Wilson Benesch TORUS

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I usually use a Black Rhodium cable with them, but tried a set of Shunyata Alpha's and gave a noticeable improvement, but at a cost.

Mabutu

Mar 20, 2019
ive had the Torus for about 5 years or so

from memory it is A 200 watt amp that comes with the controller

it appears to be a class ab amp

i have my parametric equaliser set to roll off everything below 20hz because I wonder if 200 watts class ab is enough for loud bombastic bass in movies

was toying with the idea of using an external Sub crossover and a powerful class D amp. After all it’s an 18 inch cone and I think when the Torus was designed there weren’t many good class D designs as there are now

the little red box on the top is from a German company called SPL audio

it is an all analog crossover that allows you to integrate any passive sub for both 2 channel use and home theatre use

13DE2624-CF92-44A9-BB5B-3AC56575AC4B.jpeg
One could then connect this crossover to a 1000 watt Class d amp and or any amp of your choosing .

SPL isn’t available for demo in my country but I’m curious if one day the well heeled could experiment to see what level this could take the Torus too.

Just a thought

the Torus controller has binding posts placed very close together and with a round nut makes it a pain to tighten . My spades kept falling out . Replaced the posts and put the new ones further apart
9D29FDF8-99F1-42F7-9D25-E644D828EBCC.jpeg

079CB8B8-7383-4B47-8EDE-BBCAACC1D28C.jpeg

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I finally spent a wet weekend playing with my Torus amps. Yesterday was trying a few different settings with the Torus amps, whilst today was spent with miniDSP. Both measured via REW.

The Saturday session was switching the Torus from one per channel but with the same frequency response to running both mono (i.e. left and right channels combined) but with different cross-over points. The benefit of this is that each Torus operates in a narrower frequency range and is therefore an easier amp load. I also raised the cutoff for the Torus running higher frequencies to ease the bass loading on the main speakers. This was an improvement and got some real impact into the bass, but REW showed it was still pretty lumpy.

Today's session was my first using a miniDSP into a pair of Ghent 500W class-D mono blocs so was a pretty steep learning curve, including a few dead-ends. I've reverted to running the Torus as a stereo pair again to make things easier, and in the end got a much flatter curve than I was able to with the Torus amps. Next stage will be to try in mono again, and to allow REW to create a set of filters via AutoEQ.

It certainly adds complexity to the system but is worthwhile I think.

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
I think I just shorted my Torus subwoofer amp. No big bangs on the woofers itself, but I can hear a 10 second cyclical "pop" (roughly every 10 seconds) on the subwoofer. So I disconnected the speaker-cables between the Torus amp and the Torus subwoofer.

The amps can still be switched on and off, and the blue displays still come on, so I think the fuse is OK. After switching on, the cyclical pops continue.

Any advice will be appreciated. :(

Last edited:

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I think I just shorted my Torus subwoofer amp. No big bangs on the woofers itself, but I can hear a 10 second cyclical "pop" (roughly every 10 seconds) on the subwoofer. So I disconnected the speaker-cables between the Torus amp and the Torus subwoofer.

The amps can still be switched on and off, and the blue displays still come on, so I thing the fuse is OK. After switching on, the cyclical pops continue.

Any advice will be appreciated. :(
Sounds like a capacitor in your sub amp/controller has gone bad.

• Wow
Reactions: Hamburger

Jake Purches

Jun 17, 2015
Hi everybody,

does anyone have experiences with Wilson Benesch TORUS ?
http://wilson-benesch.com/2010/06/torus/

How good is it to match with high end stereo loudspeakers ? (my question is only for a Stereo system ... not for Home Theater)

How does it sound / perfom VS REL subwoofers for example ( Gilbraltar G1 / G2) ?

Thanks

David
Yes - but its a speaker that benefits from a concrete floor as its reaction forces need something to work against. Forget it for suspended floors made of wood unless you want the entire floor to be a subwoofer..!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm running down-firing subs into a 150 yr old 50'x35' spring suspended floor, so I can imagine the issues w the Torus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing