Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: Best phono stage

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Capacitance is critical for MM. Pass also believe it makes a difference for MC but I disagree and took mine out
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Barry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I once briefly played around with the various settings, but I did not notice a sonic difference. Of course, I did not know what to listen for.
    For most low inductance MCs, even if you're a bat, the resonant frequency is so high there's no way you'd hear anything!

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks guys.
    Paul

Power - Torus 75 amp WMT. Furutech NCF Lines, Flux-50s, Outlets, PC's. Star ground.
    Cables - Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin (phono).
    Analog Source- ARC Ref 10 Phono. Acoustic Sig Ascona MKII, TA-9000 arm, Lyra Atlas.
    Digital Source- MSB Reference DAC, Femto 33.
    Amplification - Soulution 721 Pre and 501 Monos.
    Speakers - Raidho D3.1
    Room Acoustics - Acoustic Frontiers Design, RPG Plates, Absorption and Diffraction, and Custom Helmholtz Traps.
    Stands - Solid Walnut by Timber Nation.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Atmasphere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Ralph, my Pass phono has a dial for capacitive loading along with the resistive loading that we have been discussing. Could you please explain what capacitive loading is and why it is needed? The range is 100 to 750 in six increments. I have set mine at 100 which is the lowest setting and basically left it there since I bought the unit. I once briefly played around with the various settings, but I did not notice a sonic difference. Of course, I did not know what to listen for. Thank you.
    As mentioned, capacitance is used for loading MM cartridges. Jim Hagerman covered this in the article I linked earlier; there are several calculators embedded in that article which can be helpful. Here is the link again:
    http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html
    Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc. (http://www.atma-sphere.com)

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    And since virtually no one reads the links in their entirety, here is the summary

Summary
    • Minimal loading capacitance is best
    • Moving coil types have far greater frequency response
    • Load resistance tunes damping
    The line is bold has been a well known fact for years
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom isolation/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    I used to own the FM 122. Only piece I regret selling. Its a wonderful phono stage.

Just make sure you have enough overall gain in your system to work with the low 56db gain in the fm phono.
    Hello, I have seen you have TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 in your signature.
    Do you talk about them ?
    I have an Esoteric E03 and I search to improve the phono stage. My turntable is a VPI Classic 3 in rosewood with an audio-technica ART9.

Thank yoy very much

What is better to colour up a grey weekend than a highend -shoot out- with two friends and three phonostages.

Our opponents were two well known candidates from Germany, -Absolute Phono inside- from Clearaudio, the Thöress Phono and a newcomer, the AS Phonolab from Audiospecials, also from Germany.

If you want to judge precise transients and authenticity, a real challenge for even the best phonostages is „Friday night in San Francisco – Paco de Lucia, Al die Meola and John MC Laughlin.

Preamp was the KODA Takumi K-10 that fitted perfect.

First, the Clearaudio got a decision.
    Absolute O.K. But not more. A bit boaring, but nothing we expected from a phonostage over 10000 Dollars.

The two candidates left constituted another league.

The Thöress, in all points wonderful and colourful, such as expected from a tube phono. Better stage, more depth and transparancy well focused. Really good, that was great fun. The heaven turned from grey to blue.

We were really satisfied. Until we switched over to the AS Phonolab.

In all points a further step up. Clear sound, precise attack, a transients playback from the guitar strings that shows what precision and dynamic a vinyl record can offer.

Wide stage with depth, much space between the three musicians, well focused on the point, we could nearly see their shapes. Easy to understand what intention the Audio engineer mixed up in the recording studio.

Common sense. Really fast, sharped focused and so colourful. Natural high frequencies without any sharpness. Best transients playback ever heard yet. A perfect conjunction between precision and authenticity.

We assumed the reason. The AS from Audiospecials has its roots in the PRO Audio section. A look inside tells stories about professional engineering. Such qualities are not coincidence. Sometimes the unexpected things are the best.

But the way is the reward and so we look for further opponents. May be an EMT, but not easy to get.

Name:  141126_5.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  376.0 KB
    Last edited by groovemaster; 06-18-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940