Alexia Setup - Upper Array Adjustment Question

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Madfloyd,

Did you discuss your concerns with your dealer when the WASP was done?

The WASP was never done.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What kind of "click" are you talking about? There are no click adjustments on Alexia.
So was it the step block adjustment on the whole upper module, the front and back adjustment on the upper module, or the front and back adjustment on the tweeter?

He's referring to the front /back adjustment of the tweeter.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the clarification guys
With Alexia one of the most important things is to have the 2 speakers at exactly the same height from the floor....

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Huh ?!? Why not? It's a crucial part of this speakers installation...

Well, let's just say that I'm still waiting. After all it's only been 5 months or so. I could tell you some very interesting stories but as I've recently found out, complaining only makes the situation worse.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the clarification guys
With Alexia one of the most important things is to have the 2 speakers at exactly the same height from the floor....

How would they not be - unlike the Sashas, there's only 1 spike size (if I recall correctly). Do you mean getting the threading exactly the same on the spikes? Could you elaborate?

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Ian,

This is straight from our Engineering department in response to your question:

Assuming that the enclosure is 2" from the bottom of the woofer cabinet to the floor the set up is as follows:

Upper Array Spike Length: #3
Upper Array Alignment Block Position: 14
Upper Array Alignment Block Step: 9
Tweeter Detent Position: 5

And as always, room acoustics play a role in sound reproduction, so playing with the alignment positions might be necessary. No other speaker system offers the unique ability to adapt to a room by changing driver locations relative to one another.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ian,

Assuming that the enclosure is 2" from the bottom of the woofer cabinet to the floor the set up is as follows:

And as always, room acoustics play a role in sound reproduction, so playing with the alignment positions might be necessary. No other speaker system offers the unique ability to adapt to a room by changing driver locations relative to one another.

Interesting - for an intermediate distance you pick the values of the shortest distance, except for the tweeter detent position that uses the longer distance.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian,

Debby,

Thank you so much for this - much appreciated.

Ian

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is nice to get such a direct response from the manufacturer. Ian, please let us know how this works out and whether or not you end up moving the speakers up or back and in or out. I have found that it often takes a lot of listening and repositioning to get the speakers, listening seat and room working well together, but when it does, it can dramatically increase listening enjoyment. It should be well worth the effort in the end.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It is nice to get such a direct response from the manufacturer. Ian, please let us know how this works out and whether or not you end up moving the speakers up or back and in or out. I have found that it often takes a lot of listening and repositioning to get the speakers, listening seat and room working well together, but when it does, it can dramatically increase listening enjoyment. It should be well worth the effort in the end.

It certainly is, Peter. I just tried it and seems pretty good.

I did try moving the speakers forward 6" but things get a little cloudy and lumpy in the bass. I'm guessing I have the speakers near the outer edge of the zone of neutrality and that extra 6" takes it out. If I go back 6" I further increase the listening distance which I really don't want to do, so the setting Wilson just provided helps.

Another forum member was kind enough to call me and convey all the things he's watched his dealer go through to setup the speakers and it was very enlightening. This marvelous speaker has so much flexibility (something that attracted me to the speaker in the first place) but it really needs to be carefully setup.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good luck, Madfloyd. Hopefully, you're going to find the right arrangements pretty shortly that get you 98% of the way there or better...and you can settle in and enjoy...and from there, slowly take your time to figure out if there is any minute tweaking to be done, or whether you are, in fact, at 100%.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
How would they not be - unlike the Sashas, there's only 1 spike size (if I recall correctly). Do you mean getting the threading exactly the same on the spikes? Could you elaborate?

Measure from the floor to a known point on the speaker. I use the top socket cap screw on the woofer. On initial install I was off 1/4" and couldn't figure out why everything sucked. Made the adjustment by the threaded spikes so the 2 spks were identical and everything snapped into place!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Measure from the floor to a known point on the speaker. I use the top socket cap screw on the woofer. On initial install I was off 1/4" and couldn't figure out why everything sucked. Made the adjustment by the threaded spikes so the 2 spks were identical and everything snapped into place!

Interesting, thanks for the clarification!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing