What was your biggest obstacle to purchasing audio gear?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not many (great) dealers left in Upstate. I guess The Speaker Shop (Buffalo) might be the only one. Back in the late 70's thru the 90's there were several in each city from Buffalo to Albany.
Being able to have access to a great dealer is a big issue without an overnight drive or plane trip.

Another bigger obstacle for me is is the availability of the gear I want to buy....waiting is a big factor for me.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not many (great) dealers left in Upstate. I guess The Speaker Shop (Buffalo) might be the only one. Back in the late 70's thru the 90's there were several in each city from Buffalo to Albany.
Being able to have access to a great dealer is a big issue without an overnight drive or plane trip.

Another bigger obstacle for me is is the availability of the gear I want to buy....waiting is a big factor for me.
The supply chain ( or lack thereof) has crippled manufacturers all over the world. I feel your pain

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
MQA is doing really, really well. I think you are going to have a tough year as more announcements come out.

Peter McGrath was here yesterday playing more of his wonderful classical recordings. We compared the before and after of MQA encoding and there was a noticeable improvement with the MQA version.

Lee, MQA Ltd has been making announcements since 2015 and their financial condition has only gotten steadily worse. MQA can make as many announcements as they want but it changes very little. MQA’s market share in streaming is so small it’s getting hard to compute. It is not even worth trying to compute MQA’s market share in downloads and CDs.

As for appealing to authority by saying Peter McGrath likes it. Readers should know there has been a thought exam in high-end audio since late 2016. Do you think MQA sounds better? If the answer is yes, you failed.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, MQA Ltd has been making announcements since 2015 and their financial condition has only gotten steadily worse. MQA can make as many announcements as they want but it changes very little. MQA’s market share in streaming is so small it’s getting hard to compute. It is not even worth trying to compute MQA’s market share in downloads and CDs.

As for appealing to authority by saying Peter McGrath likes it. Readers should know there has been a thought exam in high-end audio since late 2016. Do you think MQA sounds better? If the answer is yes, you failed.

You don’t really understand that MQA is a technology company working on a wide variety of projects. They do R&D, invent something and then license it. Pretty soon we should see some profits.

It’s not just Peter, it is my own critical listening of his files. The MQA encoding makes a significant improvement in the sound of his recordings. I spent two days doing A/Bs with Peter.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Biggest challenge here in the UK is finding a dealer that has more than one product at a certain price point once you move into high-end gear.
And when you do find one, them accepting that you might want to try something outside of their portfolio.

Reactions: Lee

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
You don’t really understand that MQA is a technology company working on a wide variety of projects. They do R&D, invent something and then license it. Pretty soon we should see some profits.

It’s not just Peter, it is my own critical listening of his files. The MQA encoding makes a significant improvement in the sound of his recordings. I spent two days doing A/Bs with Peter.
In a technology company you should be developing new technologies and products because when your first product fails in the market it is nice to have story to tell your investors, so they continue to throw good money after bad. Lee, it has been twenty years since Bob Stuart showed an operating profit at Meridian. He was in his fifties does he even remember how to make money?

Lee if you and Peter McGrath spent two days A/B testing MQA files you wasted your time. It doesn’t matter that you found a significant improvement in the MQA files it just means you failed the test worse than say Andy Quint did when he said he found a slight improvement. But all of you still failed the test. I can recommend some activities that are a better use of time of your time and may help you manage NextScreen better.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In a technology company you should be developing new technologies and products because when your first product fails in the market it is nice to have story to tell your investors, so they continue to throw good money after bad. Lee, it has been twenty years since Bob Stuart showed an operating profit at Meridian. He was in his fifties does he even remember how to make money?

Lee if you and Peter McGrath spent two days A/B testing MQA files you wasted your time. It doesn’t matter that you found a significant improvement in the MQA files it just means you failed the test worse than say Andy Quint did when he said he found a slight improvement. But all of you still failed the test. I can recommend some activities that are a better use of time of your time and may help you manage NextScreen better.
If MQA is such a failure, why do sophisticated investors keep investing in it?

If people like myself and Peter McGrath who both have strong critical listening skills and a recording background (especially strong in Peter’s case) believe that there are clear benefits to MQA encoding, why should readers of this thread think our opinions are invalid?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
If MQA is such a failure, why do sophisticated investors keep investing in it?

If people like myself and Peter McGrath who both have strong critical listening skills and a recording background (especially strong in Peter’s case) believe that there are clear benefits to MQA encoding, why should readers of this thread think our opinions are invalid?
In the VC world people call the folks who invest in companies like MQA Ltd “tourists”. Bob Stuart tells a fantastic story and FOMO (fear of missing out) kicks in. He would have been politely shown the door by Venture Capitalists on the West Coast. Either MQA Ltd’ s investors didn’t do their due diligence, or they bought a story too good to be true. Either way not sophisticated investors.

Ok let’s start with Peter McGrath. He makes a recording, then has it processed by MQA and likes it better. He could do the same thing on a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) so why doesn’t he? What he likes is just DSP to the listener. So, I think it is fair question his expertise.

Lee, in your case you have too good a background in consulting to have not figured this out. It must be more than just your preference for the format. So, you must get something else out all the promotion of MQA you have done over the years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing