How much impact does driver material has on SQ??

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Any driver materials that absorbs moisture or changes in temp has inherent issues
so while I can’t say I have a fav in a given type materials I think over all cross overs used has a big effect as well.

Its why you treat the paper , by doping the driver you can control its mass for consistency ..

Never heard a more natural sounding material for midrange /vocals. Next up Mylar as used in ESL’s and foil for ribbons, their advantage is a large surface area for reduced distortion ..!

Regards

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Don't know the answer to this but just having heard the Wilson XVX I'd say paper and silk is the way to go?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Its why you treat the paper , by doping the driver you can control its mass for consistency ..

Never heard a more natural sounding material for midrange /vocals. Next up Mylar as used in ESL’s and foil for ribbons, their advantage is a large surface area for reduced distortion ..!

Regards
Your post is spot on not just Ny me as I’m a novice
But a buddy who made very good speakers back in the day. Open baffle and now likes ribbons both pure and Mylar backed
very cool to read this brings back memories

Reactions: AudioGod

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Paper has fantastic natural dampening characteristics .
When used in the midrange they can be fine , as long as they don t have to displace a lot of air .
Ime , in the bass the paper membranes flex to much resulting in reduced sonic impact/ accuracy .

Carbon fiber mids would be my second choice .
Ceramics with " perfect pistonic " behaviour , no thanks
They lack resonace dissipation

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
in the bass the paper membranes flex to much resulting in reduced sonic impact/ accuracy
respectfully I will challenge this statement. The best and most articulate bass I have ever heard comes from Wilson paper woofers.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
respectfully I will challenge this statement. The best and most articulate bass I have ever heard comes from Wilson paper woofers.
You mean XVX and alexx ??
I would nt trade mine for those thats for sure.
Nomex kevlar with a honey comb structure for the bass , paper for mids

1694983377702.jpeg

1694983188890.jpeg

Last edited:

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m gonna look tomorrow at new composite prototype designs i have a company make for me.
Smaller and cheaper speakers, finally found a company who is willing to make small numbers

LS units ;
Nomex kevlar woofers , paper mids , textile domes ( or may be beryllium )
Nothing new in that regard , hearing a lot of new membranes over the past years didn t change that

1694985278925.jpeg

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I also wanna make a design with big 32 cm paper woofers but not ordinary .
These are paper sandwich with foam in between as a reinforcement no regular paperpulp

1694986128828.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Vandersteen had some relevance back when he made great sounding budget speakers, i love my cheap Vandy subs, but real high end ? :rolleyes: I would look elsewhere, even if his prices have gone drastically up.:)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
What type of woofers are these not materials but closed , vented and so on
it sounds very good on phone and buds
any other videos to share ?

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
In my second system I have a pair of Magico A-5's as I was naively thinking "high tech materials". While I like them it's no contest with my Wilson's bass response. YMMV

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
OP, can you see this is no way to pick a speaker? How are you going to make sense of other people’s preferences?

Travel expenses to audio shows and dealers will be much less costly than changing your mind. It’s not just the speakers because the speaker choice affects the upstream electronics. Get a general idea of what you think is worth further listening and then find a good dealer that carries the line. It is possible to buy new from a dealer and save money by getting it right the first time…..

Here is a way to know when you are ready to buy an expensive speaker……..You have heard it along with its competitors and your preference won’t be swayed by something you read on an audio forum. You will know that different people like different things and, most importantly, you will know what *you* like.

And now, back to the arguments. Which are always in progress….

I don’t think Vandersteen’s video was intended to compare anything but cones to cones. It proved that an expensive paper cone was distorting at 1,400 cycles (objective fact) and this is a frequency that a midrange driver will be reproducing. Whether or not you *hear* that distortion or think it’s important in the overall context of the sound ( subjective preference) is, of course, personal.

Magico, Rockport, Vandersteen, Zellaton, Estelon, Coltrane, Vivid, and others, think they can get better sound using something besides a treated paper driver. All of these speakers have big followings and detractors.

I picked Vandersteen and Zellaton as favorites based on listening to them and many, many other speakers (including big Wilsons, Sonus Faber, horns, stats, etc.). I didn’t know anything about the driver technology at the time of my first impressions and I had not heard of either brand. And yet, I picked these two from the herd without hesitation. And they have some technology in common which I find interesting. Based on what I had read over the years, I was expecting to like Magico or Wilson. Means nothing except that I learned what I like.

As for bass….

I think an expensive speaker should include powered low bass that can be tuned to the room. Preferably with analog EQ. That hugely narrows the field. The $398,000 MBL Extremes or the higher end Vandersteens do this. Von Schweikerts have powered bass but are not quite as adjustable (if I recall). There are probably other choices, but not many. Again, others have different preferences. Mine is for a balanced frequency response and plenty of grunt, without turning a shared use room into a science project trying to fix bass problems or worrying about sucking an amplifier dry when I play it loud.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the OP is a difficult question to answer. Yes, driver material affects sound qualities.

Yet I believe that implementation affects the resulting sound more than the driver material.

• Love
Reactions: AudioGod and ScottK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing