Which ultrasonic now that KLAudio is out?

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Reactions: howiebrou

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
tima the amount of records it handles at a time is of less concern to me, my Loricraft only does 1 record at a time and only 1 side at a time to boot I am used to that although if it cleaned both sides in one go would have been better.

The fact that BREU has 4 different cleaning methods is very interesting plus it’s the most quiet record cleaner I have come across, but with all that said the price I think will be the make or break of this unit. The price of the KLAudio has been it's downfall.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Munich? show conditions with background noise making it hard to hear the entire discussion.

From what I gathered, the cleaning methods are:

1. spray water
2. spray water with brushes
3. spray water with ultrasonic
3. spray water with brushes and ultrasonic
4. spin record at 2600 rpm - "dirt just flies off"; dry after 30 seconds.

(pls correct if this is not what was said.)

It certainly looks 'sophisticated' with its lighted touchpad controls, mechanism to lower and raise the record into the visible tank, showing internals. The chap said he finished it three days ago.

Reactions: amadeus

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would get the full Monty version with the integrated water bath. Seems simpler.

. . .

I am not sure I understand. You are suggesting I get a remaining KL somewhere?

Who will service the KLs in the field once KL Audio is no longer making them?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

JMO, but it is usually not a good idea to get a unit which is out of production. I would lean towards either one of the current products on the market or DIY (if you like to do this sort of thing).

Reactions: tima

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Munich? show conditions with background noise making it hard to hear the entire discussion.

From what I gathered, the cleaning methods are:

1. spray water
2. spray water with brushes
3. spray water with ultrasonic
3. spray water with brushes and ultrasonic
4. spin record at 2600 rpm - "dirt just flies off"; dry after 30 seconds.

(pls correct if this is not what was said.)

It certainly looks 'sophisticated' with its lighted touchpad controls, mechanism to lower and raise the record into the visible tank, showing internals. The chap said he finished it three days ago.

That is mostly correct tima plus you have one extra option in which you can heat up the cleaning liquid too.
So yes cleaning cycle is

1. Use water + Brush to clean
2. Use water + Ultrasonic to clean
3. Use any of the above + heated up water to clean
4. Use all the about together at the same time to clean, as in heated up water + brush + ultrasonic to clean.
And you always end up with the spin cycle to dry.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I remain intrigued that US cleaner noise is such an issue. At 5 mins per lp, and 3 cleaned per day, is this such an impediment? That 15 mins could be usefully spent posting on WBF what a bitch it is to have a noisy US cleaner Lol.

Reactions: dminches

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Who will service the KLs in the field once KL Audio is no longer making them?
Sorry I thought you were asking which KL version to get. Imho, they are quite reliable and mine has been faultless for many years. I would still buy this today if I needed a RCM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I remain intrigued that US cleaner noise is such an issue. At 5 mins per lp, and 3 cleaned per day, is this such an impediment? That 15 mins could be usefully spent posting on WBF what a bitch it is to have a noisy US cleaner Lol.

The noise may not bother you, but it bothers me. I have the record cleaner in my listening room, so I can go from cleaning to playing. With the Loricraft I can clean one record while listening to another.

If you are happy cleaning and listening in a noisy room, good for you.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's not a case of happy, but a compromise I'm ok on. Now, if I was cleaning industrial amounts of lps, I get the objection. YMMV really applies here. I won't ever clean more than 3 lps a day, so I'm resigned to this.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Noise is mostly a function of three factors.

1. The frequency and number of the US transducers - the lower the frequency the greater the noisie. On my Elmasonic there is quite a difference between 40kHz and 80kHz. Of recent current models, the KLaudio is probably the loudest.

2. The mechanical operation of the machine - the more automated, the noisier. breu may be an exception. KLA and ADS use a wheel against the edge or side of the record to rotate it . . .an idler drive!

3. A fan operating inside the box can get loud. Air drying is very quiet. :)

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
tima i am mostly bothered by the noise in the fan drying cycle.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can't you guys wash yr hair when you're cleaning records and perform the drying cycle when you're blow drying your locks Lol.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
spiritofmusic I really don’t know what your issue is here? Or are you just board today?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How many variables? Heat? Are PVC baskets extruded or pressed? How long are they left in?

Even if you say took off a millionth of the life of a record, it pales compared to how bad all the stuff in the grooves is for it. And once it is nice and clean it'll probably stay that way.

IMHO you fail to understand the real depth of the problem when cleaning vinyl LPs - the formulation of the materials of the disk are is not exactly known and the surface behavior is extremely critical. I had LPs that were ruined just by the use of improper liquids or just because they were played in turntables with suction systems. Unfortunately I only noticed it a few months later. Some LPs are more sensitive to aggression than others. Users are not just aiming at looking nice and clean, but sound quality and long time effects.

kkpoo

Oct 3, 2019
Anyone here located in the US possibly close to KLaudio and could help me get one unit to Europe?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
IMHO you fail to understand the real depth of the problem when cleaning vinyl LPs - the formulation of the materials of the disk are is not exactly known and the surface behavior is extremely critical. I had LPs that were ruined just by the use of improper liquids or just because they were played in turntables with suction systems. Unfortunately I only noticed it a few months later. Some LPs are more sensitive to aggression than others. Users are not just aiming at looking nice and clean, but sound quality and long time effects.

Unknown to whom?

What improper liquid did you use? I only use stuff that chemist have approved. This goes deep, decades online.

Sound quality is the only thing I consider.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unknown to whom?

What improper liquid did you use? I only use stuff that chemist have approved. This goes deep, decades online.

Sound quality is the only thing I consider.

Nice to know you have all the answers. My main point was addressing your post #21, stating that IMHO there a lot we do not know about the short and long term effects of ultrasonic cleaning .

Anyway it would be nice to know exactly what proper stuff that chemists have approved you use for ultrasonic cleaning. I am always happy to learn.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing