What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

the_nines

Jul 6, 2019
EMT - TSD 15N SFL

In a nutshell .... "Excellent dynamics, open, rich and vibrant timbers, robust yet never bloated, fast, true, and able to reach into the heart of any recording".

I couldn't agree more.

Presently mounted on a Thomas Schick graphite head-shell and SME M2-12R tonearm (System B in my sig).

A real pleasure to listen to.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI

Attachments

• PXL_20220125_011100057 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220125_011100057 (1).jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 56
  • TT.2018.jpg
    TT.2018.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 57

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
On the Brinkmann Balance, a Reed P3-12 with (considering) Etsuro Bordeau and a Graham Phantom III 10.5 with Lyra Kleos (considering) Etna Lambda. On the Avid Acutus, a SME V-9 with Kondo silver tonearm rewire and Miyajima Zero.

*would certainly appreciate any thoughts on my (considering) choices.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ortofon Verismo on Brinkmann 12.1

Miyajima Labs Infinity Mono on Kuzma 4 Point 9​

If I may inquire , did you journey via other mono cartridges to the Infinity ? I would be interested in your impressions of this mono cartridge.

cytovette

Aug 17, 2023
Alabama, USA
I am using a Hana SL that has been upgraded by Andy Kim with a boron cantilever and ML stylus. The table is a modified Technics 1200 with an Origin Live Onyx tonearm, external PSU and Ian Mac bearing. I wore out the SL stylus and prefer the ML sound and having it retipped was more cost effective than buying a new cartridge.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
IMG_0133.jpeg
Out with the old and trusted Kleos (my third) and in with the NEW Etna Lambda. Let the sonic journey deepen! My head is simply in the clouds about this latest acquisition. More later [|;^)>

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Koetsu Blue Lace since May 2023.

20230505_181313.jpg 20230505_181313.jpg blu2.jpg
20230505_181302.jpg

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
The Etna Lambda is up and running, shows some amazing promise, but of course, a little frayed around the edges yet. From what Roy Gregory said in a recent review, it’s going to hit the 30 hour mark and then make you wonder if something went terribly wrong, if it somehow suffered sudden infant death syndrome (my words, sorry). Purportedly is OK and you just must push through it. I also tried his recommendation for the Clearaudio Cartridge, “break-in” test record with continuous loops of pink noise for break in. Not so sure about this method at all. After a few runs of being on those grooves for a while, I noticed some tan colored crud on my stylus that needed to be cleaned off twice. Stopped that! And started playing Lps. Hmmm. I feel like I should have set it up on an old auto-return, direct-drive Sony (PSX7) table that I have with a sacrificial vinyl (which I have employed before). Just to push through this arduous period of getting the cantilever former to relax, and the whole motor system to break in a bit so I could move onto final adjusted position. But the Etna Lambda sounds incredibly promising and is already showing that it can easily accomplish aspects of music with a confident finesse that the Kleos simply could not quite get to. Truly look forward to hearing it get settled in. IMG_0161.jpeg

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
IMG_0270.jpeg
Number two of recent acquisitions, coming in anything but second place… Just arrived home from a fun road trip visiting dear friends for a spectacular evening of listening and catching up. Precious time. Also picked up this beauty. It’s now carefully mounted and painstakingly aligned the Esturo Urushi Bordeaux on my Reed P3 Pernambuco 12”.

Cold and right out of the box this tiny masterpiece is a true contender! I’m simply gobsmacked.

First album up: Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams.
Perhaps already the best cart I’ve ever possessed.

When the mid bass thickness resolves and a bit more fine detail comes to play with some heavy rotations, OH MY!

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
So after half a dozen albums, and an afternoon of the listing, the Bordeaux is remarkably coming into its own amazingly well. At this point, much faster than the Etna to please, but that might just be its musical kindness showing early. I don’t doubt that neither have shown their true potential and adeptness of strengths and subtleties.

Perhaps a difference between the two, the Bordeaux seems to shine immediately because of its subtle sweetness and warm tonality being somewhat more forgiving initially and the Etna’s social awkward struggling a bit due to its emphasis on ultimate precision. Two very competent storytellers with a somewhat different posture, different approach, and demeanor, in telling their view of the musical story initially. More later…

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Good seeing an Ikeda. Great cartridges!
Currently I am using a Goldenberg Maestro. We will be using a DS Audio W3 with a new optical phono stage available from Angus Leung at WestminsterLab once it arrives in late October. (small chassis on top of the Quest pre-amplifier.

Attachments

• DS-W3.jpg
    DS-W3.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Audiofreak71

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_6951.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing