Zellaton Plural Evo

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Yes but I don't think any of them though feature the new Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier (I might be wrong) or Transparent Audio Gen 6 cabling.
Many thanks for the clarification Myles...didn't know you had the new Telos 300 and Gen 6 cables. Hopefully you will review both in the near future.

Reactions: MylesBAstor

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Hey Myles,

We met at the London Hifi show in 1998 (I think) when I took out a subscription to your ultimate audio mag (still waiting for a few issues :D).

I loved the short youtube vid where your cat climbs into the rack.

Interesting that the drivers don't look like typical Zellaton sandwich cones.

Cheers

David

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Zellaton, I used to listen to a combo of the Podszus-Görlich 15cm Full cone with a modified 28mm Scan Speak dome tweeter until I switched to full range units in infinite baffles.

Truly magical chassis, capable of a very organic sound and great imaging, but also capable of very harsh sounds if your filtering is off. They take great skill and attention to detail in order for them to reveal all of their merits.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Myles,

We met at the London Hifi show in 1998 (I think) when I took out a subscription to your ultimate audio mag (still waiting for a few issues :D).

I loved the short youtube vid where your cat climbs into the rack.

Interesting that the drivers don't look like typical Zellaton sandwich cones.

Cheers

David
Nice to hear from you David.. Geez that seems like another lifetime...

Yes my pics and videos are always getting photobombed by one to three cats.

They are the basic sandwich design save for a weave on top of the driver. Here's two closeup pics .

One other thing worth pointing out is that Frederik Caroe makes custom designed, proprietary Dueland caps just for these Zellaton drivers.

Attachments

• 10519 (1).jpeg
    10519 (1).jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 10520 (1).jpeg
    10520 (1).jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Zellaton, I used to listen to a combo of the Podszus-Görlich 13cm Full cone with a modified 28mm Scan Speak dome tweeter until I switched to full range units in infinite baffles.

Truly magical chassis, capable of a very organic sound and great imaging, but also capable of very harsh sounds if your filtering is off. They take great skill and attention to detail in order for them to reveal all of their merits.
Just to be technical. The Podusz-Gorlich driver is not a Zellaton driver. The P-G is Gorlich's (who is related to the original Zellaton inventor) take on the Zellaton driver that is popular among the DIY crowd. It was also used in the Ensemble speaker.

And another speaker that used a P-G driver.

Attachments

• 2726.jpeg
    2726.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I know, though the similarity is large...I met the maker, long time ago...

FWIW my information is in line with this:

"Is there anybody out there, who is enthusiastic in DIY and does not know the legendary loudspeakers with their characteristic Zellaton sandwich cones? Since Dr. Emil Podszus invented the rigid foam Zellaton back in 1935 this material is nearly unrivalled in the construction of loudspeakers. It combines very low mass with high rigidity which results in very low distortions. The drivers are carefully handcrafted and still belong to the best drivers worldwide."

Reactions: MylesBAstor

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK

"Is there anybody out there, who is enthusiastic in DIY and does not know the legendary loudspeakers with their characteristic Zellaton sandwich cones? Since Dr. Emil Podszus invented the rigid foam Zellaton back in 1935 this material is nearly unrivalled in the construction of loudspeakers. It combines very low mass with high rigidity which results in very low distortions. The drivers are carefully handcrafted and still belong to the best drivers worldwide."
Geez 86 yrs ago !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

This might clear things up a little.https://audioxpress.com/article/Q-A-An-Interview-with-Manuel-Podszus-ZELLATON

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thankyou for the pic Myles , exceedingly good ! What is your experience with having the ancillaries (bar the power amp) in the middle V to the side of the room ( especially the turntable ) Thankyou.
Sorry none. That’s really the only spot in the room for the rack.Of course, the advantage here is keeping the IC runs as short as possible and keeping costs down.

Can’t be too bad, though, given the sound. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Myles...great to hear from you! Congrats on the new system!!! Neither of us has CJ anymore! Wow...after 20 consecutive years! Look forward to reading more about your system and particularly how you came to the Zellaton and Goldmund pieces.

Have you heard CJ with Zellaton? I would have thought so as they are both carried together in NYC...curious as to how you think Goldmund and Zellaton compares with CJ and Zellaton. Not looking to ask you for 'better or worse'...but simply the differences between the 2. Thanks!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
One other thing worth pointing out is that Frederik Caroe makes custom designed, proprietary Dueland caps just for these Zellaton drivers.
What makes these custom-designed capacitors better suited to Zellaton drivers than ordinary capacitors?

Last edited:

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Miles- I was thinking my next step up from the Magico A5 would be a used M3 which would be in the same cost ballpark as the Zellaton Plural Evo. I would have guessed that moving up the Magico product line would have been the next step up from your S5 mk2 although at a higher price point. Any thoughts on the M3 vs your Zellaton?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Zellaton Plural Evos with Goldmund electronics, Fuuga on SAT arm

Altec 817 with Misho's 3.5 watt amp - the phono, pre, and amp cost 4k Euro each, direct. Garrard with no mods, and old SPU.

Altec video is taken further away at 6m with iphone 7.

The guitar that starts in the Altec at 2.5 minutes, on the zellaton is below

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks Bonzo. Interesting comparison with very different sounds.

I think the Zellaton system sounds very clean and separated, has a higher tonal balance, but compared to the horn system, it lacks some natural, organic feel and that "life" and energy. Drums are more hollow on the Altec. The Zellaton has black backgrounds, but it sounds a bit sterile to me. The bass quality is quite different too. Perhaps they are different masterings on the guitar solo. Rooms are also very different. Great music, IMO.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks Bonzo. Interesting comparison with very different sounds.

I think the Zellaton system sounds very clean and separated, has a higher tonal balance, but compared to the horn system, it lacks some natural, organic feel and that "life" and energy. Drums are more hollow on the Altec. The Zellaton has black backgrounds, but it sounds a bit sterile to me. The bass quality is quite different too. Perhaps they are different masterings on the guitar solo. Rooms are also very different. Great music, IMO.

Peter,

Why do you attribute the differences in the sound you are hearing to the system components, and not to the:

-- seemingly large difference in distance between the recording device and the speakers in the videos

-- different recording devices

-- different ADCs and DACs in the recording devices

-- different SPL levels at the recording devices

-- different room acoustics

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Why do you attribute the differences in the sound you are hearing to the system components, and not to the:

-- seemingly large difference in distance between the recording device and the speakers in the videos

I don’t attribute it to the components. That was just a quick reference to distinguish the two systems because of the description used to describe the two videos. Bonzo referred to the speakers by name so I am referring to the two systems in their room context by referring to the speaker names.

in fact I make specific reference to the different rooms and possible different masterings. In the end it doesn’t really matter what’s responsible for the differences. I’m just pointing out that the two videos sound very different from each other.

What do you think Ron? You heard Myles system presumably the way it is represented in this video. Do you think the video sounds anything like what you heard when you were actually there? I presume that Myles thinks it’s a good representation because he chose to post it in public.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
One can use any same state of the art recording device or simple mobile phone to record the two rooms in Bonzo's post, the difference in sound will be night and day anyhow.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Ron why don’t you ask these same exact questions any time on any thread to anyone who dares to comment on the differences between two system videos that are made with different devices in different rooms in different systems on different days in different countries.

None of that really matters. These are two very different systems, and I suspect most people would hear the systems' respective differences regardless of the differences you list. I suspect there are many people who can hear these differences and prefer either system to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing