What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Looks like Odeon is showing a new model at Munich 2019.

Reactions: jeff1225

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That’s very interesting, Brad! Do you think you would trade up for these?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That’s very interesting, Brad! Do you think you would trade up for these?
Hard to say, I would need to hear them side by side in my room probably or at least with my AC gear to get a clear idea. I think I would keep the ones I have over the No. 33 or 38 though.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What the hell is the salad bowel doing on the bass driver?
Given that this driver is producing sound well into the mids (probably up to 400hz or so) it is probably having some positive effect. Maybe it is harmonizing the sound character between bass and mid and drivers are blending better this way? It sounded very good.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It would need to be 8.25" to affect 400hz as a horn, and isn't going to provide any extra sensitivity. It's maybe half as big as it would need to be (8.25"), and according to their site with 15" bass drivers they cross more like 200-300hz area. Their models on website don't have the salad bowl.

I think it's just for (funny) looks.

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It would need to be 8.25" to affect 400hz as a horn, and isn't going to provide any extra sensitivity. It's maybe half as big as it would need to be (8.25"), and according to their site with 15" bass drivers they cross more like 200-300hz area. Their models on website don't have the salad bowl.

Would it not be marginally acting as a mini waveguide to improve directionality.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Looks like Odeon is showing a new model at Munich 2019.

This was sounding good, much better than the other Odeons I have heard. I think they incorporated some of the wood tone from the 120k model two years ago, and possibly better integration (Tough to say from a show demo) than the ones you might find in the used market. I have a couple of videos I will share later

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Given that this driver is producing sound well into the mids (probably up to 400hz or so) it is probably having some positive effect. Maybe it is harmonizing the sound character between bass and mid and drivers are blending better this way? It sounded very good.
Or just to look like a horn? ;)

Like Avantgarde likes to do as well.
They keep calling "horns" in the bass that are never ever horn loaded (not even wave guided) for the frequencies that they reproduce :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Funny.
Normally I concur mostly with Brad and Ked but this time my friends (M and D) and I found this Odeon not to Sound very good.
I have to admit though, that we didn't stay very long in that room because all 3 of us didn't like the Sound too much :oops:

We know the Odeon Sound very good as M and I own(ed) the the No. 32 and No. 38/2 and the model on demo just didn't grab us.
We even joked that they would have better hooked up the little 28/3 they had on silent display on the side ;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Funny.
Normally I concur mostly with Brad and Ked but this time my friends (M and D) and I found this Odeon not to Sound very good.
I have to admit though, that we didn't stay very long in that room because all 3 of us didn't like the Sound too much :oops:

We know the Odeon Sound very good as M and I own(ed) the the No. 32 and No. 38/2 and the model on demo just didn't grab us.
We even joked that they would have better hooked up the little 28/3 they had on silent display on the side ;)

Yes funny indeed. What didn't you like? I went there three different times and found it quite good and I took an AC owner up there who also thought it was outstanding.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Their website doesn't have this model because it is a new model. If you look at the top model on the website (no. 38/2) you will see the midrange horn is quite a bit larger than it is on this model at the show, which has about the same size midrange horn as the 28/3 model. This means that the bass on the new model will be going up higher in frequency and I think to get the blend better between the mid and the bass they added the short horn, wave guide or whatever you want to call it. This will likely enhance the output of the driver in the range they needed for the crossover, based on the overall size of the horn around the bass.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Their website doesn't have this model because it is a new model. If you look at the top model on the website (no. 38/2) you will see the midrange horn is quite a bit larger than it is on this model at the show, which has about the same size midrange horn as the 28/3 model. This means that the bass on the new model will be going up higher in frequency and I think to get the blend better between the mid and the bass they added the short horn, wave guide or whatever you want to call it. This will likely enhance the output of the driver in the range they needed for the crossover, based on the overall size of the horn around the bass.

So I was right. They have done some mods to improve coherence, which my big no no with the previous models, plus the wood like tone

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So I was right. They have done some mods to improve coherence, which my big no no with the previous models, plus the wood like tone
Well, it is an analysis on my part, I did not talk directly to Axel to get the "true" explanation...guess I should have...

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Or just to look like a horn? ;)

Like Avantgarde likes to do as well.
They keep calling "horns" in the bass that are never ever horn loaded (not even wave guided) for the frequencies that they reproduce :rolleyes:

The horn is not for the bass in this case...it is for higher frequencies (the size on the woofer is probably not too different overall than the mid horn on the 38/2). Since the mid horn on this speaker looks to be about 28/3 sized, then you probably need that short horn on the woofer to get a better matchup since it doesn't go as low as the 38/2 mid horn. Avantgardes short horn bass might be doing something similar to give a better match to their mid horn but this is just speculation.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Interesting....
When I demoed the 28/3 model I found it to be very coherent. And, this was literally minutes after hearing a single-driver speaker in the same system. I listened for a disconnect between the cone bass and the horns above but nothing stood out.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The mid horn on the 28/3 (and the 33 and 38) look more substantial in terms of thickness and weight than the horns on the new model.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Funny.

Does anyone know what electronics they were they using here?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing