Wilson Benesch TORUS

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi everybody,

does anyone have experiences with Wilson Benesch TORUS ?
http://wilson-benesch.com/2010/06/torus/

How good is it to match with high end stereo loudspeakers ? (my question is only for a Stereo system ... not for Home Theater)

How does it sound / perfom VS REL subwoofers for example ( Gilbraltar G1 / G2) ?

Thanks

David

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi everybody,

does anyone have experiences with Wilson Benesch TORUS ?
http://wilson-benesch.com/2010/06/torus/

How good is it to match with high end stereo loudspeakers ? (my question is only for a Stereo system ... not for Home Theater)

How does it sound / perfom VS REL subwoofers for example ( Gilbraltar G1 / G2) ?

Thanks

David

David,

The WB TORUS was reviewed enthusiastically by Jonathan Valin in TheAbsoluteSound in issue 168. It was used to complement the original Magico Mini's. I have once listened to it in system using WB speakers, but the system was not properly set, and I could not appreciate it. See:

http://www.avguide.com/forums/magico-minis-and-the-wilson-benesch-torus

I remember it was also reviewed by some european magazines that liked it a lot - but at that time it was really expensive.

David

Aug 11, 2012
David,

The WB TORUS was reviewed enthusiastically by Jonathan Valin in TheAbsoluteSound in issue 168. It was used to complement the original Magico Mini's. I have once listened to it in system using WB speakers, but the system was not properly set, and I could not appreciate it. See:

http://www.avguide.com/forums/magico-minis-and-the-wilson-benesch-torus

I remember it was also reviewed by some european magazines that liked it a lot - but at that time it was really expensive.

Thanks.

Is there some WB Torus users to speak about it ?

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
I had the opportunity to listen to the Torus at an event at Audio Concept store in Stockholm (and feel) and the bass was incredible tight and exceptionally well integraded with the floor speakers (also WB). Below are some picture threads from the event when Craig Milne demonstrated (constructor and founder of WB) the Torus. IMHO, the WB Curve with Torus was not far from the big Focal Utopias performance.

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=7210

http://www.component.se/docs.php?id=75

WilsonBDemoAC0787.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Copy - both from yhe manufacturer and the featured reviewers, is vague. What is it? It is evidently not a sub woofer.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have only read good things on the Torus, but never heard it except at a local audio shop for a brief moment.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

David

Aug 11, 2012
I had the opportunity to listen to the Torus at an event at Audio Concept store in Stockholm (and feel) and the bass was incredible tight and exceptionally well integraded with the floor speakers (also WB). Below are some picture threads from the event when Craig Milne demonstrated (constructor and founder of WB) the Torus. IMHO, the WB Curve with Torus was not far from the big Focal Utopias performance.

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/forums/index.php?showtopic=7210

http://www.component.se/docs.php?id=75

View attachment 5740

thanks MasterChief (and everybody for other answers)

it seems on your second link the Torus amplifier / crossover is connected using "high level input" (with neutrik) ... i'm wrong ?
it seems on the Torus manual it is the advised method for a music / stereo system ... someone can confirm ?

just to be sure I understand well :
to use this method with "high level" input, I have to :
1) connect loudspeakers directly from right + left speakers terminals of an integrated or power amplifier (with my actual speaker cable)
+
2) connect "high level input" (neutrik) of the Torus amplifier / crossover directlty to a second pair of speaker terminal on the back of the integrated amplifier or power amplifier ... if the integrated or power amplifier have 2 pair of speaker terminal for biwire using (?)
+
3) connect the Torus subwoofer directly to the speaker output terminals of the Torus amplifier / crossover

that's it ?

so on the back of the integrated or power amplifier, it is as if it was a classical biwire ?

other questions :
> For the connection n°3 : do you think the cable must be the same speaker-cable as the one that is used for amplifier => loudspeakers connection ?
> and what about the Neutrick cable for connection n°2 ? (Wilson Benesch give a cable for this connection ? or a special cable must be ordered ? )

Thanks

David

David

Aug 11, 2012
Does someone had opportunity to compare a WB Torus with a REL Gibraltar G1 or G2 ... on the same system ? with "high level input" in each case ?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know one guy who owns a pretty SOTA system in the main room...Wavac PRT-1/833 MkII, Gryphon Poseidens, Accuphase digital, Continuum turntable, etc. Last time, his other system was Magico Minis with Torus sub, and he said its an awesome combo.

Stigmater

Apr 14, 2015
As a new user to Torus Infrasonic Generator that i just received from Wilson Benesch i wanted to alive this thread a little bit.
Surprisingly there is not much forums that discussing this sub, even though its not a new product its still the best sub for music, correct me if im wrong.
i tried before to combine sub in to my stereo system, i used JL Audio f13 but the experience was not so great, you feel and hear that sub added and i didn't liked it at all.
Since i own WB speakers [Resolution] i went for Torus sub (one for now with option to add second), right now i trying different combinations and placement to blend it in to the system , im doing good but not 100% happy with the result yet.

If you have Torus Infrasonic Generator maybe you can share your knowledge and give me some tips that not written in the manual.
Thanks

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen
Many times from Italian distributor
I like a lot because extend the bass of speaker without dirty the mid bass and is very coherent with speaker
The only sub I liked until now except Krell Master Reference I had 10 years ago but has a very high price

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
As a new user to Torus Infrasonic Generator that i just received from Wilson Benesch i wanted to alive this thread a little bit.
Surprisingly there is not much forums that discussing this sub, even though its not a new product its still the best sub for music, correct me if im wrong.
i tried before to combine sub in to my stereo system, i used JL Audio f13 but the experience was not so great, you feel and hear that sub added and i didn't liked it at all.
Since i own WB speakers [Resolution] i went for Torus sub (one for now with option to add second), right now i trying different combinations and placement to blend it in to the system , im doing good but not 100% happy with the result yet.

If you have Torus Infrasonic Generator maybe you can share your knowledge and give me some tips that not written in the manual.
Thanks
I am planning to purchase the Torus but I am a little hesitant due to the lack of any kind of evolution to this sub. It has been in the market since 2006 and not sure why WB did not work on an updated version so far.
What you are not completely happy with it?

Regarding the connection method, I noticed that it has only one balanced input. My integrated amp has 2 balanced pre outputs (left and right). How I will be able to connect it? I don't want to use the speakers terminal on my amp because it is a Digital amp. My amp manufacturer recommends only using the analog pre amp outputs for subwoofers.

Other question, have you ever noticed any difference with 2 subs vs 1 sub only?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I run a pair of Torus with my Resolutions, and apart from the extra floor space they take up, I'm really happy with them. I have experience of other subs in AV settings, but not in 2-channel so can't comment on comparisons.

As well as allowing deeper bass, and some tunability of this to the room acoustics, the other main benefit is giving a greater soundstage (wider and with greater air). This was a big surprise to me (and very pleasant) as I'd not expected this, but is clearly identifiable.

With respect to 2 vs 1 - when I tried a single sub with the Endeavor stand-mount speakers, I could hear the hand-off and found it really distracting. If you run floor-standers and therefore a lower cross-over frequency to the sub this might disappear, but I decided on the pair as I had a great offer.

With regard to connections, I run mine from the speaker outputs as this is the recommended method from WB as you get exactly the same signal as the speakers are getting. If you can't run it this way, I'd speak to Luke at WB to see what he would recommend.

With regard to developing the Torus, there has been some talk of this. Personally it would be great to have an easy set-up methodology, and an app to adjust on the fly. I'd also like a smaller amp box. None of this would impact the sonics, which given the simple design, I can't see the need to change much.

Reactions: Bodhi

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
I run a pair of Torus with my Resolutions, and apart from the extra floor space they take up, I'm really happy with them. I have experience of other subs in AV settings, but not in 2-channel so can't comment on comparisons.

As well as allowing deeper bass, and some tunability of this to the room acoustics, the other main benefit is giving a greater soundstage (wider and with greater air). This was a big surprise to me (and very pleasant) as I'd not expected this, but is clearly identifiable.

With respect to 2 vs 1 - when I tried a single sub with the Endeavor stand-mount speakers, I could hear the hand-off and found it really distracting. If you run floor-standers and therefore a lower cross-over frequency to the sub this might disappear, but I decided on the pair as I had a great offer.

With regard to connections, I run mine from the speaker outputs as this is the recommended method from WB as you get exactly the same signal as the speakers are getting. If you can't run it this way, I'd speak to Luke at WB to see what he would recommend.

With regard to developing the Torus, there has been some talk of this. Personally it would be great to have an easy set-up methodology, and an app to adjust on the fly. I'd also like a smaller amp box. None of this would impact the sonics, which given the simple design, I can't see the need to change much.
I assume the you run the Resolution full range and the Torus at low crossover value? Which frequency you set the crossover?
Also what about position? Do you place them in corners or next to the Resolutions? Directly on floor or on a platform?

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017

Thanks
Getting a pair of Torus so soon!
But feel extremely nervous that I bought a 13 years old technology (released in 2006). I always panic when I think that they might realize a new Torus soon.

Can you share with us the position, crossover settings, platforms under the Torus...etc. Pics would be great too!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I run the Resolutions with -2db on the bass, but this is more to do with fitting in with the room than sub integration. I can't remember my Torus settings as my hifi is currently packed away due to some house changes, but will check this weekend. They are placed just outside the speakers, as recommended by WB.

I have experimented with speaker cable and it makes a difference, but not to the degree it does on full-range speakers.

My next experiment is to run the subs using mini-DSP and some class-D amps, as I'm hoping this gives better ability to match the subs.

Reactions: Sonic Guild

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
I run the Resolutions with -2db on the bass, but this is more to do with fitting in with the room than sub integration. I can't remember my Torus settings as my hifi is currently packed away due to some house changes, but will check this weekend. They are placed just outside the speakers, as recommended by WB.

I have experimented with speaker cable and it makes a difference, but not to the degree it does on full-range speakers.

My next experiment is to run the subs using mini-DSP and some class-D amps, as I'm hoping this gives better ability to match the subs.
Thanks!
Can you share with us the cables that you tried with the Torus?

Regarding the clad D amp, I ordered a clad D amp (one box) to power both the Torus and I will use an external crossover (built in in the amp). Will report back with results, but will take me time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing