What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

why not try the DaVa fc cart, you may very well adore it.... ;)
I am absolutely sure i would Leif ! But the Grand Cru was available now, can go on both my LT arm and SME arm and is a match without SUT to my Io. I have room for a third arm on my TT, i would not be surprised if a DaVa ended up there at some point ! :)

Love Andy’s no nonsense, well tested valves. He is the man!

He was the one who truly educated me in tubes during the mid 90s. He always wanted me to call him by long distance than doing emails or writing mails. He clearly described to me each NOS brand's characteristics and made recommendations specifically honed in to the tube amps or preamps I had. Indeed a wizard. I have several of his catalogs, via snail mail then. LOL

Last edited:
On the subject of VTS.

I’ve had so many pleasurable dealings with this man over the years, and he has found me, and so many other people, some of the BEST vacuum tubes ever.

He will share ideas, passionate love of the hobby, the music and valuable knowledge, but he simply doesn’t talk crap with you. And his wisdom and no nonsense approach often leads folks to believe he must be much much older then he is.

Just one of so many examples. One time, some two years after Andy and I had another conversation at length about tube rolls, this time, for my Aesthetix Rhea phono pre and about the importance of that first gain stage character. I wind up with a box in the mail from up state, Rockford Michigan.

Our conversation had gone something like this; if I had anything on my wish list it was that I was curious if a quad of NOS Harleen Amperex Bugle Boys, hand picked by Mr. Bouwman would add their little sparkle to the mix. We had tried the “go to” Telefunken smooth plates in the first gain stage and they were marvelous. Linear as heck, top to bottom, and not at all dry in this circuit. But I was curious.

Well, I open the box and find a handwritten receipt that says “upon your approval” and four perfectly matched 12AX7s individually wrapped. Popped them in and of course they were dead silent, except for the beautiful music that they made! Who does that? So I wrote a check and added a somewhat astonished, thank you letter.

You just don’t find people like this much anymore.

Last edited:
On the subject of VTS.

I’ve had so many pleasurable dealings with this man over the years, and he has found me, and so many other people, some of the BEST vacuum tubes ever.

He will share ideas, passionate love of the hobby, the music and valuable knowledge, but he simply doesn’t talk crap with you. And his wisdom and no nonsense approach often leads folks to believe he must be much much older then he is.

Just one of so many examples. One time, some two years after Andy and I had another conversation at length about tube rolls, this time, for my Aesthetix Rhea phono pre and about the importance of that first gain stage character. I wind up with a box in the mail from up state, Rockford Michigan.

Our conversation had gone something like this; if I had anything on my wish list it was that I was curious if a quad of NOS Harleen Amperex Bugle Boys, hand picked by Mr. Bouwman would add their little sparkle to the mix. We had tried the “go to” Telefunken smooth plates in the first gain stage and they were marvelous. Linear as heck, top to bottom, and not at all dry in this circuit. But I was curious.

Well, I open the box and find a handwritten receipt that says “upon your approval” and four perfectly matched 12AX7s individually wrapped. Popped them in and of course they were dead silent, except for the beautiful music that they made! Who does that? So I wrote a check and added a somewhat astonished, thank you letter.

You just don’t find people like this much anymore.
Classy guy. I have cut out some quotes from his catalog which he mailed to me by snail mail. This is my favorite. . .img_0199.jpg

@krugdoktor tell me about that 'concorde' body cart, if you like.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing