Which is Better Sound From High Power: Single Tube SET or Parallel Tube SET?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I think we used both the M7 and M1000 that afternoon, I also preferred the M7. I don't think you had the subs at the time. Good to hear you found a better room.
We have always had the Subs. The subs present a problem with finding a big enough space.

Reactions: sjs

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I was referring to the Vitavox S2, which the manufacturer claims is unchanged from the "original".

If I ever get around to comparing two sets of original S2 compression drivers in my Vitavox speakers, I will report my findings. If they sound different from each other, then I guess a new driver will have to sound more or less similar to one of them.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If I ever get around to comparing two sets of original S2 compression drivers in my Vitavox speakers, I will report my findings. If they sound different from each other, then I guess a new driver will have to sound more or less similar to one of them.

Peter do you have more data on this Vitavox S2 driver .
The modern version is manufactured in the UK , but under specs i find no sensitivity data and also no FR response .
Would be nice to have for this kind of $$$.
After i have finished my smaller cone speaker models i might go make something with this compression driver.

looks great old school well made British design

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter do you have more data on this Vitavox S2 driver .
The modern version is manufactured in the UK , but under specs i find no sensitivity data and also no FR response .
Would be nice to have for this kind of $$$.
After i have finished my smaller cone speaker models i might go make something with this compression driver.

looks great old school British design

It is very hard to find any information. DDK says that later versions of the speakers sound different. I do not know about the S2 driver specifically, but different people are making them, so I suspect even the drivers do sound slightly different than the early ones from the late 50s. I did find this sheet describing the current model:

Attachments

• 191_specification_sheet.pdf
    959.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks

Its probably around 105 db , the Vox Olympian is also a 105 db spec design and uses the same " new " S2 driver.
I hope they will have it on demonstration in Munich , but probably not.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It is very hard to find any information. DDK says that later versions of the speakers sound different. I do not know about the S2 driver specifically, but different people are making them, so I suspect even the drivers do sound slightly different than the early ones from the late 50s. I did find this sheet describing the current model:

I think its a interesting unit .

I have made a thread to combine all info .

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In my system at the time it sounded very detailed and fast, lean and with an exposed top end. It didnt sit well with me. View attachment 41168

Hello pweg,

But doesn't "very detailed and fast, lean and with an exposed top end" describe the sound of those Marten speakers? Why are you attributing this sound to the 833 amplifiers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello pweg,

But doesn't "very detailed and fast, lean and with an exposed top end" describe the sound of those Marten speakers? Why are you attributing this sound to the 833 amplifiers?

the AM 833 sounded lean also on the Diapason. Another user also described them that way. They gave good drive and are musical and transparent otherwise, it is just that report’s consistently show them to sound lean.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello pweg,

The latest Marten Speaker in Munich, the Quintet, had a rather low COG compared to Martens I have heard in the past. They actually sounded quite laidback as a result. I don't think all 833 amps sound the way these are being described... If you want to look at some beast 833s then look at the Amplifon SET140 monos.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Since I will never be able to have in my room for direct comparison an 833 amp and a PSET and a Jadis versus my VTLs, if I can throw only one dart for my alternative "fantasy amp," I would get the MastersounD PF100 Litz (PSET with four 845 tubes).

Reactions: Panas

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Do you see a date on this review?
In the review the song "you want it darker" by Leonhard Cohen is mentioned, so it can't be too old ;)
The Amplifon SET 140 is a current model, when I ordered my SET 42 this year, the manufacturer was finishing two pairs of the SET 140 as well.

Just searched for the original German version of this review, it is from December 2019.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
buy a quiet fan and cool the 833c's anode terminals (on top of the tube) when they are running. otherwise means good bye life for tube and your life. just a little tip from me you don't want to be in the room when the tube loses its life.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the review the song "you want it darker" by Leonhard Cohen is mentioned, so it can't be too old ;)
The Amplifon SET 140 is a current model, when I ordered my SET 42 this year, the manufacturer was finishing two pairs of the SET 140 as well.

Just searched for the original German version of this review, it is from December 2019.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: christoph

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello pweg,

Typically these high power SETs will have very high distortion above a few tens of watt. IMO the critical point in these amplifiers is the output transformer, not just the tube type. See the measurements of the 150W - just quoting the specifications - Wavac 833 -https://www.stereophile.com/content/wavac-sh-833-monoblock-power-amplifier-specifications .

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Typically these high power SETs will have very high distortion above a few tens of watt. IMO the critical point in these amplifiers is the output transformer, not just the tube type. See the measurements of the 150W - just quoting the specifications - Wavac 833 -https://www.stereophile.com/content/wavac-sh-833-monoblock-power-amplifier-specifications .
You need massive good and expensive output transformer and high voltage (1500Vdc)to run this beasts good. The filament current is terrible( 10 volt/10ampere 100watt) inrush go up to 20ampere.
A friend use this SE 12K redpoint pic 20230707_075813.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing