‘Captain Phillips’ Oscar Nominee Barkhad Abdi Is Broke

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Joseph Kapsch | The Wrap

Barkhad Abdi is in the running for Oscar gold Sunday, but actual wealth eludes him.
Abdi has been widely praised for his role in “Captain Phillips” as the desperate pirate Muse, and even ad-libbed the film’s signature line: “I’m the captain now.” But a New Yorker story reveals that he is now struggling to support himself.

“When Abdi is in Los Angeles to promote the film, he subsists on a per diem, good at the Beverly Hilton, where the studio likes to put him up. The town car is available only for official publicity events. His clothes are loaners,” reads the article. “Recently Abdi requested that he be allowed to stay at a commuter hotel near LAX to be closer to his friend, a Somali cabdriver from Minneapolis, who shuttles him around for free.”

Abdi earned $65,000 for his performance in the $55 million film, but that was more than two years ago. And even with an Oscar nomination, there’s no guarantee of his future earning potential as an actor. Abdi already won a BAFTA for best supporting actor, and is now reading scripts in search of his next role.

After the Oscars, Abdi plans to move to L.A. and live with fellow “Captain Phillips” actor Faysal Ahmed.
Still, his life is better than it might have been. The 28-year-old was six when war broke out in Somalia, and rape and killing suddenly became common. His mother evacuated the family, first to be with Abdi’s father in Yemen, where he was teaching math. Eventually they settled in Minneapolis in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood, home to many Somalis.

He was working for the limo company when he saw an announcement that a film was looking for actors to play Somali pirates.
After filming “Captain Phillips,” he went to work at his brother’s mobile phone store in Minneapolis. But he decided to quit when the film premiered.
“How I thought about it was, like, When the movie came out, reviews either gonna be good or bad,” he told the New Yorker’s Dana Goodyear. “Either way, I cannot be working here.”

When you make a decision not to work, it's easy to see why you are broke.

When you make a decision not to work, it's easy to see why you are broke.

Yep. It also sounds like he has no background, no training as an actor. He may have just fallen into a role that was perfect for him. There are probably not going to be that many roles for Somali pirates, or Somalis, period, for him to fill. If he gets one more good-paying role, he'd be wise to invest it in educating himself in something marketable.

Cold? Maybe, but real.

Tim

He did a splendid job playing that role. I would be surprised if he doesn't get an offer to participate in another movie for a multiple of the $65.000 he has earned in his first movie.

He did a splendid job playing that role. I would be surprised if he doesn't get an offer to participate in another movie for a multiple of the $65.000 he has earned in his first movie.

Sounds like he is counting on that coming true.

I'm appalled at everyone's seeming indifference to this poor gentleman's plight. He is clearly being exploited by corporate studio fat cats who earn millions of dollars off from his labor. Meanwhile, the industry has the gall to ask for tax breaks (http://www.filmworksca.com/petition) while continuing to resist the reinstatement of the 20% excise tax that was repealed in the 1950's. This only serves to perpetuate a misogynistic industry (casting couch anyone?) that treats its workers unfairly. Why can Tom Hanks make over $10 million dollars per film while this actor makes a pitiful $65,000? Doesn't this income inequality demand government action? We must see beyond our limited cultural experience and demand the industry tear this down this [fill in the blank]-phobic power structure (obviously secretly financed up by the Koch brothers)!

I'm appalled at everyone's seeming indifference to this poor gentleman's plight. He is clearly being exploited by corporate studio fat cats who earn millions of dollars off from his labor. Meanwhile, the industry has the gall to ask for tax breaks (http://www.filmworksca.com/petition) while continuing to resist the reinstatement of the 20% excise tax that was repealed in the 1950's. This only serves to perpetuate a misogynistic industry (casting couch anyone?) that treats its workers unfairly. Why can Tom Hanks make over $10 million dollars per film while this actor makes a pitiful $65,000? Doesn't this income inequality demand government action? We must see beyond our limited cultural experience and demand the industry tear this down this [fill in the blank]-phobic power structure (obviously secretly financed up by the Koch brothers)!

I'm not indifferent to his financial difficulties, but it's a common story repeated in every walk of American life. I'm not indifferent to full-time workers in making less than anyone can be expected to live on in America so we can have cheaper T-shirts and hamburgers, too. Is this guy being exploited? Maybe. But it would take the aforementioned minimum wage workers 3 years to make what he made for one film project, so my sympathy is relative. And here's where it grew thin:

After filming “Captain Phillips,” he went to work at his brother’s mobile phone store in Minneapolis. But he decided to quit when the film premiered.
“How I thought about it was, like, When the movie came out, reviews either gonna be good or bad,” he told the New Yorker’s Dana Goodyear. “Either way, I cannot be working here.”

He quit working. This statement doesn't make it clear why. Maybe he expected, even though the film had just premiered and it's success was unknown, that scripts would start flooding in and he wouldn't have time to work the mobile phone store anymore? Hollywood is fat with actor/retail clerks, actor/waiters, actor/?. If they all quit working to handle potential incoming scripts, you wouldn't be able to get a sandwich in Southern California.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the working poor. Personally, I think every business paying full time employees so little they're eligible for public aid should pay the cost of that aid in post-tax dollars. Or we could just establish a minimum wage people can live on. Either way, I'm tired of supplementing real the labor costs with my tax dollars. But someone who decided not to work? My sympathy has limits.

Tim

He needs to make money, so he can get his teeth fixed.

Why can Tom Hanks make over $10 million dollars per film while this actor makes a pitiful $65,000? Doesn't this income inequality demand government action? We must see beyond our limited cultural experience and demand the industry tear this down this [fill in the blank]-phobic power structure (obviously secretly financed up by the Koch brothers)!

Same reason a famous doctor charges a lot more for an operation than a fresh-off-the-internship doctor... It's called 'experience', and it's not unfair at all. He agreed to the $65k, same as Tom Hanks agreed to his $10 million.

alexandre

Same reason a famous doctor charges a lot more for an operation than a fresh-off-the-internship doctor... It's called 'experience', and it's not unfair at all. He agreed to the $65k, same as Tom Hanks agreed to his $10 million.

alexandre

I guess $65K is the minimum an actor gets as I read that Jonah Hill also got $65K in Wolf Of Wall Street

My guess is that he quit working at the video store in Minneapolis so that he could move to LA to pursue more acting opportunities. Risky, yes. Understandable, yes.

My guess is that he quit working at the video store in Minneapolis so that he could move to LA to pursue more acting opportunities. Risky, yes. Understandable, yes.

Just don't cry about it in the meantime.

That makes him a guy who took a chance on a dream and needs to find a video store in LA that needs help, not an exploited victim of the film industry. The guy did good. He might have a shot. I wish him luck. In the meantime, he might need work.

Tim

Just don't cry about it in the meantime.

That makes him a guy who took a chance on a dream and needs to find a video store in LA that needs help, not an exploited victim of the film industry. The guy did good. He might have a shot. I wish him luck. In the meantime, he might need work.

Tim

Oh, no doubt, though I suspect his whining is a calculated attempt to capitalize on the celebrity that his nomination brought him.

As an aside, I just don't get Jonah Hill. IMO he has had one good role in Super Bad. Beyond that he has been in Django, Wolf Of Wall Street, Money Ball, 21 Jump Street and has received two nominations for Best Supporting Actor. IMO he is a borderline actor who happens to have affluent parents in the industry with his mother being a fashion designer and costume stylist while his father worked with Guns 'N Roses. Maybe they have helped along the way

He was pretty funny in "Get Him To The Greek"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing