Zero Distortion: Tango Time

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
Wow the joy on that girls face and her technique........

That joy is what exactly the music and our hobby is really and truly about.

I do not need a grounding device and a platinum USB charging cable for my IPad to feel and share her emotion while watching the YouTube video

Last edited:

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
Sorry, just can not NOT share this... I need to find a way to connect YouTube to my Gamma ...

The opening is Sviridov - a fairly unknown Russian composer - “Time! Push on!/Forward!”

I highly recommend to get a nice recording - it is incredibly energizing

Last edited:
Reactions: gestalt

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
Do @audioquattr and Vlad have the same experience with their bass horns?

Hi, Bonzo!

The nice thing about Ralph’s horns and the bass amplifiers is that you are free to adjust crossover point, filter slope, phase and level in a fairly wide range. As I listen to a wide variety of music, including rock and electronic I have my crossover point set on the higher side - i.e.at 115 Hz - and at this point you can hear the bass horns playing if you turn off the main towers.

For purely classical music I think I would have followed Tang and set the crossover to a lower frequency which would indeed just provide the fundamental tone/ambience but should generally be inaudible otherwise.

Phase adjustment does make a difference for mid and high-frequencies clarity - I switched the bass horns to -90 phase as the bass speakers (not the horn mouth, specifically the TAD speakers inside the horns) are roughly 1 meter behind the mid-bass horn speaker in the main tower in my case.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
my subhorns are lopassed steeply at 75hz below the natural rolloff of the midbasshorns
the contribution before the HV of my 300B amps are kicking in is definitely present but not overly so
however I can clearly hear the fantastic differentiation of the bass harmonics
also my system became more complete when replacing custom BR bass towers with horns
some people preferred the BRs for sheer ompf factor, but the horns are by far more correct and better integrated, with less midbass influence/coloration

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, Bonzo!

The nice thing about Ralph’s horns and the bass amplifiers is that you are free to adjust crossover point, filter slope, phase and level in a fairly wide range. As I listen to a wide variety of music, including rock and electronic I have my crossover point set on the higher side - i.e.at 115 Hz - and at this point you can hear the bass horns playing if you turn off the main towers.

For purely classical music I think I would have followed Tang and set the crossover to a lower frequency which would indeed just provide the fundamental tone/ambience but should generally be inaudible otherwise.

Phase adjustment does make a difference for mid and high-frequencies clarity - I switched the bass horns to -90 phase as the bass speakers (not the horn mouth, specifically the TAD speakers inside the horns) are roughly 1 meter behind the mid-bass horn speaker in the main tower in my case.

If you have at 115, at what point do you stop hearing them if you turned it downwards?

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
If you have at 115, at what point do you stop hearing them if you turned it downwards?

I have not pursued that objective as it clearly depends on music material.

You do not really want to lose the impact/punch of 4x16 inch TAD bass speakers in a horn too early if you like a bit of rock-n-roll in your house))

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@VladB. Do you do server or disk drive mostly on digital. Can you describe your digital front.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi, Bonzo!

The nice thing about Ralph’s horns and the bass amplifiers is that you are free to adjust crossover point, filter slope, phase and level in a fairly wide range. As I listen to a wide variety of music, including rock and electronic I have my crossover point set on the higher side - i.e.at 115 Hz - .

Good point. Flexibility is a plus side of the Cessaro. I do adjust the xover point higher when listening to Brit pop and electronica too. I regularly went to clubs in the 80's so I have many LP's of club music back then. Two days ago I played Robert Palmer Power Station Some Like It Hot. The electronic drum blast at the beginning of the song freakin shocked me like I was no longer in my office but a night club. Made me think I should really have a few motor show girls on those bass horns some day dancing this song. (Lagonda, Shane and the rest of the gang pls dont add further comments on this.)

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
@VladB. Do you do server or disk drive mostly on digital. Can you describe your digital front.

I have an Esoteric K1 + Esoteric atomic clock in the Gamma system. K1 upconverts everything to DSD, DSD DF off, and the clock is set to 10 MHz. I use physical media only - CDs and SACDs.

There might be a point in time when I introduce a network renderer into the system to use the high-res streaming services, but I see no point in keeping a file collection on a home server with all the relevant IT-maintenance/archive backup/connection issues while you can still buy the CDs or LPs and put them on a sturdy wooden shelf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My 5yr old came to my room and told me to play his favorite. Duke's Satin Doll. Mr.T the Thai who has both WAMM Master Cro and Living Voice gave me this popular audiophile d2d album. Sonically it is superb. Can you guys name 5 jazz albums that I must have.

20200623_141914.jpg

Reactions: VladB
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
thats a show off demo album imo
my off hand recommendations:
Julian Cannonball Adderley: Something Else
Count Basie and Dizzy Gillespie: The gifted ones
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby or the one together with Monica Zetterlund same album title
Ben Webster: Soulville
6: :cool: Art Pepper: Meets The Rhytm Section......very cool and outstanding recording , even though ping pong stereo, very typical at that time..late 50s

if you get them on tape even better...I have them...worth the extra cost on R2R

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
off the top of my head......

Ben Webster, 'Live at the Renaissance'
The Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet, Voodoo (a little hair shirt.....and hard to find an original pressing)
Art Blakey, 'Moanin'
Thelonious Monk, 'Monk's Music'
Dexter Gordon, 'One Flight Up'

anything by, Bill Evans, 'with' Lee Morgan, or 'with' Coleman Hawkins is a no brainer. got to have some Count Basie Pablo's.

a nice Jazz album i just got that was recorded to, and mastered from, tape......fantastic piano and horn sound. anyone who thinks digital can do dynamics needs to listen to this and find me a digital match. i don't have one.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/125556/Ferit_Odman-Dameronia_With_Strings-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
off the top of my head......

Ben Webster, 'Live at the Renaissance'
The Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet, Voodoo (a little hair shirt.....and hard to find an original pressing)
Art Blakey, 'Moanin'
Thelonious Monk, 'Monk's Music'
Dexter Gordon, 'One Flight Up'

anything by, Bill Evans, 'with' Lee Morgan, or 'with' Coleman Hawkins is a no brainer. got to have some Count Basie Pablo's.

a nice Jazz album i just got that was recorded to, and mastered from, tape......fantastic piano and horn sound. anyone who thinks digital can do dynamics needs to listen to this and find me a digital match. i don't have one.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/125556/Ferit_Odman-Dameronia_With_Strings-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Happy to see Ferit's album being recommended. It is a very nice recording with good arrangements and excellent playing.

If you allow me I would like to make some shameless promotion :) He is a dear friend and has played at my gathering with a trio, and was going to play with his quintet this year but it got postponed because of corona. We have recorded digitally last time but for the next one we are doing both 15ips analog tape and 352,8khz digital.

I wonder if people would be interested in a r2r edition of Dameronia with strings. He has the master tape. If enough people is commited, I can convince him for a limited run.

ps. Here are two photos, one with me checking the sound behind Ferit and one with the MBL speaker in between bass and drums in the background. We have lots of musicians play, we record them, listen back with them and also atendees take back uncompressed recordings back home. The idea is to have an actual reference to judge your hifi. It is not a commerical event, it is invitation only and I limit it to 60 people and keep my whole hotel closed except for that 60 people for noise and related issues. We make recordings in the acoustically treated room, an amphitheater and at the bar on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea. There are also Professors talking about acoustics and a few demo systems. We do it on April. If fellow wbf members would like to join the next one, just let me know :)

Attachments

• IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • WP Ref 01-7 copy.jpg
    WP Ref 01-7 copy.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 14

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing