s a lot that can’t be conveyed with the YT medium like how a speaker pressurizes the room and because it’s digitized and canned it’s going to coverup a lot of the system/speaker’s deficiencies but enough is represented to have a conversation. Challenging music specially in analog domain and off a record will put everything from the source the speaker through it’s paces and it's where hybrid half active speakers choke most. I don’t know how much people can tell from a YT recording or what they’re using to playback these videos or even how an iphone recording of a difficult piece translates on YT when half the time the mic distorts the top end on louder passages but maybe some will get a glimpse of the system from this video. 1st and 3rd movements are slow but expansive, 2nd movement is where things really get exciting and challenging.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you worried he’d miss the WHOO, WHOO, WHOOOO tunnel sound of his subs added to everything including violins?

david

Not at all, if it was missing a sound I would not have preferred that video.

The reason for asking another one, is as I had mentioned to Tang earlier I expect him to gain on tone, timbre, coherence, but the thing to verify is they are here vs you are there, and change of that stage with recordings, which his system did so well. Hence, requested another similar concerto with an orchestra.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi David,

If you like Schnittke, I recommend this LP with Gutman. Huge intensity to this performance if you can handle it - almost disturbing. I like it and bought a few copies of this LP just in case lol.
607E151A-4488-40CC-AC94-BB85E376551B.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi David,

If you like Schnittke, I recommend this LP with Gutman. Huge intensity to this performance if you can handle it - almost disturbing. I like it and bought a few copies of this LP just in case lol.
View attachment 97813
I thought the one he played was already disturbing Bill. Clock Work Orange kind of classical. o_O

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I thought the one he played was already disturbing Bill. Clock Work Orange kind of classical. o_O

Hehe it is a bit. It takes some brain adjustment but is worth working at getting to that point. Probably best to attempt it when you are feeling in reasonable mood and not low.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hehe it is a bit. It takes some brain adjustment but is worth working at getting to that point. Probably best to attempt it when you are feeling in reasonable mood and not low.
Sure as hell not when you have a migraine.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sure as hell not when you have a migraine.

Acclimatising one’s brain to dissonance or departures from normal scales takes quite a bit of time. In some ways it is like reading that tricky literature that you really have to work at to get into but often you’ll just leave alone in favour of something that gets you into the mood much quicker.
This can be true of the “jazz” world too especially as you get into the more spiritual stuff.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Reactions: ddk

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Love your choice of musical pieces David @ddk.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Acclimatising one’s brain to dissonance or departures from normal scales takes quite a bit of time. In some ways it is like reading that tricky literature that you really have to work at to get into but often you’ll just leave alone in favour of something that gets you into the mood much quicker.
This can be true of the “jazz” world too especially as you get into the more spiritual stuff.

Dissonant nucleic themes offer little sense of journey, destination or narrative.

The music here is almost feral.

The Western ear begs for what it has been trained for: melody, completion and release.

I'm still listening - thanks for the broad coverage, David - while reading about Gutman and Schnitke. I suppose that's an insult to the music, but when I turned back to it, by not focusing on it, I became comfortable with it. Marvelous performance by Gutman (trained by Rostropovich.) I didn't go there, but she's on Facebook.

330px-Schnittke-Grab_2.jpg

Schnitke's grave stone. If you know the musical notation, it's quite clever, almost hilarious.
A fermata (a pause at the musicians discretion) over a whole rest at triple-forte.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Dissonant nucleic themes offer little sense of journey, destination or narrative.

The Western ear begs for what it has been trained for: melody, completion and release.

I'm still listening - thanks for the broad coverage, David - while reading about Gutman and Schnitke. I suppose that's an insult to the music, but when I turned back to it, by not focusing on it, I became comfortable with it. Marvelous performance by Gutman (trained by Rostropovich.) I didn't go there, but she's on Facebook.

View attachment 97817

Schnitke's grave stone. If you know the musical notation, it's quite clever, almost hilarious.
A fermata (a pause at the musicians discretion) over a whole rest at triple-forte.
The post moderns did love a good mystery Tim :eek: … full of codes and hidden messages but only for the equally educated and or well heeled cognoscenti.

Complexity and hidden meanings were all the go in the new era post Shosty but they kept themselves tantalisingly inaccessible to the untrained like us goths… though I think I softened to the new romance of the minimalists in the approaching emerging contemporary era. The angsty dissonant crowd seemed well mostly just angsty and dissonant… perhaps sometimes maybe when the planets align but mostly I guess I just prefer a happy ending :D

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

View attachment 97817

Brilliantly clever haha.

Reactions: tima

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Awesome you got it already haha. I haven’t listened to the vid yet but will do shortly whilst attempting to work hahaha.

I listened to the vid. I forgot how intense it is and the deep melancholy that results in my brain.

Sounding great anyway.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi David,

View attachment 97813

Just got a copy of this LP. Thanks for the information Bill. The music reminds me of Charles Adams and Ronald Searle's dark drawings. Disturbing and fun at the same time.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I listened to the vid. I forgot how intense it is and the deep melancholy that results in my brain.

Sounding great anyway.
The music has the opposite effect on me, I find strength, intensity and passion in it ploughing a very distinct path forward unhindered by the messy world we live in.

david

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The music has the opposite effect on me, I find strength, intensity and passion in it carving a very distinct path forward unhindered by the messy world we live in.

david

I agree. A bit like Howard Rourke‘s fictional architecture designs.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing