Antipodes Audio - Updated Range and Upgrade Program - July 2023

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, JJJS!

What a wonderful first post you wrote! Thank you for this review!

PS: I love the Amati Homage as a very natural sounding and musical and emotionally-engaging speaker!

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, I heard more detail and more distinct detail due to the overall very quiet background of the Oladra. . . . Ella on Round Midnight had that velvety layer attached to her voice which I missed on the Oladra.
It remain obviously personal references, but for me it was clear that a technically superior apparatus does not mean that the end result is more enjoyable music to my ears.

Bravo to you for performing this comparative audition and for following your ears!

Just because a component is more expensive does not mean that you or I or anyone of us will prefer it to the less expensive component.

Just because a component we own is upgraded to a new version does not mean that we necessarily will prefer the new version. (This is why I advise people not to upgrade automatically unless the person actually auditions the new version of his component and decides he actually prefers it to the prior version.)

I think that sometimes the more expensive component, or the new version of an existing component, increases resolution and detail, but such may not be an unambiguous improvement if somehow it impacts emotional connection or musicality in a countervailing, negative way.

PS: An example of this for me personally -- in a different context -- is that I tend to prefer the original boron cantilever versions of cartridges I like to the "new and improved" diamond cantilever version of the same cartridge.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
Bravo to you for performing this comparative audition and for following your ears!

Just because a component is more expensive does not mean that you or I or anyone of us will prefer it to the less expensive component.

Just because a component we own is upgraded to a new version does not mean that we necessarily will prefer the new version. (This is why I advise people not to upgrade automatically unless the person actually auditions the new version of his component and decides he actually prefers it to the prior version.)

I think that sometimes the more expensive component, or the new version of an existing component, increases resolution and detail, but such may not be an unambiguous improvement if somehow it impacts emotional connection or musicality in a countervailing, negative way.

PS: An example of this for me personally -- in a different context -- is that I tend to prefer the original boron cantilever versions of cartridges I like to the "new and improved" diamond cantilever version of the same cartridge.
Antipodes ethos is all about the music, Antipodes aims to reproduce the sound of real voices and instruments in real spaces, rather than deliver a sound spectacular - we cannot emphasise this enough
We design for music lovers, so we won’t be drawn into competing on the specifications, designing for what we call ‘false detail’, or turning music into the aural equivalent of a special effects movie, because to do so would lose the emotional connection with the recorded performance. If that means we are not for everyone, then we are comfortable with that, because we figure we will be in the good company of other music lovers.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
The Antipodes USB solution seems not to be PCIe based, can you shed some light on this?
Thx

Matt

Antipodes Audio approach differs from others, USB is taken directly off the Player board utilizing the USB Bus into its own output, for the previously mentioned, isolation, reclocking, and regeneration.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@OLADRA
What do you think about releasing a stand alone device with your new USB engine with one USB input and one USB output?
Thx

Matt

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
@OLADRA
What do you think about releasing a stand alone device with your new USB engine with one USB input and one USB output?
Thx

Matt
Hi Matt, We have discussed this and a plethora of other options internally, we have in the past released similar with the USB S20 Re-Clocker.
Currently we are focusing on the current range and getting the upgrades and new G4 models into customers racks.
Never rule anything out

Reactions: matthias

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
Great review, one question:
Was the Oladra the latest G4 or a former generation?
Thx

Matt
Original, there are no G4 OLADRA in the wild at present, shipping later in the month.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@OLADRA
Is it possible to stream via UPnP from a Macbook running Audirvana Studio to an G4 Antipodes K21?
Audirvana Studio is able to stream via UPnP to an endpoint, so the question is only about the K21.
Thank you

Matt

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
@OLADRA
Is it possible to stream via UPnP from a Macbook running Audirvana Studio to an G4 Antipodes K21?
Audirvana Studio is able to stream via UPnP to an endpoint, so the question is only about the K21.
Thank you

Matt
Hi Matt, Yes, what you propose is certainly possible, you may find that using local files on the K21 to be superior in sound, but if you are wedded
to the Audivarna Studio ecosystem, then UPnP playback to a K21 utilizing MPD in "end-point" mode would be the solution.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
you may find that using local files on the K21 to be superior in sound
I do not have local files but would use Audirvana for streaming from Qobuz.
Can you suggest a superior sounding solution for streaming from Qobuz with the K21(no Roon please :cool: )?
Thx

Matt

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Can you suggest a superior sounding solution for streaming from Qobuz with the K21(no Roon please :cool: )?
Squeeze provides Qobuz integration. Squeeze is the best sounding option in my humble opinion.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Squeeze provides Qobuz integration. Squeeze is the best sounding option in my humble opinion.
Did you try JPLAY for iOS with your Antipodes?
Thx

Matt

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
Did you try JPLAY for iOS with your Antipodes?
Thx

Matt
Mixed feedback on the Antipodes forum regarding JPLAY, I have also yet to give it a go personally.
Echo @kennyb123 Squeeze with Qobuz sounds great, worth a test :)

Reactions: kennyb123

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
how do I play with Jplay on my antipodes ?

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
Last edited:
Reactions: Darmstadtium

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing