Very happy w/ the Shunyata Typhon addition for the Triton......

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I opened my two Typhon boxes yesterday. They both had a separate box containing the Typhon umbilical and the cables themselves were clearly denoted as such.

Hey MadFloyd...how's things? Congrats on the new boxes! Very exciting. BTW, I notice you have listed Stillpoints under your Alexias...I remember you tried them and took them out. When did they go back in?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hey MadFloyd...how's things? Congrats on the new boxes! Very exciting. BTW, I notice you have listed Stillpoints under your Alexias...I remember you tried them and took them out. When did they go back in?

Hey Lloyd. Things are very interesting here. Having replaced all my power cords with Shunyata I wanted to go further and just received a Triton and two Typhons. I've also been auditioning signal cables and it's been quite an education so far.

My Stillpoints went back in (for the 3rd time) when my stands arrived for my Pass amps. I'm still not sure about them but have been enjoying them. I like how they stop my floor from resonating but I think the very lowest frequencies aren't as tight. Funny thing - a friend of mine decided to sell his Alexias and had them listed on Audiogon when someone wrote him and told him to remove the Stillpoints and listen again before he sold them. So he did that and fell in love with them again and pulled the ad. He felt there was much more decay to instruments without them. Sort of makes me want to take them out again and see what I hear -which means I could try them under my amps again, but I'm not going to do anything like that until I stop making other changes (today I feel like a have completely different speakers and I don't know if it's the Typhon on the amps or the MIT speaker cables I installed last night!).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hey Lloyd. Things are very interesting here. Having replaced all my power cords with Shunyata I wanted to go further and just received a Triton and two Typhons. I've also been auditioning signal cables and it's been quite an education so far.

My Stillpoints went back in (for the 3rd time) when my stands arrived for my Pass amps. I'm still not sure about them but have been enjoying them. I like how they stop my floor from resonating but I think the very lowest frequencies aren't as tight. Funny thing - a friend of mine decided to sell his Alexias and had them listed on Audiogon when someone wrote him and told him to remove the Stillpoints and listen again before he sold them. So he did that and fell in love with them again and pulled the ad. He felt there was much more decay to instruments without them. Sort of makes me want to take them out again and see what I hear -which means I could try them under my amps again, but I'm not going to do anything like that until I stop making other changes (today I feel like a have completely different speakers and I don't know if it's the Typhon on the amps or the MIT speaker cables I installed last night!).

It's the Typhon for sure

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Lots of changes, and many many good choices you seem to have made. In the end, its all about the system (and your tastes of course)...good luck with the hunting. I am sure over time, you will find the formula that works for you. You surely have the ingredients on the recipe list for a wondrous sound...in truth, I imagine you are already there...but ever the fight for more and for better!! ;) Good luck.

If the lowest frequencies are not as tight, but you think the floor vibration is reduced...it may be: speaker vibration, or interaction with the room at those lowest frequencies someplace else. You may have eliminated the floor element, thus revealing one layer down? And that now needs to be dealt with? Just a thought.

wstam

Feb 17, 2013
I opened my two Typhon boxes yesterday. They both had a separate box containing the Typhon umbilical and the cables themselves were clearly denoted as such.

Thanks for sharing back. I am now using the Python umbilical temporary while waiting for my dealer to order the AHC. Will have to wait for a few weeks. My Typhon has plugged in for 6 days by now and I think it has settled quite a fair bit. I am really enjoying the sound now..... never know that my modest system can sound so good :D

Cheers.

Steve Williams

Thanks for sharing back. I am now using the Python umbilical temporary while waiting for my dealer to order the AHC. Will have to wait for a few weeks. My Typhon has plugged in for 6 days by now and I think it has settled quite a fair bit. I am really enjoying the sound now..... never know that my modest system can sound so good :D

Cheers.

it really is a revelation IMO the first time one boots up his system with a Typhon in it

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I received my Typhon after an incredibly long 11month wait. It's only been 3 days since it's been plugged in but the sonic improvements are clearly discernible . I suspect this is going to be a more dramatic change than the Triton.
My big thumbs up to the strong recommendations from other Typhon users on WBF and elsewhere.
Cheers
Pradeep

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
Sorry for the dumb questions, but i hear people saying that they are buying some typhons only for the amplifiers. How can you do that if the typhons can only be connected do the triton?

Did anyone compared the effects of the typhoon to the nordost quantum QX4?

Steve Williams

Sorry for the dumb questions, but i hear people saying that they are buying some typhons only for the amplifiers. How can you do that if the typhons can only be connected do the triton?

Did anyone compared the effects of the typhoon to the nordost quantum QX4?

There are many discussions here about using Typhons in the AC Duplex that their amp is plugged into. The Typhon runs in parallel and you will be astonished as to the improvement in sound quality by doing this. I have a Typhon in each AC duplex that my monoblock amps are plugged into and one Typhon is connected to the Triton for all my front end components

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Enjoy Pradeep

I have one Triton and 3 Typhons and they have been game changers in my system

Thanks Steve
What's your take on settling time/breakin for the Typhon ? From what I recall of the Triton/ Anaconda Zitron combo it just kept getting better but took a while to get there.
Cheers
Pradeep

Steve Williams

Thanks Steve
What's your take on settling time/breakin for the Typhon ? From what I recall of the Triton/ Anaconda Zitron combo it just kept getting better but took a while to get there.
Cheers
Pradeep

I found that the Typhon break in time was much less than the Triton. Just plug it in. You don't need signal to break it in IIRC

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I received my Typhon after an incredibly long 11month wait. It's only been 3 days since it's been plugged in but the sonic improvements are clearly discernible . I suspect this is going to be a more dramatic change than the Triton.
My big thumbs up to the strong recommendations from other Typhon users on WBF and elsewhere.
Cheers
Pradeep

Pradeep, congrats ! I know what you're going through...I got my Typhon a while back...add on to Triton like you...it get's better...wait about 3-4 weeks then pull the plug (but only do it at the end of a listening session :)

Hopefully one day I'll get em for my mono block amps too...

The only thing that seems better is using a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning Battery for my Nagra VPS...Although it's not a clear win for the battery vs Triton/Typhon/Anaconda Zitron on the Nagra. The dynamics seem better on the Shunyata, Transparency/Purity better on the battery...I'd love to try the Nagra MPS with the Shunyata power delivery...that might be the best.

Everything else i clearly, easily, completely is better with Shunyata...

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
You should also get some better rack support for your front end sources. I am sure it is another big improvement.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I found that the Typhon break in time was much less than the Triton. Just plug it in. You don't need signal to break it in IIRC
Steve
If I understand correctly, the circuit breaker switch on the Triton should be on and not that the components are powered on etc

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Pradeep, congrats ! I know what you're going through...I got my Typhon a while back...add on to Triton like you...it get's better...wait about 3-4 weeks then pull the plug (but only do it at the end of a listening session :)

Hopefully one day I'll get em for my mono block amps too...

The only thing that seems better is using a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning Battery for my Nagra VPS...Although it's not a clear win for the battery vs Triton/Typhon/Anaconda Zitron on the Nagra. The dynamics seem better on the Shunyata, Transparency/Purity better on the battery...I'd love to try the Nagra MPS with the Shunyata power delivery...that might be the best.

Everything else i clearly, easily, completely is better with Shunyata...
John
Many thanks. I take it that the Nagra is a stayer. Honestly I haven't found anything that is significantly better. Will check out the Red Wine Audio battery gizmo
Cheers
Pradeep

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Tima
Many thanks. This is most useful. I can't pretend to understand the science but the Typhon has taken an exquisite system a few notches higher. Let the good times roll...
Pradeep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing