Alsyvox vs. Clarisys - What are the Sonic Differences? Anyone Understand Design Differences?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Both brands claim to be the modern descendent of the Apogee speaker. How does each one differ from the original?

Anyone got a handle on the sound of each?

Anyone understand the design approaches?

Thanks in advance

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I definitely hope Ron probes the reasons for that change. From what I experienced at last year's Munich show, that is not an obvious move. But, you know, show conditions...

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I definitely hope Ron probes the reasons for that change. From what I experienced at last year's Munich show, that is not an obvious move. But, you know, show conditions...
I would never buy based on show conditions! I actually have a different perspective than you came up with after having listened to both in proper settings. Different strokes for different folks, which is all good. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.
The Clarisys Auditoriums were perfect for me, I bought them.
It will be nice to hear Ron's perspective. To bad it will only be digital playing.

Reactions: adyc

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most intrigued to learn about this decision as well. Both designers have large flagships (Raffaello and Auditorium) and great smaller gems as well across the size/price points.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would never buy based on show conditions! I actually have a different perspective than you came up with after having listened to both in proper settings. Different strokes for different folks, which is all good. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.
It will be nice to hear Ron's perspective. To bad it will only be digital playing.
Interesting...what are your 'listening notes' from listening to each? Not looking for anyone to create/be subject to controversy. Genuinely interested to read about people's experiences in listening to both. Thanks for anything you might wish to share!

Noting you have one serious system and room! Nice! Auditoriums in a big custom room!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Ron is in transit to a member who just moved from Alsyvox to Clarisys. Have Ron ask him why he changed, and what he thinks.
Hi Mike, Thank you. I had no idea. Not trying to upstage Ron. With Ron being one of the best reviewers, due to his approach of comparative listening - versus "I like it. It's the Best!" we get from the vast majority of audio journalists, I am sure we will get many interesting data points.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Dear Sir, where did you get to audition each? For Alsyvox, my understanding is that the dealer showroom in the Pacific NW of USA is outstanding. All other Alsyvox installations are meh at best, most worse. Just rich guys buying expensive audio jewelry boxes for the "pride of ownership" instead of good sound.

Is there any place to hear the Clarysis outside of the Audioshark dealer / importer's place? Is his room any good thanks

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard them both in munchen.
Both sounded very good , and built quality was excellent
The sound stage of the alsyvox was more deeper projected
Alsyvox was very easy to drive ,Jadis 30 watts .
I dont know about clarisys

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Sir, where did you get to audition each? For Alsyvox, my understanding is that the dealer showroom in the Pacific NW of USA is outstanding. All other Alsyvox installations are meh at best, most worse. Just rich guys buying expensive audio jewelry boxes for the "pride of ownership" instead of good sound.

Is there any place to hear the Clarysis outside of the Audioshark dealer / importer's place? Is his room any good thanks

You could audition the Alsyvox in any Rhapsody showroom and in that trip might surprise yourself with other gear you have not accounted for.

the Soulution video with Clarisys sounded good, you can search that out.

thing is to listen to them in more than one room and with different electronics to check how room affects the rear wave etc and you get to hear different amp combinations. Some could be bad. If one is easier to drive you need to hear that with more amps.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
All other Alsyvox installations are meh at best, most worse. Just rich guys buying expensive audio jewelry boxes for the "pride of ownership" instead of good sound.

What a snobby nonsense ceasar .

I heard alsyvox at a show in holland too , where i also got the impression alsyvox projects behind the speakers

caesar

May 30, 2010
You could audition the Alsyvox in any Rhapsody showroom and in that trip might surprise yourself with other gear you have not accounted for.

the Soulution video with Clarisys sounded good, you can search that out.

thing is to listen to them in more than one room and with different electronics to check how room affects the rear wave etc and you get to hear different amp combinations. Some could be bad. If one is easier to drive you need to hear that with more amps.

thanks. I am looking for "awesome" at this stage in my audio life. their Pacific NW dealer is supposed to be incredible

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
In another thread (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...syvox-visits-rhapsody-audio.29601/post-948259) Robert Harley does a brief interview with Daneile Coen of Alsyvox and details some design aspects of the Alsyvox speakers wrt ribbon design, magnets, efficiency, etc.

I represent Rhapsody.Audio in the Pacific NW, so is my opinion only, I find aesthetically the Alsyvox are far more appealing having seen the big Clarysis seems like a linebacker vs ballerina. (A ballerina that can ROCK!) Sonically I won’t comment my words would be discounted due to my affiliation . When I heard the smaller Clarysis last year @ Axpona I thought they were good, but very small room and too loud volume.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Post a picture of your current system then , afaik it can all be imaginary.
Just as the other " expert "

Sorry, ain’t happening! :)And no one coming to my house. The dogs trained to kill whiny, argumentative audiophiles who argue for the sake of arguing. :):):)

Kidding aside, any communication in this experiential hobby is like "dancing about architecture", especially when it’s impossible to hang out with people and share every experience to hammer out a shared, specific language to describe the experiences. In effect, you have to default to accept that people are telling you the truth. Obviously some people won’t… in the end you have to trust at least some people…some of the time…

But to give you an idea of my top system, it’s a bi-amped MBL 101 with symphonic line kraft and CAT preamp , for a more organic and natural flavor than MBL’s solid state electronics. ( I wouldn't call MBL's electronics "metallic" as Morricab does, but my system is much, much, much more natural.)

If you’re familiar with the MBL house sound - near electrostatic resolution, holographic presentation with the 3D acoustic of the original event carved out in your room, sound waves coming from individual musicians from the 3D space , near horn dynamics, natural tone, rocking bass, great highs, and plays all types of music. (But to be fair, much more loose imaging than box speakers, and image size less on the 101 than a huge panel speaker. The 101X has the image size of big panel speakers, but still no pinpoint imaging with the Omni technology.). Both German physics and the newish bayz also have that 3D Omni presentation and are a lot of fun to listen to, but based on my exposure to those brands , they do not possess the near-horn dynamic prowess of the MBL.

Sound wise, MBL wins “best of show” nearly every time in North America. And my system is better than you would hear at any show or any dealer showroom. 101 is Dream come true for me. But I LOVE big panels also.

I hope this helps satisfy some of your curiosity . Now back to Alsyvox and Clarysis

caesar

May 30, 2010
I represent Rhapsody.Audio in the Pacific NW, so is my opinion only, I find aesthetically the Alsyvox are far more appealing having seen the big Clarysis seems like a linebacker vs ballerina. (A ballerina that can ROCK!) Sonically I won’t comment my words would be discounted due to my affiliation . When I heard the smaller Clarysis last year @ Axpona I thought they were good, but very small room and too loud volume.

Agree with you on the aesthetics. For the design-conscious, Alsyvox is a gorgeous work of art.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I heard them both in munchen.
Both sounded very good , and built quality was excellent
The sound stage of the alsyvox was more deeper projected
Alsyvox was very easy to drive ,Jadis 30 watts .
I dont know about clarisys
Clarysis claims the impedance is 6 ohm flat. Should be very easy to drive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing