Toward a Better WBF…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think WBF has a lot of things going for it…lots of serious audiophiles, loads of true experts, considerate forum ownership, and much thoughtful discussion. However, I think there is more than enough disagreeable and downright rude posts on some threads.

May I humbly suggest we try as a forum to do three things…? And I am guilty myself on these so there is much work to be done in my own posting as well.

1. Let’s respect different and unpopular opinions on sound quality. Don’t like MQA? That’s fine. It’s not doing great but on sonic attributes many of us hear improved quality. Let’s respect that. Don’t like a particular approach like SET/horns or drivers/solid state then let’s respect and learn from our different approaches.

2. Let’s think more about presenting a compelling argument. I think when we can reference experts or AES research, we learn more. I‘m smart enough to know I certainly don’t have all the answers. Far from it. It seems to me that audio is actually a very complex and fast-changing subject.

3. Let’s think more about the impact of system setup. I think this subject is covered pretty well here but my thinking is that understanding the listener’s space and setup may account for some of the sonic differences that people report here. I don’t mean to dismiss anything that’s not a fancy listening room as many have constraints due to expensive city apartments, wife acceptance factor, etc. I heard some fancy rooms with poor setup and lousy sound.

Is this a reasonable request, or am I off base?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think you are missing addressing the points where those with an agenda wrongly justify certain approaches/components. In that case

Audio isn’t as fast changing and complex as you want to make it out to be. Lot of gear is just plain overpriced hyped stuff irrespective of set up. You really can’t do much if a loudspeaker has poorly designed crossovers, mismatched drivers, and is sold to audiophiles purely on branding. Coke, Pepsi, are good examples, and we have many eating sugary Kellogg cereals thinking they are healthy.

WBF is a great forum already, respecting the incorrect might make it peaceful but not better. Dodging with intellectual dishonesty like it happened on the other thread will be discouraged

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think you are missing addressing the points where those with an agenda wrongly justify certain approaches/components. In that case

Audio isn’t as fast changing and complex as you want to make it out to be. Lot of gear is just plain overpriced hyped stuff irrespective of set up. You really can’t do much if a loudspeaker has poorly designed crossovers, mismatched drivers, and is sold to audiophiles purely on branding. Coke, Pepsi, are good examples, and we have many eating sugary Kellogg cereals thinking they are healthy.

WBF is a great forum already, respecting the incorrect might make it peaceful but not better. Dodging with intellectual dishonesty like it happened on the other thread will be discouraged

What intellectual dishonesty? There was a difference of opinion. This is an example of what I am referring to. Not respecting the opinions of others. And you are dismissing a storied loudspeaker brand with much innovation you don’t like by labeling it as branding. That’s another example of the rudeness I am referring to.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i guess i'm not aware of any thread or situation prompting this thread idea. did i miss something? if so maybe describe what is the root cause of this thread subject (a link would be helpful) so i can think about it with the complete picture.

it's a mistake to try and steer things. my opinion is that the culture of WBF is about right (never perfect and always ebbing and flowing as it should with a healthy forum). zero fireworks is not the goal.

try to be nice, but don't hold back, and think before you hit 'post reply'.....is about as far as i would go. we want to encourage participation, not have members feel like they need to check off a list. they already have their own sense of things. and the TOS to guide us.

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Be nice but don’t hold back is just about right. If I do not agree with an opinion, like on MQA , just take it just like it is, an opinion. Trying to smooth things over seems just like an attempt to avoid having your audio assumptions challenged.

Republicoftexas69

You all have made great points, I think most can see through the folks with agendas, yes some may be a bit abrasive. I think it all goes back to what we learned in kindergarten, be nice. Even if you know the other person is wrong.;)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
i guess i'm not aware of any thread or situation prompting this thread idea. did i miss something? if so maybe describe what is the root cause of this thread subject (a link would be helpful) so i can think about it with the complete picture.

it's a mistake to try and steer things. my opinion is that the culture of WBF is about right (never perfect and always ebbing and flowing as it should with a healthy forum). zero fireworks is not the goal.

try to be nice, but don't hold back, and think before you hit 'post reply'.....is about as far as i would go. we want to encourage participation, not have members feel like they need to check off a list. they already have their own sense of things. and the TOS to guide us.

I certainly don’t want people to hold back. It’s good to be challenged. My concern was more around the rudeness and personal attacks in some replies.

Reactions: hogen

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Be nice but don’t hold back is just about right. If I do not agree with an opinion, like on MQA , just take it just like it is, an opinion. Trying to smooth things over seems just like an attempt to avoid having your audio assumptions challenged.

I am not indicating in the OP to avoid any assumptions being challenged. I am merely suggesting that we do it politely and respectfully.

Reactions: hogen and ashandger

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Whilst we are trying to make this forum a better place, can we please drop the 'wife acceptance factor' line. Perhaps both partners have a love of music and interest in HiFi and perhaps both partners are also interested in design and style... just saying.
Sure. Maybe we need to call it partner acceptance factor…or design considerations.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I certainly don’t want people to hold back. It’s good to be challenged. My concern was more around the rudeness and personal attacks in some replies.
i respect those feelings, Lee. i don't like it either.

but the forum has to have a bit of the Wild, Wild, West freedom to be open and healthy. low level boorish behavior is not covered in the TOS. thick skin is preferred. the community has to step up or use ignore.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you look at theTOS:

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum.

I think that should guide people as to how they interact on the forum.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If you look at theTOS:

2. Cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum.

I think that should guide people as to how they interact on the forum.

Yes, I realize that. But you don’t seem to enforce that rule very often.

Reactions: tima

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I will self reference an ancient but evergreen post:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, I realize that. But you don’t seem to enforce that rule very often.

1. We only look at posts reported to us.
2. The definition of cordial is a gray area.
3. If a reported comment doesn’t lead to a tit for tat we tend to let it go.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lee is just worried people are challenging his claims that dCS apex and XVX are at the forefront of ground breaking technology, MoFi is quality, and long term loans are fine etc. he wants us to be cordial and let those comments slip by

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Lee is just worried people are challenging his claims that dCS apex and XVX are ST the forefront of ground breaking technology, MoFi is quality, and long term loans are fine etc. he wants us to be cordial and let those comments slip by
you sir, are a sh*t stirrer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
you sir, are a sh*t stirrer.

no, just nipping his post in the bud. You are doing it politely, industry shouldn’t think they can dictate these terms on an audiophile forum.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
1. We only look at posts reported to us.
2. The definition of cordial is a gray area.
3. If a reported comment doesn’t lead to a tit for tat we tend to let it go.

Fair enough. Thanks for the moderation work you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing