Songer Audio's Next Generation Driver, and the S1x

songeraudio

Manufacturer Handmade Field Coil Speakers
Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
It's an exciting day for us at Songer Audio. After many months of design, development, and testing, we are pleased to announce our next generation field coil driver this afternoon, and the new S1x. While we have yet to decide on a final name for it, this is the fourth major iteration of the field coil at the heart of our loudspeakers.

The seeds of what has grown into this latest evolution were planted over the course several conversations with a potential client of significant means. "If you would have had no cost constraints of any kind during early development," he asked, "would you have made some different choices in designing your speakers?". "Well, of course I would have", I replied, and listed through a few that immediately came to mind. "Good," he said, "that's the speaker I'd want you to build for me." And then starting the next day, I began drawing up a detailed proposal of everything that I might have done on free of cost concerns, with the driver, and with the S1 and S2.

Today's summit is some measure of the realization of many, however certainly not all of the improvements that came to mind during that expansive thought exercise.

Much of the driver design was revisited in this development cycle. The voice coils have been cryogenically processed, a three day exercise in which the wire is submerged in liquid nitrogen for a full 48 hours at -300°F. This compresses the metal, purifies it, and makes its crystalline structure uniform. The wire becomes more conductive, and signals passing through it are less affected by distortion. While some companies representing every facet of the audio industry use deep cryogenic processing, many of you will know that Børresen employs it in their magnificent loudspeakers - to what I felt was certainly great editorial if not actual effect. I needed convincing, and when the treated wire showed back up at our shop I was skeptical of whether it would make any noticeable difference.

I am certainly no longer skeptical. It is among the more significant improvements I've ever made to the driver.

The internal geometry of the motor has been redesigned, and the steel it's milled from contains less than half the carbon content of its predecessor, which allows for a higher saturation point. The pole piece is made from Permendur in the magnetic gap, where the voice coil is suspended. For those of us unfamiliar with it, Permendur is a cobalt iron magnetic alloy. It offers the highest saturation flux density of any commercially available metal, and as a result significantly improves the strength and quality of our driver's magnetic field. It is costly, and difficult both to source, and to machine. However by using it the peak performance of our field coil magnet has now reached 1.9 Tesla, or 19,000 Gauss. That strength and permeability confer immense control and accuracy of motion to the driver cones.

A new phase plug is milled from solid copper. The primary purpose of any phase plug is to guide sound and prevent cancellation, however in our application it is likewise used as a faraday ring, or shorting ring. While typically found inside the magnetic gap of drivers as a sleeve, we have found it to be effective either just above or below the gap as well, which in turn allows us to preserve gap width and flux density. Faraday rings lower the measured inductance of a driver, which offers better treble performance, and lower distortion. The final function of our phase plug is heat dissipation, away from the field coil. While our prior design performed all of these functions admirably with a small copper ring at the base of an aluminum version, the 110 copper is markedly better, in both respects.

Lastly, we have found a more performant leather to use in our surrounds, which also contributes a measurable, beneficial difference in the behavior of the driver.

The first application of this new creation is of course in it's purest expression, the S1. With the new driver, the S1 comes in at 8 Ohms, down from 16 Ohms prior, in part due to the cryogenic treatment of the voice coils. The internal cabinet lining and damping have been improved, and all internal wiring has been upgraded. The bases of the loudspeaker are improved as well, now comprised of a high mass phenolic resin-based composite material.

Lastly, the efficiency of the new S1x has improved over the S1, producing 95dB @ 1w/1m.

The first S1x was delivered just two weeks ago. It will make it's official debut with us at the Southwest Audio Fest in Dallas next week, at the Anatole Hilton in room 1418, March 15-17. This is unquestionably our most refined and expressive work to date. Look for system details, coming shortly.

nova_driver.jpg

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It's an exciting day for us at Songer Audio. After many months of design, development, and testing, we are pleased to announce our next generation field coil driver this afternoon, and the new S1x. While we have yet to decide on a final name for it, this is the fourth major iteration of the field coil at the heart of our loudspeakers.

The seeds of what has grown into this latest evolution were planted over the course several conversations with a potential client of very significant means. "If you would have had no cost constraints of any kind during early development," he asked, "would you have made some different choices in designing your speakers?". "Well, of course I would have", I replied, and listed through a few that immediately came to mind. "Good," he said, "that's the speaker I'd like you to build for me." And then starting the next day, I began drawing up a detailed proposal of everything that I might have done on an unlimited budget, with the driver, and with the S1 and S2.

Today's summit is some measure of the realization of many, however certainly not all of the improvements that came to mind during that expansive thought exercise.

Much of the driver design was revisited in this development cycle. The voice coils have been cryogenically processed, a three day exercise in which the wire is submerged in liquid nitrogen for a full 24 hours at -300°F. This compresses the metal, purifies it, and makes its crystalline structure uniform. The wire becomes more conductive, and signals passing through it are less affected by distortion. While some companies representing every facet of the audio industry use deep cryogenic processing, many of you will know that Børresen employs it in their magnificent loudspeakers - to what I felt was certainly great editorial if not actual effect. I needed convincing, and when the treated wire showed back up at our shop I was skeptical of whether it would make any noticeable difference.

I am certainly no longer skeptical. It is among the more significant improvements I've ever made to the driver.

The internal geometry of the motor has been redesigned, and the steel it's milled from contains less than half the carbon content of the previous design, which allows for a higher saturation point. The pole piece is made from Permendur in the magnetic gap, where the voice coil is suspended. For those of us unfamiliar with it, Permendur is a cobalt iron magnetic alloy. It offers the highest saturation flux density of any commercially available metal, and as a result significantly improves the strength and quality of our driver's magnetic field. It is costly, and difficult both to source, and to machine. However by using it the peak performance of our field coil magnet has now reached 1.9 Tesla, or 19,000 Gauss. That strength and permeability confer immense control and accuracy of motion to the driver cones.

A new phase plug is milled from solid copper. The primary purpose of any phase plug is to guide sound and prevent cancellation, however in our application it is likewise used as a faraday ring, or shorting ring. While typically found inside the magnetic gap of drivers as a sleeve, we have found it to be effective either just above or below the gap as well, which in turn allows us to preserve gap width and flux density. Faraday rings lower the measured inductance of a driver, which offers better treble performance, and lower distortion. The final function of our phase plug is heat dissipation, away from the field coil. While our prior design performed all of these functions admirably with a small copper ring at the base of an aluminum version, the 110 copper is markedly better, in both respects.

Lastly, we have found a more performant leather to use in our surrounds, which also contributes a measurable, beneficial difference in the behavior of the driver.

The first application of this new creation is of course in it's purest expression, the S1. With the new driver, the S1 comes in at 8 Ohms, down from 16 Ohms prior, in part due to the cryogenic treatment of the voice coils. The internal cabinet lining and damping have been improved, and all internal wiring has been upgraded. The bases of the loudspeaker are improved as well, now comprised of a high mass phenolic resin-based composite material.

Lastly, the efficiency of the new S1x has improved over the S1, producing 95dB @ 1w/1m.

The first S1x was delivered just two weeks ago. It will make it's official debut with us at the Southwest Audio Fest in Dallas next week, at the Anatole Hilton in room 1418, March 15-17. This is unquestionably our most refined and expressive work to date. Look for system details, coming shortly.

View attachment 126464
This new iteration of your driver sounds like there are an important series of steps forward that you’ve been able to bring into play Ken, even just going over to a Permendur pole alone would be a notable move but all the mods and improvements here in total make this look like a marked new development in your design.

Looking forward to hearing more on this new version and feedback from the show… maybe even some comparative videos between the two versions of the driver would be a fascinating thing to be able to hear. Congratulations on the new driver… really nice work!

Last edited:
Reactions: songeraudio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Ken!

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Will you be at AXPONA?

mresseguie

Feb 26, 2016
Great news! I look forward to hearing your speakers again at this year's PAF.

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
This new iteration of your driver sounds like there are an important series of steps forward that you’ve been able to bring into play Ken, even just going over to a Permendur pole alone would be a notable move but all the mods and improvements here in total make this look like a marked new development in your design.

Looking forward to hearing more on this new version and feedback from the show… maybe even some comparative videos between the two versions of the driver would be a fascinating thing to be able to hear. Congratulations on the new driver… really nice work!
Thank you for this kind reply, Graham. With each development cycle I'm surprised to have not yet reached diminishing return... nothing left around me but very tall trees to climb, and very small fruit to pick from them. In spite of that never having been the case, I feel that way even now... I'll never design a driver meaningfully better than this one.

Comparative videos would be fun! I notice the differences in them, but on the other hand every time I share my videos with my best friend Andrew, he replies with one sentence: "It sounds exactly like my cellphone, Ken." :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

The seeds of what has grown into this latest evolution were planted over the course several conversations with a potential client of very significant means. "If you would have had no cost constraints of any kind during early development," he asked, "would you have made some different choices in designing your speakers?". "Well, of course I would have", I replied, and listed through a few that immediately came to mind. "Good," he said, "that's the speaker I'd like you to build for me." And then starting the next day, I began drawing up a detailed proposal of everything that I might have done on an unlimited budget, with the driver, and with the S1 and S2.

Much of the driver design was revisited in this development cycle. The voice coils have been cryogenically processed, a three day exercise in which the wire is submerged in liquid nitrogen for a full 48 hours at -300°F. This compresses the metal, purifies it, and makes its crystalline structure uniform. The wire becomes more conductive, and signals passing through it are less affected by distortion. While some companies representing every facet of the audio industry use deep cryogenic processing, many of you will know that Børresen employs it in their magnificent loudspeakers - to what I felt was certainly great editorial if not actual effect. I needed convincing, and when the treated wire showed back up at our shop I was skeptical of whether it would make any noticeable difference.

The internal geometry of the motor has been redesigned, and the steel it's milled from contains less than half the carbon content of its predecessor, which allows for a higher saturation point. The pole piece is made from Permendur in the magnetic gap, where the voice coil is suspended. For those of us unfamiliar with it, Permendur is a cobalt iron magnetic alloy. It offers the highest saturation flux density of any commercially available metal, and as a result significantly improves the strength and quality of our driver's magnetic field. It is costly, and difficult both to source, and to machine. However by using it the peak performance of our field coil magnet has now reached 1.9 Tesla, or 19,000 Gauss. That strength and permeability confer immense control and accuracy of motion to the driver cones.

View attachment 126464
Hi Ken....having heard your speakers many times and loving what I heard, it is difficult to comprehend that you've made it even better. Knowing your prowess in design however I'm betting you've hit another walk off home run

• Love

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I'd like to take a moment to share a few details with everyone about the extraordinary brands, components and people that will be partnering with Songer Audio at the Southwest Audio Fest next week.

The system that we showed with at the 2023 Capital Audiofest was the finest curation of components we have ever paired with our loudspeakers, and we're delighted to return in Dallas with much of that memorable system intact.

Innovative, bespoke, and unparalleled craftsmanship is my north star, and, we strive to partner with people and products that share in that aspiration. It couldn't be more present in both the amplifier and digital source that will bring our speakers to life at the event, a Trafomatic Rhapsody 300B 20wpc single-ended amplifier, and a Lampizator Poseidon, the reference level digital source now in its complete visual form.

The people behind these brands share in our DNA. Everything they produce is meticulously designed and painstakingly built by hand, with uncompromising standards for quality, and guided by a passion for perfecting the experience of music. What's more, the people who then represent these brands here in North America are emblematic of the warmth, professionalism, intelligence and integrity that we've encountered from so many individuals in the audio industry. Allow me to express our gratitude and admiration to Gary Leeds and Fred Ainsley; we are fortunate to find ourselves in such rare company, and aligned with artisans that so closely share our vision.

Media will be handled by a Statement, the flagship streamer and server from Innuos, and lastly, we have lucked into a Stromtank 2500Q. It will provide and condition power to both our field coil power supplies, and all system components.

rhapsody.jpg

Poseidon-front-angled-700.jpg

innuos.png

S2500Q_03.jpg

mmcgill829

Mar 17, 2024
Dallas, TX
I'd like to take a moment to share a few details with everyone about the extraordinary brands, components and people that will be partnering with Songer Audio at the Southwest Audio Fest next week.

The system that we showed with at the 2023 Capital Audiofest was the finest curation of components we have ever paired with our loudspeakers, and we're delighted to return in Dallas with much of that memorable system intact.

Innovative, bespoke, and unparalleled craftsmanship is my north star, and, we strive to partner with people and products that share in that aspiration. It couldn't be more present in both the amplifier and digital source that will bring our speakers to life at the event, a Trafomatic Rhapsody 300B 20wpc single-ended amplifier, and a Lampizator Poseidon, the reference level digital source now in its complete visual form.

The people behind these brands share in our DNA. Everything they produce is meticulously designed and painstakingly built by hand, with uncompromising standards for quality, and guided by a passion for perfecting the experience of music. What's more, the people who then represent these brands here in North America are emblematic of the warmth, professionalism, intelligence and integrity that we've encountered from so many individuals in the audio industry. Allow me to express our gratitude and admiration to Gary Leeds and Fred Ainsley; we are fortunate to find ourselves in such rare company, and aligned with artisans that so closely share our vision.

Media will be handled by a Statement, the flagship streamer and server from Innuos, and lastly, we have lucked into a Stromtank 2500Q. It will provide and condition power to both our field coil power supplies, and all system components.

View attachment 126507

View attachment 126508

View attachment 126510

View attachment 126511
I attended the show this weekend (Saturday) and this room was one of my personal highlights! Really wonderful. A truly reference-level streaming system. Thanks for coming! Very happy we finally have a good show in the south.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Looks like a nice speaker.

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
I attended the show this weekend (Saturday) and this room was one of my personal highlights! Really wonderful. A truly reference-level streaming system. Thanks for coming! Very happy we finally have a good show in the south.
It was our great pleasure, thank you so much for spending time with us. The system was absolutely extraordinary. The S1x and Nova driver exceeded even my own expectations.

We had a great show, and can't wait to come back next year. The venue was excellent, and as usual Lou and Gary did a top notch job running the event. We did a panel discussion with John Wolff of Classic Audio Loudspeakers, mediated by our own Ron Resnick, that was well-attended and a ton of fun, too. What a great weekend!

Reactions: mmcgill829

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Were you able to find an answer to the Audiophile Junkie's question about the VU meters?
Yep! There's a dial on the amp that mediates the sensitivity of the meter. It was turned up to eleven, as they say. Once I'd discovered it and turned it down to something more moderate, the meter behaved as one may expect.

Reactions: Audio Addict

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am picking up some amps in Portland in the not distant future. I will stop by. My friend Bob will be with me.

songeraudio

Aug 3, 2022
Portland, OR
www.songeraudio.com
Can we make it party Rex/Mr. Songer? ;)
Absolutely! As Rex knows, the current listening space for the S1 is pleasing, but of a fairly modest size - ideal for an individual client, or taking turns in the listening chair.

Alternately however, I can coordinate with Whammerdyne for the S1x in the larger listening room as well, with a just a day or two of notice. Keep me posted, Rex!

Reactions: Chrisl

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I will have my Audion with me. SET 845.
Is this Chris G from Portland. If so, get your room done and have them as a demo. They would fit your space well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing