What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It was disappointing to read the reviews of the system featuring the Animas at the T.H.E. Show 2019 in June. It makes me hesitant to make travel plans to go and hear these.

How far to travel? I wouldn't let my show experience influence your auditions - we have different taste anyways.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
How far to travel? I wouldn't let my show experience influence your auditions - we have different taste anyways.
From Toronto to Los Angeles (3,500 kms)
It wasn't just your show experience. I also spoke to another person who attended the show. We have similar sensibilities when it comes to audio and he pretty much echoed what you said.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The 45 is a very low watt amp. I think the Anima requires more power and drive especially for the bass, which is probably why the wavac didn't work. Usually the sensitivity readings are only for mids or so.

If anyone wants the duo, thus horns symphonia is a better speaker imo. This retails at only 15k euro.

Nice little montage:
Duo is half active (bass anyway) hard to compare to a fully passive speaker. Also sensitivity ratings are for the whole speaker not just the mids or highs (again unless bass is active).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Would you classify the Odeon 33 as a large speaker system?
My wife would say yes :D. It’s not small but there are much bigger out there. My La Bohemes are about the same size and are considered by non-audiophiles as huge.

Reactions: Exlibris

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The 45 is a very low watt amp. I think the Anima requires more power and drive especially for the bass, which is probably why the wavac didn't work. Usually the sensitivity readings are only for mids or so.

If anyone wants the duo, thus horns symphonia is a better speaker imo. This retails at only 15k euro.

Nice little montage:
I think it's dishonest for a manufacturer to post a high efficiency rating on a speaker if that rating doesn't apply to every driver in that speaker; in other words, the entire speaker. I see speakers with claimed +100dB ratings and I wonder how my 2 watt amp is going to drive those 12" or 15" bass woofers. The answer, of course, is that it can't. The efficiency rating is misleading -- it only applies to part of the speaker.

Reactions: Al M.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think it's dishonest for a manufacturer to post a high efficiency rating on a speaker if that rating doesn't apply to every driver in that speaker; in other words, the entire speaker. I see speakers with claimed +100dB ratings and I wonder how my 2 watt amp is going to drive those 12" or 15" bass woofers. The answer, of course, is that it can't. The efficiency rating is misleading -- it only applies to part of the speaker.
Just because a woofer is big has nothing to do with whether or not it can be driven by a 2 watt amp. Most big pro woofers are quite high sensitivity and easy loads. I am pretty sure the sensitivity for the Tune speaker is for the whole speaker.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Just because a woofer is big has nothing to do with whether or not it can be driven by a 2 watt amp. Most big pro woofers are quite high sensitivity and easy loads. I am pretty sure the sensitivity for the Tune speaker is for the whole speaker.
That's good to know; thanks. It's not true for the Universum III, however -- I asked the manufacturer.

Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From Toronto to Los Angeles (3,500 kms)
It wasn't just your show experience. I also spoke to another person who attended the show. We have similar sensibilities when it comes to audio and he pretty much echoed what you said.

Which means the show set up was the issue. So everyone at the show might say the same thing. Says nothing whether you will like the speaker or not

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Which means the show set up was the issue. So everyone at the show might say the same thing. Says nothing whether you will like the speaker or not
Logically, that just means that there is one or more common element that made the sound bad for everyone. It could be the room, the set up, the speakers, or something else. But I take your point.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Logically, that just means that there is one or more common element that made the sound bad for everyone. It could be the room, the set up, the speakers, or something else. But I take your point.
And, if I fly to LA, it's going to be this same system, set up by these same guys, that I'll be hearing. To morricab's point over on the other thread -- I personally don't think there is an excuse for getting the sound really wrong at a show.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't think these will work with your amps. I think very few will work with Mayer 46, best to stay with your current speakers or DIY something with high efficiency drivers like some vintage drivers, or an AER driver but that's expensive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And, if I fly to LA, it's going to be this same system, set up by these same guys, that I'll be hearing. To morricab's point over on the other thread -- I personally don't think there is an excuse for getting the sound really wrong at a show.

Shows get sounds wrong all the time. Using our own beliefs and logic doesn't help anybody. What is, is.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

Yes, you'd think that any sensitivity measurement would be for the whole speaker. Here's measurements taken during a review of the Animas by a French magazine:
Sensitivity.JPG

It looks like they had the mid horn set to a higher output than the low and high. I'm not sure how they arrived at the 108.5dB/w@1m sensitivity - taken at 200Hz perhaps? In any event, there's a clear fall in sensitivity below 200Hz (5dB or so?), and then more so below 50Hz (5-10dB?).

With no sub, my preference is to reduce the output of the mid and high horns to get a more even balance, and live with an overall lower sensitivity. This is one of the reasons why I use a relatively powerful amp.

Mani.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Any chance you can get to the crossover? I think the bass driven actively might help.

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This is the problem with no standards of measurement. Personally I think it should be an area under curve for the claimed frequency response or similar.

It seems that the Anima bass chimney isn’t doing much for the bass efficiency at all.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
It seems that the Anima bass chimney isn’t doing much for the bass efficiency at all.

Looking at the graph, >50Hz, the sensitivity looks to be well over 100dB. Would a 15" driver in a box be able to achieve this?

Mani.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Looking at the graph, >50Hz, the sensitivity looks to be well over 100dB. Would a 15" driver in a box be able to achieve this?

Mani.

Depends on the driver Mani. The most extreme 15” I know of in this regard is the 15” Maxonic woofer claiming 105dB in free air. Many pro 15” are rated at 100dB in free air.

The issue is the huge drop relative to the other horns.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Just to clarify, I have a Mayer 45/2A3.
I have only heard the Animas powered with 300B SET and a Bakoon (8-12 watts range) at the lower end of amp wattages, plus with a 24 watt PSE. I have heard it with a larger class A SS as well. My mate with the Animas has talked about trying a 2A3 based amp on them but hasn’t so I can’t say but that possibly may be on the critical edge driving the 15 inch even in a smallish room.

Reactions: Exlibris

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I suspect my setup, with the mid and high horns reduced, is closer to this (thick red line):
Mani Settings.jpg

So my overall sensitivity could be as low as ~102dB/w@1m. But I prefer the balance.

Yes, I could try bi- or tri-amping the Animas and then use each horn to its maximum sensitivity (assuming I could adjust the gain of the amps accordingly). But my 'issue' is that I'm perfectly happy with the sound I have, and really don't have the motivation to change anything.

Mani.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing