What DACs are you using with your K50 ?

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I am using my K50 MK2 with the denafrips Terminator . Curious to hear what DACs do fellow K50 users have and their experiences

Reactions: OLADRA

WAVE High Fidelity

Mar 4, 2021
Leics, UK
www.wavehighfidelity.com
I used a Chord Mscaler and Chord DAVE Dac connected to my K50 and with them the best sound quality in my experience was using BNC from the K50 to the Mscaler. I had both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 K50 and it was the same result for best SQ with both of them.

I tried optical and also usb but the BNC easily beat both of those connections when connected to the Mscaler or direct to Dave without the Mscaler.

(Obviously I use my own manufacture WAVE Storm bnc spdif cables and hope I am forgiven for saying they are best for the job but many others find the same with their K50's and Oladra's :)).

I did try a dCS Rossini Apex but I preferred the Mscaler + Dave combination although the Rossini owner preferred that.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I am using my K50 MK2 with the denafrips Terminator . Curious to hear what DACs do fellow K50 users have and their experiences
I upgraded to the K50 MK3 and have an Aqua Formula xHD DAC. I am using the AES/EBU input with a Sablon digital cable.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I upgraded to the K50 MK3 and have an Aqua Formula xHD DAC. I am using the AES/EBU input with a Sablon digital cable.
I had an aqua voce 2 previously and used it with EX/CX combo. Then upgraded to terminator.
the aqua had wonderful midrange in my setup. But the terminator was a definite step up.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
I use Bricasti M12 fed by AES/EBU from gen 1 K50; upgraded to Gen 3 and currently using the new USB and very satisfied

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Wadia 27 iX (first on K50, now on Oladra)

Reactions: RussR and OLADRA

tom539

Dec 28, 2021
Speaker Setup:
Internal DAC of my Devialet 440Pro CI.
Connect to AES with 1m WireWorld Micro Platinum 8.

Headphone setup:
Ferrum ERCO, power by Ferrum Hypsos.
Conneted to SPDIF (Coax) with 1m AudioQuest Carbon

atb, Tom

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am using a Bricasti M21 with the AES/EBU out of my Kala K50.

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
My K50 first-release version is on the way to Antipodes for upgrade to G4 Oladra technology. I have been using a Mola Mola Makua with DAC (Tambaqui similar) via Roon Ready ethernet, USB , and AES/EBU with Sablon Bocchino cable most used up to now. I also have been using Lumin X1 via fiber.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Has anyone tried the T+A Dac 200 with your K50 ?

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I am using my K50 (v2) with the PSaudio Directstream (upgraded).
Connected by I2S Audioquest.
Very satisfied with this combo.
No immediate plans to upgrade the DAC.
But a Playback Design is on the wish list ;-).

Reactions: kennyb123

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I am using a Bricasti M21 with the AES/EBU out of my Kala K50.
I decided to try an old WW Platinum Starlight USB cable and test the new USB output. It is the equal of the AES/EBU output and now my DAC sees all native streams - which I like.

Reactions: Lxgreen

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Any comparison with your Tubulus Concentus USB?
Thx

Matt
Didn't do side by side comparisons. I installed the WW a few days after the Tubulus went back to its owner. I can't really compare other than to say, they both sound great. Having said that, if I decide to stay with USB I will purchase the Tubulus Concentus USB cable. Just haven't made that decision yet.

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing