Which sigmas to buy for my Audio Research gear?

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
My main system consists of an Audio Research Reference DAC and Reference 75. The source is a dedicated music server.
I am considering the Sigma PCs.

The Reference DAC is a line stage and DAC combined. Do I go for Analog or Digital?
The Reference 75 is beautiful but quite modest in its output. Could I choose Analog over HC?

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I use Sigma HC for my amp as well as my Triton

I use Sigma Analog for my preamp as well as my R2R and the power supply for my tape head preamp

I use Sigma Digital for my CDP
You won't regret your purchase. I'm amazed by these PC's

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Thank you Steve. However I am still somewhat at a loss as to what cables to order for my specific gear.
Any ideas someone? Thanks.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thank you Steve. However I am still somewhat at a loss as to what cables to order for my specific gear.
Any ideas someone? Thanks.

Shunyata should be able to tell you whether a digital/analog component (i.e. DAC/Pre) works best with digital or analog cable. Intuitively I would say digital cable. I would think any poweramp works best with the HC version of the cable, but suggest you confirm with Shunyata as well. They are quite responsive.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Pieter,

In your case I'd recommend the Sigma Analog for the amp and Sigma Digital for the pre-amp/DAC. The HC model of Sigma is most appropriate for extreme-current demand amps or Triton's that support multiple components and amps. The Sigma Analog would be more than enough for the Ref 75. In fact, there are already ARC customers using the Sigma Analog with the 75 and even the 250's to good effect.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Thank you Edorr and Grant.
@Grant: I totally follow as to the amp. Could you explain the reason why the pre-amp/dac would be a better fit with the sigma digital? Would you know of customer experiences that went that route vs the analog? Thnks again.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Although I think Grant has all good intentions with his recommendation, I would still go with the Sigma HC. For the price difference you are future proof if you decide to change amps....

Hi Pieter,

In your case I'd recommend the Sigma Analog for the amp and Sigma Digital for the pre-amp/DAC. The HC model of Sigma is most appropriate for extreme-current demand amps or Triton's that support multiple components and amps. The Sigma Analog would be more than enough for the Ref 75. In fact, there are already ARC customers using the Sigma Analog with the 75 and even the 250's to good effect.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Pieter,

Even though the DAC is an analog-output device and is at the end of your digital chain it is still better to have some higher-frequency noise filtering there because DAC's can have some high-frequency noise components associated with them.

If you were to compare the Analog and Digital versions of the Sigma with one another on most components, the differences will be subtle, so I don't believe there is a "wrong" choice where you are concerned. The exception will be very high-frequency, high-noise digital-output components such as servers, routers, transports, computers, processors. These will be noticeably better served with a "digital" version of our power cords.

My recommendation was in general because the DAC is part of the digital chain and also because you are talking about a multi-function component, which can have a bit more noise associated with it. In your case, if you tried and loved the Sigma Analog, that would not be a surprise. Both the Digital and Analog versions of Sigma would acquit themselves extremely well compared to just about anything regarding the application in question. Thanks, Pieter. Feel free to e-mail me if you have system questions as I don't get here as often as I'd like.

best regards,

Grant

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
That is great information Grant. Thank you.
I will most likely be able to audition the cables somewhere over the coming two months or so. Very much looking forward to this.

Hi Pieter,

Even though the DAC is an analog-output device and is at the end of your digital chain it is still better to have some higher-frequency noise filtering there because DAC's can have some high-frequency noise components associated with them.

If you were to compare the Analog and Digital versions of the Sigma with one another on most components, the differences will be subtle, so I don't believe there is a "wrong" choice where you are concerned. The exception will be very high-frequency, high-noise digital-output components such as servers, routers, transports, computers, processors. These will be noticeably better served with a "digital" version of our power cords.

My recommendation was in general because the DAC is part of the digital chain and also because you are talking about a multi-function component, which can have a bit more noise associated with it. In your case, if you tried and loved the Sigma Analog, that would not be a surprise. Both the Digital and Analog versions of Sigma would acquit themselves extremely well compared to just about anything regarding the application in question. Thanks, Pieter. Feel free to e-mail me if you have system questions as I don't get here as often as I'd like.

best regards,

Grant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing