Zellaton Plural Evo

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have stated previously that to me the high frequencies contour is what typically differentiates a “natural” or vintage presentation from a modern or hi-fi presentation. So I’m curious, Al do you hear all the high frequencies resolution and detail that is typically rendered by most high-end system, in your everyday life or when listening to live unamplified acoustic music?

Carlos, I cannot speak for "most high-end systems", but I agree that an emphasis on high frequencies can sound unnatural. That is why, as this works for my own system, I have toed out my speakers, more or less entirely. For my particular system setup and room, this gives a more believable tonal balance to me, more in line with what I typically hear in unamplified live music. There can indeed be more "resolution" in the high frequencies when I toe in my speakers, but the system has now so much resolution in midrange and upper midrange that this hardly matters; it does not need "crutches" in that respect anymore. For example, I can still get tons of resolution of micro-timbral detail on solo violin or string quartet, or massed orchestral strings, even with toed out speakers.

I often hear lots of such detail, even more than at home, in unamplified live music too. In fact, what usually gets me in a live setting is that often (not always) I feel bombarded with detail -- in a good way.

Yet a lack of emphasis on high frequencies is not the same as an unnatural attenuation of high frequencies, as I hear in the Altec video. But again, I cannot speak for the Altec system itself, only for what I hear from the video, which may not be truthful to the tonal balance at all.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, it is possible that one shaves off the HFs, but it is also possible that the other enhances them.

I am not making either claim as a matter of objective fact. I am not saying that one shaves off the high frequencies or that the other enhances high frequencies.

I am saying only that people who prefer the sound of the Zellaton system likely would feel that the Atlec system shaves off high frequencies, and that people who prefer the sound of the Altec system likely would feel that the Zellaton system enhances high frequencies.

Reactions: hogen and MadFloyd

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I listened to all three videos before Myles took his down. I listened through a fairly neutral DAC and headphones which are a bit warm leaning. I mostly agree with Al. Although, I didn't think Myles' system was bright. It just sounded lean. Leanness can give you the illusion that a system is bright. "Tipped up" (by virtue of leanness) is fair to say. And Goldmund is like that IME. But to me, the treble quality itself in Myles system was fine. The Altec system, though, was indeed boring. It's a rock and roll system for people who don't like rock and roll. Flat, dense, and unengaging vintage sound. Girl with guitar might work on it though. It'd probably have a romantic sound and tug at your heartstrings. But treble rolloff is never a virtue, and that kind of color pollutes all music. Myles' system is closer to the sound I like than the Altec system. Neither were close enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I listened to all three videos before Myles took his down. I listened through a fairly neutral DAC and headphones which are a bit warm leaning. I mostly agree with Al. Although, I didn't think Myles' system was bright. It just sounded lean. Leanness can give you the illusion that a system is bright. "Tipped up" (by virtue of leanness) is fair to say. And Goldmund is like that IME. But to me, the treble quality itself in Myles system was fine. The Altec system, though, was indeed boring. It's a rock and roll system for people who don't like rock and roll. Flat, dense, and unengaging vintage sound. Girl with guitar might work on it though. It'd probably have a romantic sound and tug at your heartstrings. But treble rolloff is never a virtue, and that kind of color pollutes all music. Myles' system is closer to the sound I like than the Altec system. Neither were close enough.

Brian, I agree with your further analysis that spells out a few things better than mine.

Altec:
"It's a rock and roll system for people who don't like rock and roll."

Priceless.

But again, that's just the video. Would like to know if it sounds boring like that in person, with a similar tonal balance.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm hoping that "it's just a video" goes without saying. I can only comment on what I hear in the video. And Al, I'm sure your system rocks. More crunch and less syrup!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm hoping that "it's just a video" goes without saying. I can only comment on what I hear in the video. And Al, I'm sure your system rocks. More crunch and less syrup!

Brian, I hope so ;).

I like to hear an electric guitar sound aggressive and energetic when it should.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
When listening video comparison and write on forum, indicating the face character of each system is fair especially when two videos of the systems sound so drastically different my cleaning lady can hear. Just don't be dum to use playback device A to listen to one video and playback device B to listen the other video. No need to defend which is better cause that only will be debating personal preferences. I agree with Peter that when a person post the video of his it means that he pretty much accept that the sound from video is a 'sketch' of his system. Posting video makes no win for the poster. But if the posted video sounds interesting to some, it can be beneficial to explore further those equipment listed in the system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

Colt12

Aug 24, 2021
The Altec video was the best rock I ever heard in person outside the Zeppelin on Mike's system.
I’m curious about this Zeppelin on Mike’s system. Is there a video out there? Which speakers did he use?

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Today I had the pleasure of listening to Zellaton Plural Evo at a friend's home, they were connected to Nagra Classic monoblock's amp's and later to Nagra HD monoblock's amp's.

This is definitely one of the best "box" speakers i have ever heard, no "gimmick" speaker, no exotic box, drivers or tweeter, and yet the most refined, detail (layers over layers) and superb bass (first time i hear so many fine details from ported speakers).
the soundstage was large but not an artificial "bigger than needed" stage, and the voicing was so natural and effortless.

I can definitely understand the "fass" regarding those speakers, they are absolutely fabulous.

Last edited:

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This album was mastered on a pair of Zellaton Plural Evo's ;

Used equipment:

Micpre's: Merging Horus
Microphone cables by AudioQuest & Mogami
Speakers (mixing): TAD Compact Evolution, Zellaton Plural Evo
Poweramp: Moon 760A
Recording & mixing headphones: Hifiman HE1000se / Sennheiser HD800S
All power cables and power conditioners by AudioQuest.
High-frequency interfering field elimination system by Schnerzinger

Reactions: RdW

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks a lot for the link. It is a shame they only offer a full album. I'd be great if you could purchase individual songs.

Also, they offer FLAC and DSD256. Respect!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing