What's the best subwoofer? REL? JL AUDIO? Velodyne? Wilson? Something else?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I do not think I will need subwoofers.

Not with the Pendragons from what is out there on them; you will be extremely fortunate to have these. When will they complete manufacture and what is their ETA to you?

That will be one stunning setup when you get done with it!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My listening room will not be ready to take them for a year.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Marty: Good Morning!!! 1000W of power for one 15" driver is not enough? Seriously??? For 2 channel I would say it is more than enough; my last speakers had 500W amps (2) driving one each 12" bass and sub-bass driver and the results were paste you in-seat bass (you heard it here as they say!) and the bass and sub-bass had to be EQ'ed down to defeat a room mode.
Mark: we will have to continue this discussion after you come up to Ricks house for a GtG hopefully in March.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Mark: we will have to continue this discussion after you come up to Ricks house for a GtG hopefully in March.

I'll be there! Looking forward to it as you know!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
What surprises me the most in this thread (unless I missed it) is the lack of focus on not just the quantity (Geddes proposal) but the quality of subs. I've owned quite a few - Dahlquist, Pioneer, Martin Logan, M&K, Rel and of all, the newest JL Audio F112 quality is far above all the rest. The driver control, impact, musicality, flexibility and of course integration makes it an excellent choice. I would put the JL Audio line of home audio subs bass quality higher than many main speaker's bass. So while multiple subs can in some situations help smooth out room modes multiple lower cost "good" subs do not = the quality of a higher end Rel or JL Audio IMO.

Last edited:

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I use a Velodyne 18 and a custom dual 16 subwoofer and the largest difference in overall bass performance was not amplifier power or the room,it was a super low noise floor by using a grounding scheme. One thinks that grounding can not make a profound difference,but is the key to amazing bass and overall sound quality.

Good point Roger. I hope more work is done in this area. I have recently tried some "virtual ground" products from Entreq, Synergistic, and Acoustic Revive.
CAD in England also makes two versions of a virtual ground box.
What I noticed with some of these, is cleaner bass response. I was not expecting the lower frequencies to be affected.
Better grounding on the AC wiring has also helped bass quality along with the rest of the spectrum.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good point Roger. I hope more work is done in this area. I have recently tried some "virtual ground" products from Entreq, Synergistic, and Acoustic Revive.
What I noticed with some of these, is cleaner bass response. I was not expecting the lower frequencies to be affected.
Better grounding on the AC wiring has also helped bass quality along with the rest of the spectrum.

You and RogerD have both talked about grounding for subs...which is a good reminder for me. Would be interesting to experiment with this. Thanks for that!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

You and RogerD have both talked about grounding for subs...which is a good reminder for me. Would be interesting to experiment with this. Thanks for that!

I have done nothing else but my "extreme grounding" and the difference in the overall quality of bass is jaw dropping. Even with my satellite speakers with DynAudio smallish woofers it has blown my away..the bass is articulate and explosive.

Attachments

• 1221704856_zps1f3014aa.jpg
    1221704856_zps1f3014aa.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 388

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, RogerD...will make some inquiries about this locally. Have some early ideas.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
How about eight (8) Seaton F18's, and about 8000 watts to drive them -- all strategically placed. That is where I will end up in about a week or so. Spectacular for music. Just plain stupid for home theater. I got tired of futzing around and decided to just jump to the end of the line. I really like the looks of them but all are hidden.

A photo of Mark with 2 stacks of 3 of the F18's:

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 10.42.12 PM.jpg

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
the need...

How about eight (8) Seaton F18's, and about 8000 watts to drive them -- all strategically placed. That is where I will end up in about a week or so. Spectacular for music. Just plain stupid for home theater. I got tired of futzing around and decided to just jump to the end of the line. I really like the looks of them but all are hidden.

View attachment 33588

the need for this arises but rarely, as I play and produce and mostly listen music for violin.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

View attachment 33588

Go for it :cool:

Are you avoiding stacking for reasons of domestic harmony?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
They do indeed look rather tasty

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Last edited:

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
View attachment 33603

31.5inch fostex driver

want even more firepower 50inch
MORE than happy with my pair Rel Gibralters

2.3 mm of xmax, I could bottom that thing with one bass drum hit. There are 5 inch midrange drivers with twice that travel.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I'll recommend 'something else';

- Legacy Audio Foundation subs (I have 2 since late 2018 and they are the most musical subs and earth-shattering
I've ever owned (including some big RELs back in the day including dual B1 Britannia. If you add Wavelet and room
correction over and above it's a plus but I've tested this sub just using its fine-grained blending controls and I've heard
16Hz and below solidly,....2 of these can move walls for sure.

- Legacy Goliath,...these are monsters are will take you as low as you could ever need / want to go. With the Xilica DSP included
for active crossover, parametricEQ, etc....they are extremely impressive...

The other brands on the lists (REL, JL, etc...) also have some great contenders on the list...

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I was very impressive from Goebel petite baforce
I had Krell Master Reference and Soundlab mono B1,but this is much better.
Was connected to Aeon Reference speaker,cut at 35 hz,and bass was perfect,very deep and strong,natural,seems perfect.
There is the version passive and the version active,with 8 class D amp,one for each driver.
Really very impressive

Reactions: infinitely baffled

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I was very impressive from Goebel petite baforce
I had Krell Master Reference and Soundlab mono B1,but this is much better.
Was connected to Aeon Reference speaker,cut at 35 hz,and bass was perfect,very deep and strong,natural,seems perfect.
There is the version passive and the version active,with 8 class D amp,one for each driver.
Really very impressive
Fantastic, Gian60...i have been very curious to know more about those. I believe 1 Petite Baforce is Eur72,500? Even by Wilson, Magico subwoofer standards, Eur72,500 for a massive sub is a LOT...pretty much double the price of the Wilson & Magico reference subwoofers.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017...-high-end-from-gobel-ch-precision-and-kronos/

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing