How much impact does driver material has on SQ??

AudioGod

Aug 27, 2023
Finland
Some speakers use exotic drivers and some use "simple" drivers
The exotic ones don't always sound better
But I must admit Beryllium tweeters sound the best to me.
So I'm not so sure how much impact the driver material itself has on the sound quality .
What are your thoughts on the subject ?

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
It can matter. A lot. See this from Vandersteen

Reactions: ecwl and AudioGod

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
And one other thing….

There is an audible benefit of using the same materials for all drivers (except subs). My two favorite speakers do this - the Vandersteen Model 7 and the classic Zellatons

Reactions: AudioGod

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Some speakers use exotic drivers and some use "simple" drivers
The exotic ones don't always sound better
But I must admit Beryllium tweeters sound the best to me.
So I'm not so sure how much impact the driver material itself has on the sound quality .
What are your thoughts on the subject ?
I would say it all matters ( in the case of a cone: cone material, surround, spider, magnet type and size, voice coil design etc. ) but that doesn't mean that different designers wont have different preferences as they tackle all the compromises towards their goals.

iow hard to say whats best in many cases

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
And one other thing….

There is an audible benefit of using the same materials for all drivers (except subs). My two favorite speakers do this - the Vandersteen Model 7 and the classic Zellatons

Well both ESL and Ribbon panels are not pistonic , then again they have bad sounding midranges , Vandersteen maybe correct ..!

:)

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
The midrange of my DIY horn speakers is an AER BD3 in an Oris 150 horn. The AER driver has a paper cone. I might deluding myself, but I find the SQ it produces to be very good, fast, coherent, tuneful, with great transients, etc. I have tremendous respect for Mr. Vandersteen, but I feel that in this particular case he is painting with too broad a brush when he condemns all paper cone drivers.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
With Dynamic drivers treated paper is still the best for midrange ...

Vandersteen is way off IMO as many of these wonder material drivers are so bad when operated out of bandwidth , that magic wonder xovers are needed making for clean and clear but very Hifi sounding products ..!

To each their own ...!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
With Dynamic drivers treated paper is still the best for midrange ...

Vandersteen is way off IMO as many of these wonder material drivers are so bad when operated out of bandwidth , that magic wonder xovers are needed making for clean and clear but very Hifi sounding products ..!

To each their own ...!
Audiohertz,

What components and speakers do you have in your system?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Any driver materials that absorbs moisture or changes in temp has inherent issues
so while I can’t say I have a fav in a given type materials I think over all cross overs used has a big effect as well.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have no idea if I like paper or composites. I have never heard a speaker with either material to swap back and forth. To hear one or the other in a different box with different crossover, different amp, different toom. Pretty hard to draw any real conclusions.

I do have PAP trio 10 and 15. The 10 woofers/midrange are a composit. I like the 15 a whole lot more. But there is a large size difference.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’m audio many look to new age materials in the hope to attract buyers on new tech merit
be it better or not. alum woofers as an example some say they ring I’ve never measured
but stiffness and lightness does have merit
they all need to move air right but air is very variable
In density so what is best ?
to me room first then speakers but it can be done opposite either way the amp must drive them well to given loudness. This makes me feel materials used has a large effect on room size and seating

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing