Zero Distortion: Tango Time

They're imperfect in a slightly more noticeable way but on a nice stereo I don't think it detracts any magic.
I share the same view. I think how they remastered it is a little weird. I even think it is digitized. But the way he played it and the presence factor just take all distraction away especially one he plays Tchaikovsky. I actually prefer Kogan on Melodiya to other labels that I have.

Today I revisited Melodiya Kogan Brahms and Lalo in mono. I have not listened this vinyl since I removed three giant absorber panels behind my speakers and installed the subs. I thought the record was good but only til now with this Vdh Mono Replay I realize this record is more than good for what was recorded in the 50's. It does sound like a Russian mono that put spotlight on Kogan and gives the orchestra less drama. Kogan performance is breathtaking. I just got lost with time listening and picked up my boy late from school. Goose bump listening session. My wife would not give me dinner if she knew.. that would give me even more goose bumps. The vdh mono is opening up more. From my experience at around 200 hrs it will be just sound from the air.

This is the album. Good sound even if you don't use mono cart.

Brahms violin.

Lalo

Tang, these videos sound really good. I noticed for the first time that you reoriented your amplifiers to be symmetrical. Did you do that when adding the horn subs? I teased you about that long ago and remember getting ridiculed. I swear the system sounds better now and I feel calmer. ;)

About a month ago I sent two vdh for repair. One is the normal Master Sig. The other is also a Master Sig but in 5R with 0.35mV. The 5R was brand new from ddk but it had a clearance problem, the cantilever cylinder bottomed out when play with not perfectly flat records. I had only played it a few days before sending out for a fix. This MS 5R had the most believable realism and best natural resolution I have heard. The normal Master Sig (after repairing tracking problem) came back to me unexpected. Mr.Vdh decided to transform it to a Gran Cru for me. The cost of fixing the cart is around 500 euros freight included. So this is peanut and a charm of vdh. I hope my luck with vdh keep coming. Three out of four arms of my AS 2000 will have a MS 5R, a MS Mono Replay and a Gran Cru. Mr.VdH just made himself a version of Gran Cru for playing jazz specifically and thought it was another trophy of his. Maybe my fourth arm is waiting for that.

About a month ago I sent two vdh for repair. One is the normal Master Sig. The other is also a Master Sig but in 5R with 0.35mV. The 5R was brand new from ddk but it had a clearance problem, the cantilever cylinder bottomed out when play with not perfectly flat records. I had only played it a few days before sending out for a fix. This MS 5R had the most believable realism and best natural resolution I have heard. The normal Master Sig (after repairing tracking problem) came back to me unexpected. Mr.Vdh decided to transform it to a Gran Cru for me. The cost of fixing the cart is around 500 euros freight included. So this is peanut and a charm of vdh. I hope my luck with vdh keep coming. Three out of four arms of my AS 2000 will have a MS 5R, a MS Mono Replay and a Gran Cru. Mr.VdH just made himself a version of Gran Cru for playing jazz specifically and thought it was another trophy of his. Maybe my fourth arm is waiting for that.
In a couple of days I’ll be able to update you on the new version :).

david

Every end of year I reassess my system. Now I am wondering how I could possibly said my system sounded great back then. Embarrassing.

Every end of year I reassess my system. Now I am wondering how I could possibly said my system sounded great back then. Embarrassing.

Good to see you're also on a learning curve, even w such a stellar gear cast list.
In my own little way, I'm getting "there" as well. I've made massive strides in last 6 weeks (new tt motor and LPS, quieter and more colourful preamp tubes) that outperform the previous 4 years. And my sound 4 years ago in the new space fully trumps my previous almost two decades evolution, just the room itself being the only variable.
The Möbius Loop now has an exit.

Reactions: Tango
Good to see you're also on a learning curve, even w such a stellar gear cast list.
In my own little way, I'm getting "there" as well. I've made massive strides in last 6 weeks (new tt motor and LPS, quieter and more colourful preamp tubes) that outperform the previous 4 years. And my sound 4 years ago in the new space fully trumps my previous almost two decades evolution, just the room itself being the only variable.
The Möbius Loop now has an exit.
When do we get to hear some videos from your system?

I like this presentation a lot actually:)

Reactions: Lagonda
@tima , Can you be so kind and steer me in the right direction on which one to choose first?
I’ve heard it many times before, but never delved deeper .. No favorite yet..
Thank you, Happy New Year !
mike
E1CAFD0F-4985-4AF8-B727-B490E3239D7B.jpeg
548F2BEC-7B20-422D-95E8-520EAEA60F27.jpeg

Can you be so kind and steer me in the right direction on which one to choose first?

Great zot that's a lot. I suppose those are track listings. I looked at conductor names to see if I recognized any. Only some include conductor names, those along with orchestras are what I look at when faced with many choices and uncertainty on what to choose. Nothing in your list stood out.

Can't say I'm an expert on Rimsky-Korsakov but Scheherazade is widely loved. It is frequently used or referenced at WBF with several videos posted. I'm gonna guess that I see the Reiner with Chicago Symphony version (LSC-2446) more often here than others. It is an excellent recording, one of the best RCAs. That's the one I imprinted on years ago. And the ones I know are on vinyl.

Ansermet with the Swiss that @dctom posted above sounds interesting. @PeterA plays Mehta with the LAPO (SXL 6731). I have the Reiner (several copies), von Karajan on DG (483 6397 ), Pavel Kogan with Moscow State Orch which is another Classic Records reissue on clear vinyl, and a few more in my back room stacks that I canna remember. The world of streaming is not my world - if you can find the Reiner that's my first choice.

Scheherazade is a favorite of @bonzo75, he may recognize something.

AAPC_2446__91339__10152013102627-9912.jpg

Okay stop the presses ... the listing on your screen tricked me suggesting the conductor is Sergei Levitin (?) But the Kirov made me pause. I think that's actually Valery Gergiev. I have not heard it but ... Gergiev is Russian and competent if not great on some works and that's his orchestra. If it is he, then try that and get back to us with impressions!

Does this picture match to what you see ?

R-1002398-1513714235-8177.jpeg.jpg

@tima , Can you be so kind and steer me in the right direction on which one to choose first?
mike
View attachment 73187
View attachment 73188

The one with Fritz Reiner living stereo is a very good reissued recording and a very good performance and everyone can access it to use it as a standard. The Thomas Beecham I like a lot though I prefer the Reiner from a system evaluation perspective.

Apart from being a very enjoyable piece I like it for evaluation because the start of the second movement plays through many instruments softly, individually before getting to the trombones and the fourth movement is an all out assault so you can test different aspects. The digital recording is a bit spiky but still enjoyable

Reactions: Mikem53
Valery Gergiev, I watched him perform it with the Mariinsky orchestra. Awesome performance

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing