Zero Distortion: Tango Time

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
ps. Here are two photos, one with me checking the sound behind Ferit and one with the MBL speaker in between bass and drums in the background. We have lots of musicians play, we record them, listen back with them and also atendees take back uncompressed recordings back home. The idea is to have an actual reference to judge your hifi. It is not a commerical event, it is invitation only and I limit it to 60 people and keep my whole hotel closed except for that 60 people for noise and related issues. We make recordings in the acoustically treated room, an amphitheater and at the bar on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea. There are also Professors talking about acoustics and a few demo systems. We do it on April. If fellow wbf members would like to join the next one, just let me know :)

What a fantastic idea!
Imagine if this caught on? If folks who attended concerts/shows were able to have that particular recording, uncompressed, they'd get used to that freedom of compression, and would start questioning why all the commercial stuff sounds "different" (ie. compressed).
Congrats on the initiative!

cheers,
Alex

Reactions: Dentdog and kodomo

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I'm no Jazz aficionado but this is worth looking out if you've not come across her

Cecile McLorin Salvant - Womanchild form her Womanchild album which is lovely

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Happy to see Ferit's album being recommended. It is a very nice recording with good arrangements and excellent playing.

If you allow me I would like to make some shameless promotion :) He is a dear friend and has played at my gathering with a trio, and was going to play with his quintet this year but it got postponed because of corona. We have recorded digitally last time but for the next one we are doing both 15ips analog tape and 352,8khz digital.

I wonder if people would be interested in a r2r edition of Dameronia with strings. He has the master tape. If enough people is commited, I can convince him for a limited run. :)

first off, i want to give credit to jazdoc for the Ferit recommendation. and i bought the 3 album box set and had it shipped from Turkey. 2 of the albums it seems are digitally sourced, still very good sound.

https://www.discogs.com/Ferit-Odman-The-Vinyl-Collection-Box-Set/release/10084764

but the Dameronia recording is the most special so i linked that one. but the box set is overall very good.

sign me up for an RTR master dub of the Dameronia album. love Terell Stafford's trumpet too, great sound.

Reactions: kodomo

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thank you general, Nina has a special place in my heart, 'nuff said :)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
You are too kind, thank you.

VladB

Sep 14, 2015
My 5yr old came to my room and told me to play his favorite. Duke's Satin Doll. Mr.T the Thai who has both WAMM Master Cro and Living Voice gave me this popular audiophile d2d album. Sonically it is superb. Can you guys name 5 jazz albums that I must have.

If you like a bit of avant-garde/modern jazz, and not only the “Old Masters”, I highly recommend David Murray recordings on Soul Note/Black Saint label:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Murray_(saxophonist)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing