Your lastest music purchases!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. On vinyl, pressed at RTI - one word awesome:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, John. Will you please let me know what your observations are with regards to the sound quality on the BJ "The Stranger" SACD?

I shall indeed Tom! I'm sans-SACD player at the moment, but we're having a get-together on the 12th and I'll be bringing them.

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. On vinyl, pressed at RTI - one word awesome:

I don't know how many times I've had that in my hands and put it back, in favour of something else. I think I need to rectify that.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I just got a near mint vinyl of Nicholas Maw's "The Voice of Love" and "La Vita Nuova" on Chandos label. The sonics are incredible.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Shins "Port of Morrow"

Leonard Cohen "Live In Fredericton"

Portland Cello Project "Homage"

Jack White "Blunderbuss"

Heartless Bastards "Arrow"

Winterpills "All My Lovely Goners"

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bought the 45RPM Fleetwood Mac on my way to a get together last Saturday, and made a trade for the Dire Straits and the Brubeck.

003..JPG
002..JPG
001..JPG

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I've picked up most of The Band's catalog in the last couple of months. I like them fine back in the day, but I only had a couple of their albums on vinyl. This time around, I get it like I never got it before. These guys were brilliant. Excellent musicianship. Wonderful arrangements. Passion. Even the image they cultivated, which was sort of a 19th century mojo without any of the technical limitations worked perfectly. I now like them a lot better than most of what I was listening to in the 70s.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've picked up most of The Band's catalog in the last couple of months. I like them fine back in the day, but I only had a couple of their albums on vinyl. This time around, I get it like I never got it before. These guys were brilliant. Excellent musicianship. Wonderful arrangements. Passion. Even the image they cultivated, which was sort of a 19th century mojo without any of the technical limitations worked perfectly. I now like them a lot better than most of what I was listening to in the 70s.

Tim

I hear ya Tim! It wasn't until a few years ago that I got back into truly listening to them and appreciating the rawness of their compositions and sound. I'm kind of in the same vein with CCR at the moment.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Just my guess that you won't find as much to consistently enjoy in the CCR catalog as in The Band's. :cool: I do have all of each, though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just my guess that you won't find as much to consistently enjoy in the CCR catalog as in The Band's. :cool: I do have all of each, though.

I agree.....still it's a wonderful "new" journey to rediscover.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have the big CCR Anthology on the HD. It's good stuff, but it lacks the nuance of The Band's material. It is hard to get to, because it sounds so elemental, but it's not. A lot of their material is pretty complex. My band just went through the (long) exercise of creating and learning an arrangement of King Harvest (Will Surely Come). The temptation to dumb it down was strong, because it is not an easy song. It took a long time to get through it, but now it's one of our best tunes.

The other thing The Band did that is hard to wrap your head around, but very cool, is build harmony parts that were sung like two lead parts. The second vocalist made no attempt to "blend" with the lead. Instead, he sang the second part with as much character and ornamentation as the melody. This is against the "rules." The second part shoud be sung simply. Some backup singers even soften attack and let the ends of lines drop a bit early to allow the lead vocal room for all the character acting without getting in the way. The Band didn't do much of that. Particularly not on two-part harmonies. They sounded like two lead vocalists going at the same time. And they made it work. A remarkable ensemble in so many ways.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, John. Will you please let me know what your observations are with regards to the sound quality on the BJ "The Stranger" SACD?

John said:
I shall indeed Tom! I'm sans-SACD player at the moment, but we're having a get-together on the 12th and I'll be bringing them.
Hello once again, John. Were you ever able to give this one a spin?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello once again, John. Were you ever able to give this one a spin?

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately we stuck to vinyl the entire afternoon, although I did bring both BJ discs. We normally also watch some demo Blu-ray material, but never got around to that either.

We did do a rudimentary comparison of Alan Parsons' I, Robot on MOFI and CLASSIC. You could call it a simple blind test as only I knew what was being played. Votes were 2 each, so no clear conclusion. I prefer the CLASSIC reissue, so that would have made it 3-2 in favour of said release, which really only says they are both very good and have an equal appeal.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Well, thanks anyway John. There is nothing wrong with sticking to vinyl for the afternoon. Nope, nothing at all. ;)

:)

mdabb

Jul 10, 2010
N.E. Ohio
Picked up a few records today !

David Crosby - If I could only remember my name (1st pressing with textured cover & drum sticks in the deadwax)

Blind Faith - self titled (GF nude cover UK Polydor 1st pressing)

The Beatles - 1967/1970 (German Pressing Apple/Electrola)

Cat Stevens - Tea for the tillerman (GF German pressing)

Freddie King - Rockin the blues live (German pressing)

Falco - 3 (sealed) had to listen to "Rock me amadeus" LOL

Paul Simon - Graceland (promo)

Cyndi Lauper She's so unusual (promo - Sterling)

A very special Christmas (sealed)

The Archies - Self titled

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Delta Blues ( Arhoolie 1st pressing)

Charley Patton - Electrically recorded: Prayer of death (Italian Monk label)

Junior Wells/Buddy Guy - Hoodoo Man Blues (Delmark 1st stereo pressing)

Bo Carter - Banana in your fruit basket: red hot blues 1931-36 (Yazoo Brown Peacock label)

Blind Willie Johnson - Praise God I'm Satisfied (Yazoo Brown Peacock label)

Snatch & The Poontangs - For adults only (Kent label) it's aldult comedy/blues music by: Delmar "Mighty Mouth" Evans, Johnny Otis & Shuggie Otis

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (Future Disc promo)

Little Jimmy Rushing and the big brass - Jimmy Rushing & his orchestra (Columbia six eye mono)

The Cats - Tommy Flanagan, John Coltrane, Kenny Burell, Idrees Sulieman (New Jazz 8217) (OJC purple label)

Lord Creator - Pepper Pot Calypso Songs Me Mama Never Taught Me (Calla label promo)

The Mighty Sparrow - At His Best vol.1 (Jamaica or Barbados pressing - Hilary label)

Now I have some cleaning to do, well at least a few....

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing