Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I had a few friends over to listen to music today. One of them said: "a friend's son is very good at improvising jazz".

My reply: "I don't think I can tell the difference between improvised and non-improvised jazz. It all sounds random to me, like a Jackson Pollock painting".

So yeah, you can count me as someone who doesn't like jazz. Wouldn't go so far as "hating" it though. "Hate" is reserved for things like Hitler, murderers, tyrants, religious extremists, smelly socks, filthy toilets, karaoke, and cats.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am reminded of poetry class. Most teachers require their students to learn rhyme before venturing into blank verse. Improvisational jazz is probably not the place for the casual fan.
I think you meant "good at improvisational jazz" What you said implies he is a composer.
It is of little consequence that any one person does not care for jazz. Just as it does not really matter that I am a causal fan of classical. I limit myself to things like Scherazade and 1812 Overture. I particularly like the "classical" adaption of Call Me Maybe. Given my choice I like the full orchestra/choir, and organ recordings.

P.S. Love the Cary/Acapella

Reactions: Keith_W

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I can understand how some people can have an aversion to whatever examples/types of "jazz" they had heard. I myself can not abide "Be Bop" jazz. Same improvisational if all they do is randomly hit notes in a particular key without rhyme or reason. However, during the period when Big Band was drifting into New Jazz (I hope I got that correct :oops:) as when people like Duke Ellington, and his saxophonist Johnny Hodges started developing melodies with a jazzy but mellow character I became a fan. Later jazz fusion works by Al DeMeola, Grover Washington Jr, Stan Getz and a host of others, I became absolutely enamoured, but only in that type of jazz. I like the recognisable mellow tunes, played with outstanding musicianship combined with the full organic tones of the instruments from vinyl through SET valves.

Reactions: Solypsa

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Its because you’re listening to the sounds — real jazz lovers listen for the notes that aren’t played :p

Personally, I absolutely love hearing a piece of music in a genre I am unfamiliar with that moves me. I try to be very open minded about music, but I know discordant, free form styles absent melody (or where i have to “work” to find it) don’t appeal to me. Both jazz and classical have moved me deeply on occasion, other times they’ve moved me to find something else to listen to — in a hurry. (Honestly, I could say the same about all genres.)

Maybe someone can tell me why I hate harpsichord so much. :mad:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Its because you’re listening to the sounds — real jazz lovers listen for the notes that aren’t played :p

Personally, I absolutely love hearing a piece of music in a genre I am unfamiliar with that moves me. I try to be very open minded about music, but I know discordant, free form styles absent melody (or where i have to “work” to find it) don’t appeal to me. Both jazz and classical have moved me deeply on occasion, other times they’ve moved me to find something else to listen to — in a hurry. (Honestly, I could say the same about all genres.)

Maybe someone can tell me why I hate harpsichord so much. :mad:
Jazz (like wine) is an acquired taste for many people and love at first hearing (tasting) for some. I think this is true for other forms of music as well. Growing up listening to uncles and parents play jazz records I loved it even as a child. However despite my schoolteacher mother's attempts to expose me to all types of music, I never developed an appreciation for opera and am lukewarm about musicals. I do like individual arias and show tunes. So I could easily ask on this forum "Why do I hate opera"? But I wouldn't because it is a matter of my personal taste and not something to ask others about.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Jazz (like wine) is an acquired taste for many people and love at first hearing (tasting) for some. I think this is true for other forms of music as well. Growing up listening to uncles and parents play jazz records I loved it even as a child. However despite my schoolteacher mother's attempts to expose me to all types of music, I never developed an appreciation for opera and am lukewarm about musicals. I do like individual arias and show tunes. So I could easily ask on this forum "Why do I hate opera"? But I wouldn't because it is a matter of my personal taste and not something to ask others about.
Maybe in that case the more precise question would be - "what is there to hate in opera"? :)
Yes I have. My list for Hard Rock was a little ill informed. ;) But it is not to worry. It was augmented by the members.
it is noteworthy that Kind of Blue is a top seller worldwide. Despite his venture into fusion few would call it light jazz.
True, I don't think I can come up with an album with such popularity to it. Maybe you'd like to post your other lists here? I'm sure there's something new to learn out there. :D

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Maybe in that case the more precise question would be - "what is there to hate in opera"? :)

True, I don't think I can come up with an album with such popularity to it. Maybe you'd like to post your other lists here? I'm sure there's something new to learn out there. :D
Not sure "precision" is relevant to musical tastes. It has from childhood felt fundamentally silly to me for people to be singing to each other in lieu of speaking, and I typically have a negtive gut reaction to vocal vibrato, for example. A great performance of a beautiful aria or show tune rises above this feeling, and I will listen to them as individual cuts while skipping the rest of the recording. But the "filler" sung dialogue between great arias/show tunes I find boring, even though it is part of the story. There have been a few exceptions (both live and recorded) where so much of the singing was compelling that I enjoyed the whole performance. Generally don't like rock, folk, or country-western music. I listen mostly to jazz, blues, Latin, R&B, reggae, and a little classical. That's my taste in music, and I can understand someone just not liking jazz.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Not sure "precision" is relevant to musical tastes. It has from childhood felt fundamentally silly to me for people to be singing to each other in lieu of speaking, and I typically have a negtive gut reaction to vocal vibrato, for example. A great performance of a beautiful aria or show tune rises above this feeling, and I will listen to them as individual cuts while skipping the rest of the recording. But the "filler" sung dialogue between great arias/show tunes I find boring, even though it is part of the story. There have been a few exceptions (both live and recorded) where so much of the singing was compelling that I enjoyed the whole performance. Generally don't like rock, folk, or country-western music. I listen mostly to jazz, blues, Latin, R&B, reggae, and a little classical. That's my taste in music, and I can understand someone just not liking jazz.
What would you list as those exceptions, opera-wise? For the same reason you dislike opera, I'm not fond of musicals. I've seen maybe two movies of this kind that I've enjoyed...

Greg, some new positions have been added to my streaming catalog... :)

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
One last post on this topic...

Here is a video that some may find interesting, for the music, starting at 1:09:21 (cued in the link), but also the commentary given by 3 young musicians (starting at 1:13:15):

"Guests include pianist Sean Mason, trumpeter Bruce Harris, and saxophonist Ruben Fox, who share their thoughts about how these classic sounds from 1938 continue to resonate in today's music world."

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I disagree. No matter what the genre it ?as it fair share of haters. Indeed even lovers of the genre hate certain factors of segments of that genre.
I think part oof the problem has to do with the race of the creators and practitioneers of jazz. That is from a cultural perspective.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i am happy this thread prompted me to renew my love of jazz.

Reactions: Audire

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
All jazz is improvisational in that there is no script. There is a central theme for each tune all the musicians improvise on that. That is very far from free form Jazz which I do not like. Ornette Coleman comes immediately to mind. I am a huge jazz fan as that takes up most of my listening time, bit I draw the line on free form jazz.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is always an exception to every rule. :)
Rumor has it that Miles Davis "scripted" his music. Often recording the first take.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing