Your Favorite Japanese Audio Equipment?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
So many brands, so many truly State of the Art components.

What Japanese brands and components are your personal contenders for best of the best?

Kerry

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Y/S amplifiers. The only SS brand I would ever consider.

Reactions: fizzletop

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Horns and compression drivers made by YL Acoustics (Yoshimura Labs).

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: mtemur

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For electronics:
- I have been living happily with Zanden (14 years) and Robert Koda (1 year) after hearing many other excellent options, American, Japanese, European.
- I have spent time with but never owned Kondo (Japan), Shindo and TAD but found much to like in each.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
the best phonostage I know:

Phasemation EA-2000

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
TAD. See my sig below. This is heaven for me.

Reactions: tom539 and Amir

deardorff8x10

May 27, 2022
I love my Miyajima and My Sonic Lab cartridges. I think the Japanese make a wonderful range of great cartridges.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
MacTone-by far the most pleasing Integrated I've owned since one of my first forays into Audio (circa1960!)when I "knocked" together a Heathkit DIY Amp:cool:
The Mac brand flies under the Radar, but much admired by Living Voice UK and good to see Living Stereo in NY taking up the product.
As an aside, compared in house a much lauded -and excellent Shindo product to the MacTone.
The Mac was superior;)
BruceD

Reactions: paolo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: andromedaaudio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
:)
Do yourself a favour get the Rockport Lyras as well
Well...once again we agree on Rockport being a phenomenal speaker designer. Long been a fan of the Arrakis as my favorite speaker of all time...I have had 2 opportunities in the past to get it...the first a passive from 10+ years ago which was a great option but someone grabbed it first...and then more recently (2 years ago)...but it was the full active version (which requires 2 sets of cables, 2 sets of interconnects and 2 sets of amps)...and which then also became too much of both a financial and logistical commitment including literally reopening up the floors to get the additional cable into a wider conduit.

The reason I spoke with Rockport about Lyra and custom-designed dual subs was expressly for that consideration. Lyra is ther new flagship, superior according to some in certain ways to the Arrakis, though not in all-out scale which made subs an interesting option to open up the scale of the presentation.

At the time there was pretty much no representation that could enable an audition let along full-on support and service...let alone the custom-design of the subs. So it came off the list. The neck and neck race for me was the XLF which was available, fully supported and available also in as new condition from the factory having been traded in by Transparent Audio when they moved up to the XVX. And so here we are...and I consider myself blessed to be in such a position. (And yes, the future upgrade of the Velodyne DD18+ still remains in the near to medium term plan!)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I d think the Lyra would be a step up from a second hand arrakis , probably not scale wise but a bit more refinement/ definition non the less
I dont see the arrakis mentioned on the site anymore anyway.

Plus with a Lyra you dont need to bi amp i assume ,which can get kinda costly with R KODA

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing